Sony Vita

The Damned

Wow, all this talk about new systems and games from this years E3, and we don't have anything to say about the Vita?

I looked, and the old PSP2 threads are months old (one is a year old). Time for a new one, I would think. Most of the info in the old threads is terribly inaccurate and outdated.

First up: memory cards! These proprietary cards look like microSDHC card, but are in fact a new format designed for use with the Vita. They come in 4, 8 16 and 32 GB sizes. Oh Sony, you and your proprietary formats...

Second: That price. $250US for a Wifi model and $300 for a 3G model (in the US, using AT&T...). Damn. This is worth looking at now with that kind of a price tag.

Such a low price for all that hardware makes it far more interesting. But they have to avoid the DS, PSP and 3DS launch mistakes: lack of good launch titles.

Third: I wonder how long it will take for someone to crack it and we'll have emulators for it.

Sorry I completely forgot about my "NGP" thread.

The $249 is insanely competitive, it makes the 3DS look retarded expensive in comparison. Great price for a change

psvitacards01.gif

This picture is the Vita's game media, currently called "NVG" cards, proprietary flash carts not unlike 3DS. They come in 2GB and 4GB for devs to use, and have space writable for game saves, patches, etc.

psvitacards04.jpg

this one is just a comparison of standard SD card size

Bad news is UMDs, like the Go, do not in any form work on the PS Vita.

Good news, if you did buy stuff off PSN, I believe its been confirmed it will work on the Vita

Ahh, found better pictures at Neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28508220#post28508220

playstation-vita-20110607104811904.jpg

They look very close to microSD card, but subtle differences show they aren't SD cards at all.

sandisk_16gb_class_2_microsd_card.jpg

Notice the notch on the side of the Vita card, as opposed to the much longer notch on the SD card.

Amending first post to correct assumption.

I'm pretty sure that I've already stated this in many threads before, so to avoid sounding like a broken record I'll just say that I'm very excited about the PSVita.

At the $250 price point, it's pretty much a must buy for all the juice it's packing. The $300 3G version might have been much more attractive to me if it weren't bloody attached to AT&T. Oh well.

It's true however that it looks like it'll face the same weak launch lineup that The Damned mentioned, but with total backwards compatibility with all things PSP(save UMD thank god) and anything and everything else PSN-related, I don't think that'll be TOO much of a problem. The fact that PSP games can actually have camera controls and other functions such as aiming mapped to the new analog stick is sure to make some people happy. I'm also glad that they'll have an online party mode where I can chat with friends over the aether regardless of what games they're playing on the system, as well as other mainstay features that XBL has had for years. Good on ya, Sony.

Games like Dragon's Crown and Ruin, which are supposed to have cross console functionality with the PS3 through cloud saving and other methods, seem pretty great for those that have PS3s already. Of course there's the extra hardware cost, but is it possible that Sony could already beat Nintendo at their Wii U game? Time will tell.

At the end of the day, I feel that while the DS has proven that handheld consoles can still sell metric fucktons, I don't really think that they've managed to truly permeate into the hardcore space. Assuming that the PSVita manages to latch on with the greater gaming public through near-HD game experiences and great online functionality, I think it could really be a win for Sony.

Here's to hoping.

The $249 is insanely competitive, it makes the 3DS look retarded expensive in comparison. Great price for a change

Part of the reason the Wii sold so insanely well was because it was cheap, so this could be good for Sony. Plus, with all of the lackluster 3DS responses based on the mediocre launch lineup and the weak battery, combined with PSVITA's awesome launch lineup, they might actually be able to break into the handheld market.

At the end of the day, I feel that while the DS has proven that handheld consoles can still sell metric fucktons, I don't really think that they've managed to truly permeate into the hardcore space. Assuming that the PSVita manages to latch on with the greater gaming public through near-HD game experiences and great online functionality, I think it could really be a win for Sony.

Didn't the PSP go for the "hardcore" route? They sold it as the mature portable with awesome hardcore games like God of War and FPSde jour. They also touted it's much larger and higher res screen, and how you could watch movie and play music on it as well.

If they couldn't do it last time, why should that change this time? While it may have some new tricks up its sleeve, it's the natural progression of the first hardware. Nothing has really changed this time.

i don't know when i started feeling this way but it's getting tougher and tougher for me to get excited about portable game systems. the vita looks pretty killer in terms of hardware and pricing, and i want to get hyped about it, but the 3ds and vita both just seem sort of outdated to me. my friends and i do most portable gaming through the app store or android market at this point and it just seems like that's the way portable gaming is headed, realistically. i think that's a more exciting market right now with all the indie development going on, and if i'm going to commit around $50 for a game at this point, i think i'd rather it be for a home console.

i think the xperia play is kind of interesting. i dig the concept of getting games on your phone through a ps-branded service or whatever it is they've got going on. it might be cool to see sony/nintendo/other publishers and developers explore that kind of business model on the phone market. i still don't know if i'd pay $50 for a portable game right now, but i'd definitely pay something like $20 for a game that's much more substantial than the typical games on the phone market that cost a buck, but that isn't quite as full-featured as a console release.

like i said though i already admitted i'm disillusioned with portable gaming so i could be way off the mark here

If they couldn't do it last time, why should that change this time? While it may have some new tricks up its sleeve, it's the natural progression of the first hardware. Nothing has really changed this time.

Actually most of the things that held the PSP back are pretty much fixed with Vita. Disc based media with slow load times? Gone. No touch screen? 2 multi touch areas. One bad analog nub? Two working analog sticks. They are pushing for the casual stuff now with PlayStation Suite android market-like stuff, and having about every feature you can get on a tablet these days.

A very interesting approach over all, a big improvement over PSP and the ridiculous Go.

As far as the memory cards, they look similar to Sony's Memory Stick Micro (M2) but with less slots on the side.. officially they have not announced its media expansion slot's format, which is odd. It may unfortunately wind up being proprietary to Vita :/

I meant more in terms of "look, ours is the cool system".

The touchscreen is obvious. The DS showed that touchscreen gaming was not only viable but completely fun on some games.

But the inclusion of the touchpad on the back comes off as overcompensation. "Oh shit, we have to catch up! How can we make up for not having one last time?"

It may work, it may not. We'll see as developers find ways to use it that are actually useful. After all, there were many early DS games that tried to use the touchscreen when it wasn't very intuitive or functional.

We may see games that completely ignore the touchpad on the back.

Yeah, I don't see it being used by many games. But still its there if a dev wants it.

It also looks like some of the developers know not to push gimmicks with the new Vita features, Uncharted has lots touch/etc features, but are completely optional to use or not.

Still remains, PSP lacked features DS had, and had design flaws. Vita, so far, looks like a better platform as a whole, matching everything the competition has and then some. The only thing it "lacks" this time is 3D, which so far hasn't been proven a good selling point for 3DS after all

There will be a PS3 version of Dragon's Crown, and apparently there's going to be some cross-console functionality or something. Source right here.

As to answer your question Damned, much like Crowbar says, it isn't so much that it's going to be this new amazing piece of hardware that'll wire into your brain and seep fun into your head through a straw as much as it's Sony "fixing" everything that was wrong with the original PSP that was stopping it from being bigger than the DS(second analog stick, flash carts and internal memory as opposed to UMD, etc.) as well as adding MUCH more power, "new" control methods to experiment with, and much better online connectivity than any of Nintendo's current offerings(although admittedly this may not be a huge advantage once Nintendo finally figures out how to get on the internet).

I'm not saying Nintendo and their 3DS/Wii U are down for the count, but the PSVita is definitely looking like a superior contender in my opinion.

I was under the impression that the PSP didn't sell as well as the DS because:

1. The price of a DS was lower.

2. The DS had better battery life.

3. The DS had the usual Nintendo first-party titles that sell systems.

4. The DS had a very unique control system at the time while the PSP offered the standard (but still perfectly fine) d-pad and buttons. This was a significant difference in 2006, but now, everything has a touchscreen. It's not unique anymore.

5. Certain major third-party titles went to the DS and not the PSP (namely Japan and and it's lust for all tings Dragon Quest), but this is less of a factor and more of an observation.

Adding a second analog pad and making it even more powerful under the hood isn't "fixing" the PSP. The PSP had superior everything (screen size, storage, media support, graphics, etc) and yet it still took second place over a system that was technologically inferior.

I was under the impression that the PSP didn't sell as well as the DS because:

1. The price of a DS was lower.

2. The DS had better battery life.

3. The DS had the usual Nintendo first-party titles that sell systems.

4. The DS had a very unique control system at the time while the PSP offered the standard (but still perfectly fine) d-pad and buttons. This was a significant difference in 2006, but now, everything has a touchscreen. It's not unique anymore.

5. Certain major third-party titles went to the DS and not the PSP (namely Japan and and it's lust for all tings Dragon Quest), but this is less of a factor and more of an observation.

Adding a second analog pad and making it even more powerful under the hood isn't "fixing" the PSP. The PSP had superior everything (screen size, storage, media support, graphics, etc) and yet it still took second place over a system that was technologically inferior.

The PSVITA price is better than the 3DS.

The PSVITA has better battery life than the 3DS.

The PSVITA has some great second-party titles that sell systems.

Got nuthin' on this.

The PSVITA has all sorts of Third Party Support.

I think you may be seeing it from the other side, but there was a massive amount of people clamouring for a second analog stick

that, by itself, not only makes FPS games actually viable (seriously, every single FPS that was attempted on the PSP was a bona fide POS), but allows every single third person anything with a controllable camera to not have to resort to some of the most convoluted control schemes ever devised just to barely work

obviously this is only a perspective on the design itself and doesn't get into if it will make the system more successful

I have to agree with Golgagh. I don't think you see how HUGE adding just a second analog stick to the Vita is, Damned. If there's one common theme in every complaint about the PSP, it was the lack of a decent solution for aiming, strafing, and camera controls.

You're right that touchscreens aren't unique, but at this current state in portable gaming, it's pretty much standard, and this thing has capacitive multi-touch front and back touch pads. In fact, here's an entire list of the handheld's specs. Ultimately it's about the games, but with so much power under the hood and so many control scheme possibilities(not to mention a price that makes paying $250 for the 3DS kind of a ripoff), there's nothing stopping devs from going nuts on the thing.

The hardest part I think other than getting people and devs to latch onto the system will be dealing with modding and piracy. I really think that Sony should deal with this in a proactive way, and just send a message to all the technophiles who want to do what they want with their system to "go nuts with it". Hell, give them a set of tools to see what they can come up with. Maybe challenge them. As for piracy, well they managed to stave it off for a long time with the PS3. There's gotta be something they could do to prevent unregistered/copied games/roms from being played on the system, while still making it relatively open.

Also keep in mind the original psp as crippled and broken as it was at launch has a lot more devloper support and games now. Its pretty healthy in terms of content and sales. No where near ds but still doing very well on its own. That marginal success will carry over both with consimers and devs. As long as everybody forgets about the Go.