OCR00544 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Dino Band Rehearsal"

orkybash

• 3 weeks later...

The original was probably my favorite song from that game, and this style fits it PERFECTLY. The only thing I would have liked to be different would for there to be more of it. It's a little short. Also, it would have been cool to add another instrument (jazz style saxophone or clarinet maybe?). Great mix though.

• 1 month later...

I love this remix! Personally, I think it is the best one on the site. It sounds like its own song, but also sound exactly like the original, which was a great song to begin with!

I don't know if McVaffe ever looks around here, but I thought I'd let him know that this song inspired me to draw a picture from that game.

yoshi2.jpg

I listened to this song as I drew it, inked it, and colored it!

Thanks for the great beats for this great game, McVaffe!

The remix it self is excellent as far as sonic quality is concerned, but has little variation and is lacking layers. BUT WAIT! In this case it is a good thing! It is exactly what is called for and is by no means a condescending comment. Its great and perfect the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...

This song is excellent and just what the doctor ordered, but I have two major gripes.

A) An excellent piano sound is used but the melody/bass is far too much separated, ruining for me what would have been a very realistic piece.

B) I can't hear them perfectly, but I'm fairly sure that some (well most) of the bass octave to chord transitions would be impossible - it's just not possible to move one's hands instantly. That 'holding' effect comes as a result of pedaling, which I didn't hear, as it should have affected the melody as well in that case. And, obviously, the sound of the notes.

But I'm getting picky here.

9.5/10 for this awesome piece - kudos to McV for daring to do ragtime. :D

• 3 months later...

Yoshi's Rag is one my favorite ReMixes that has come out of this site, period. It is very realistic and incorporates naught of the techno genre, which is pleasing to those of us who you might call "music purists". This piece fits very well the atmosphere of the original game in its light-heartedness and fun air. The piece starts off with a ragtime-style piano and light percussion until it is joined by the bass at about the 25" mark. The piece pulls into a higher key for the last thirty seconds or so before ending at a total of 1 minute and 30 seconds, and for the quality of the piece this is far too short a length. McVaffe is highly acclaimed in the ReMixing circle, and rightly so, not just for this mix but for his others. If the site administrator decided to make an album of this site's best, Yoshi's Rag would be a prime contender. A great piece of music ReMixed flawlessly by the incomparable McVaffe. Not quite as rowdy as McVaffe's "Phazeremix Rag", but for all intents and purposes I believe I prefer this piece over his ragtime mix from Super Mario Bros. 2. A recommended download for all.

I love it when McVaffe does ragtime. I remember back in his old AOL MIDI days he had quite a few original ragtime songs that were very enjoyable. Yoshi's Rag is a great piece of work, but not my favorite McV ragtime tune. That would go to the MIDI titled simply "MCVRAG2.MID" I got from AOL about 45 years ago (it seems). Keep up the rag!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah short and so sweet...

This reminds me so much of one of those old timey ragtime player pianos.

Normally I'd complain about how short a mix like this is, but it just works as it is. It's so tightly encapsulated that to draw it out would ruin it.

My only objection is the ending; it's too abrupt. Wham! and it's over...

Still this is a great little mix and worth checking out.

• 4 months later...

They should have renamed this Super McVaffe World 2. Out of 6 tracks, he's done 4 and they are all awesome! This reminds me of that ragtime song "hello, my honey" or whatever it's called. It is short, but that's the only fault I see. Great piano work and a unique take on the track. Ragtime rocks.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00544 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Dino Band Rehearsal"