Lava Reef Sonic Remix - "Molten"

Aviators

My second remix everyone! (Funny, both my remixes are Sonic) The first was a little 'so-so', but this one I'm really feeling something. Lava Reef is one of the most memorable tunes from the genesis days, right up there with Green Hill. I've always thought the tune would sound great if it was slowed down a bunch, and taken to the next level with some dark synths and piano. So, this remix was born! I titled it 'Molten' and you can listen to it or even download it right here:

http://soundcloud.com/aviatorscompositions/molten

So, this remix is one that I am really committed to finishing and finalizing, and I'm going to submit it when it's done. I have no idea if it'll get through, but hey, I'm determined to at least try. I threw this together with a lot of time and effort, and now I'd love it if you can help me out by commenting on soundcloud, or replying on the thread here. Just tell me what you would like less of, more of, or whatever changes you would make to it. Critique is the best way to improve, so please critique away! :grin:

-^VIATORS

I like your attitude, so here we go!

First off, great

, and an interesting direction with the remix. I think a slower tempo works well with it, although perhaps not quite this slow. Have you tried 90-100 BPM? 80 just feels too sluggish.

Wasn't expecting too much after that really weak synth intro (lose that imo, or at least make that sound better!), but it gets much better after that. BUT WAIT! What's the deal with all this reverb? It's like I'm listening from across a field or something! You have to sort that out otherwise it's really hard to tell what needs improving when it's masked under a sopping wet layer of reverb. Don't know what you did to it, but undo it so the instruments come forward, and you can really infuse some emotion into this 80s power ballad style that you've got going on.

Arrangement wise, it drags on a bit, probably due to the tempo, but I'd also expect a much quieter section before the 3rd and final chorus really hits. An orchestral string backing there would be a stirring addition to it as well.

Nice job so far, the reverb's the main issue so sort that out and repost it :)

This is way too slow(while I do like slowed down mixes sometimes, this is a bit too far!) and the synths at the beginning are weaksauce. The string patches are okay, but everything is really quiet and reverb'd to hell and back. The drums are really really repetitive, and I have like the most repetitive drum programming ever, so the fact that this is readily apparent to me is a problem! The arrangement feels too sluggish, and attempts to rectify this situation aren't really working because all of the instruments feel way too weak. Some hi-hats would be nice, too.

I agree about the reverb and repetitive drums. Intro definitely needs some work too.

I think you should rethink some of your sound choices, or try to find better ones. The sounds you chose sound well together, but I think it could be better ;)

I disagree about the slow tempo though. I think the feel fits the ambiance nicely ^^ Considering the speed-up is not a bad idea though :)

Arrangement could use some more variation, even though the flow feels natural. More melodic exploration could be pretty interesting I think.

I enjoyed this! I'd love to hear an update :-D

EDIT: I don't precisely know why, but your remix almost instantly made me think of

. Oh well. :)