Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (House / Dubstep Remix)

Mekamodo

You've got like 3 minutes of intro with the original song backing you up, but once I got past that things started to pick up for me. Your production quality is pretty lackluster and while I know that house music typically has a good 4 on the floor beat, the drumbeat you've got going on doesn't really feel housey at all. Maybe you could make yourself a drumloop based on some house material and resample that as a loop, and chop/slice to mix it up at places?

Also, you HAVE to get rid of the original song underneath-- for me it felt like 3:30 of intro until the real meat kicked in. If you want to retain the feel of the original for an intro, you don't have to copy it directly... Find a good chime/bell sample or program an FM synth to get the kind of sound you want to get the main arpeggio, play with it a bit.

As for house, your bass sounds adequate but could be fuller, but for the dubstep section it just didn't have the fatty WOBWOB at all. I'm not too familiar with making dubstep bass though :< Maybe someone else could share some insight?

Don't get discouraged, this is a good start and I think if you took more time to really work at what you wanted you'll get there-- It sounds like you know where you want to go so hopefully you'll get there :)

First of all, it's awesome to see you on here! I really liked your Zelda 2 Fidget remix. That said, what everyone said is equally valid. The electro-house like beat is cool, but loops for too long without any variation. It really does feel like an introduction, but not an especially itto bitto litto introduction. It's just too slow. The wubwub half-time part of the beat doesn't really work very well when it's introduced because it doesn't change the backing instrumentation nearly enough. 3 minutes of the same thing is just bleh.

3:54 is what I was waiting for, haha! On a more positive side, your usual style is fully there, and 3:54 is really great. The kind of fidget-y glitch sound that made me a fan of yours is fully in place! As good as that was, you can't overlook the 3:54 buildup of one loop with some mild hits and synth stabs. That doesn't fly by my standards, and certainly not the judge's. If you want to work on the arrangement, shorten the intro significantly, and either remove the dubstep interlude altogether or really make it your own.

And like the others said, the real in-game song is taking too much place. Should be used lightly and well placed.

Or, in the case of being accepted (if that's what you're going for), not at all. If you're not going for an OCR submission then just tone down the direct source usage a bit.

I like your style, it's just that we need more your stuff in the arrangement than the source.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool use of snare slicin'. The direct source use is still there, but it's not as blatantly in-your-face. 1:00 is super awesome! The *step part doesn't really blend in that well to everything, and just comes out of left field. The filtered buildup to the fidget drop is amazing, but the dubstep part is just :-|. It feels like it could use heavy improvement or just plain skippin'. The end is great(especially with how you play with the releases of the notes), but I feel like it could use a little bit more variation near the end, or some sort of closure to the track. Solid work, regardless, though!