Codemasters Hacked

Admiral_C

My brother recently received an email from Codemasters saying that they got H4xxorD and some information (email, credit card, passwords, etc) was compromised.

If you've played any of the games they've published, and given them information for it, you should be aware. I have played the same games as my brother typically, but I didn't get the notification email in this case.

Just FYI.

I personally believe they deserve it.

Sometimes it is important to remind people that making games is NOT OK.

:D

All kidding aside, what's with hackers targeting video game companies so much recently? I can understand without condoning the attack on Sony as a form of retribution against them for what they did to the guy who managed to get past the PS3 security measures, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. If any hackers out there are reading this, please just stop. Many of you are probably gamers, and in the end of the day, you're only hurting the gamers (i.e. yourselves).

:D

All kidding aside, what's with hackers targeting video game companies so much recently? I can understand without condoning the attack on Sony as a form of retribution against them for what they did to the guy who managed to get past the PS3 security measures, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. If any hackers out there are reading this, please just stop. Many of you are probably gamers, and in the end of the day, you're only hurting the gamers (i.e. yourselves).

At the end of the day they're just thieves with computers.

These latest attacks have no other purpose than to just see if it can be done (oh and of course make money dishonestly). Guess they are bored of Sony's complete inability to secure anything and looking for something more challenging

Or like previously stated maybe they just thought it would be ironic because of the companies name

Personally, I think the Sony hack was just blood in the water. Now gaming companies are being seen (maybe rightfully so) as easy targets for personal info.

If Sony got hacked, what's to say the smaller companies are going to have better security. I think this is going to affect me signing up for games in the long run though. You do have to give up a lot of personal information, and with the recent spate of hackings, I'm not sure I want it out there anymore.

Speaking of the Sony incident, where's all the outrage about Citibank being hacked and not telling anyone for a month?

http://techland.time.com/2011/06/09/now-citibank-hacked-though-admits-breach-one-month-late/

Oh my God, my video game network got hacked? RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE

One of the biggest companies in the world, present in 140 countries and controlling hundreds of billions (if not trillions) of dollars gets hacked and doesn't tell anyone about it for a month? DUHHH WHO CARES ABOUT THAT I ONLY CARE ABOUT MY VIDEO GAMES

Hypocrites.

Speaking of the Sony incident, where's all the outrage about Citibank being hacked and not telling anyone for a month?

Hypocrites.

My excuse for not caring about that is due to not living in the united states and having an account with this bank.

However if i had a account with this bank yes i would be extremely angry if my bank had failed to inform me of what had happened there.

The reason that game companies being hacked is getting more coverage then stuff like the bank situation is due to the fact that everyone on this site is a gamer and its much closer to our hearts, but yeah i do agree that the fact the bank getting hacked should get more coverage.

I am not angry at the hacking situation, if anything i'm tired of the fact that these hackers have not been traced yet. ip tracking shouldn't be that tough after all.

Either way people keep a lookout on what is happening and thank you for highlighting the fact that codemasters has been hacked now, keep vigilent and watchful of more then just game companies getting hacked and hopefully we can all come out of this ok.

My excuse for not caring about that is due to not living in the united states and having an account with this bank.

There is a difference between caring the situation because you are personally affected by it and raging at Sony just because.

I don't wanna put words in his mouth, but I think zircon aimed that comment more at people who spout wide generalizations like 'Sony deserved it', 'Sony should give us $6000 dollars', 'Sony lied to its customers', 'Sony cannot protect their shit'. Those accusations simply sound childish and since they are the most vocal, they make video game fans look bad in general.

Personally, I just find it irritating that those thieves would get support from people just because they justify their criminal attention-grabbing activities by saying they do it in the name of freedom of speech, freedom of information, etc.

If anything, we should all be pissed at these thieves and not whatever company they decide to attack.

Citibank is also a terrible company. Coincidence?

But considering this is a videogame related forum not sure why wed post about citibank or any other huge greed machine. Doesn't seem relevent.

either way both sides are in the wrong: the attackers obviosly weither they think its justified or not, are in the wrong both because its an illegal activity, and innocents can get hurt, and the ones doing it for profit and no other reason are just thieves.

And the attacked, at least the ones with poor/terrible security measures, are in the wrong for letting it happen. If they get hacked because some master hacker broke through all their stuff and decypted their data with magic well nothing could be done. If they fall to simple sql injections, use outdated software, left all data in plaintext, etc etc, then they didn't do their job. Generally, its the later