*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Prologue'

djpretzel

remix name: Prologue

remixer name: FM

game: Ocarina of Time

email: mikezaz@gmail.com

Kind of a bad name, I know, but it's supposed to be the introduction to a suite of sorts, so what was I gonna do? It covers, in order, Chamber of the Sages (OoT), Here theme (WW), Title screen (aLttP), Deku Tree theme (OoT), and the theme when you get the Ocarina (OoT).

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 48 "Chamber of Sages" (:00-:29) & 03 "Deku Tree" (2:33-4:45) & 18 "Get Fairy Ocarina" (4:45-5:00)

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Title" (loz3-01.spc) [1:36-1:52]

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker OST - 103 "The Legendary Hero" (:44-1:35)

I love how in the WIP forums, everyone's like "OMG, this is great" but they didn't scrutinize the level of arrangement at all. It's generally too basic relative to the source tunes used, thereby being too straightforward of a medley piece transposed to orchestration.

Simplicity in the arrangement isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in this case, the arrangement wasn't particularly interpretive, so yes indeed, it suffers from medleyitis. Some of the themes were already orchestral to begin with, like "Deku Tree," and thus sounded too similar to the version you had. The fact that "Deku Tree" used up about half the track's time yet just ended up possessing minor creative changes hurt the track vis-à-vis the guidelines. I'll also point out briefly that the lack of thought-out transitions wasn't a big bother. New sections pieced together fine with the previous ones to me.

This gave me the same issues as Shnabubula's Front Mission mix "Infinite Natalie" in that the composition was essentially the source tunes kept nearly verbatim and used very conservatively. You certainly brought forth some ideas for new instrumentation that provided support and embellishment for those themes though. That kind of approach reconciling with the standards here is still a debatable issue. My feeling is that if you transpose something to a new genre, it's gotta be bringing it on all levels to get my vote.

The panning of the string work at :45 for your coverage of "The Legendary Hero" was way too drastic. Actually, for a good portion of the track, most of the sound is panned left and the right channel is nearly dead in comparison. Why would you do that though?

The samples were alright, and the subdued atmosphere was obvious but it lacked texture like Binnie pointed out. The instrument layering was decent enough to mask some of the synthetic nature of the sounds, but there were points like (e.g. :05, :47, 1:05, 3:34, 3:41, 4:00, others) where the string or brass samples are exposed by very artificial-sounding starts or finishes. Js with even more scrutinizing ears for sample work like this might have even more problems with this than I did. You gotta focus some attention on details like that; hopefully you can get some tips of humanization from the ReMixing forum.

The things that lacked here were sample humanization in some spots, and that did have a bit in part to do with having too thin of a texture where mistakes were too easily spotted. Hope to hear Dan and/or Gray offer their insight. Arrangement is playing it really safely as well. While it's not great in execution, I wouldn't call it mediocre. Work on this further, Mike.

NO (resubmit)

There are nice ideas here. I particularly like your woodwind writing. But the arrangement is fairly straightforward most of the time. I think you could expand on.

I know there was some controversy in the WIP forum about this being sort of a subdued piece. I have no problem with that, I think it's a personal taste issue. It works in this context.

I'm sorry to say, but the intro is pretty dreadful. The string attacks are way too strong. Those should be softened out into slower more blossoming lines. The harp writing in the beginning is also not very good (it gets better as it goes on).

Actually, binnie/larry, there are some great/high quality samples here, but it's used poorly and processed simply.

Production as a whole is pretty good. More EQ work is needed I think, it's pretty dull sounding, as is more reverb and depth placement.

What the piece needs a bit more dynamic contrast. For a piece of this nature, where's the emotion or the texture?

This is a mixed bag. There's some sophisticated stuff going on here, and there's also some sloppy/simple stuff going on here. I would suggest more work on the arrangement. Expand with it a bit more, play with the themes a bit more. This needs more instrumentation and orchestration. Some parts are a bit too sparse.

Really loved the ending parts though. This has a lot of great potential. FM I know of your talents, with more polish with this or your other mixes it could be something special, but at this stage, it's a borderline NO.