Sony Vita

The Damned

• 2 weeks later...

So... long time no news.

According to Sony, every Vita game will be available as a digital copy. You have the option of buying every game as either a card or a download.

That would be great for anyone that likes to have lots of games with them, but not carry all the physical media they're on with them.

But I wonder how they will deal with stolen Vitas and the original owners getting all their games back? More account shenanigans?

Still, it's pretty cool.

The worst thing about this is some the people that happily paid upwards of $800 for their iPad or iPhone think Vita's $250 price tag is too high

To be fair the iPad does more than gaming.. and is a socioeconomic statement.

I think 250 as a debut price is fair though. Portable gaming holds just as much value to me as console gaming. It'll probably replace console gaming for me down the road, actually.

So... long time no news.

According to Sony, every Vita game will be available as a digital copy. You have the option of buying every game as either a card or a download.

That would be great for anyone that likes to have lots of games with them, but not carry all the physical media they're on with them.

But I wonder how they will deal with stolen Vitas and the original owners getting all their games back? More account shenanigans?

Still, it's pretty cool.

as a card and a download, huh

I think I'm okay with that; that was the main reason I bought physical games that I ripped anyway

Still, it's pretty cool.

All but one game that I own for the PSP now is digital-only. This is a simple problem to solve: tie the games to an account so that the account-holder can redownload the games whenever they please (just like the PSP store does now), and don't allow anyone to change their password without re-entering the old password first, so that if someone steals your Vita, they can't lock you out of your account unless they also know your password.

• 5 weeks later...

Again, long time no news.

First, it's been confirmed that the Vita will be region-free. This means lots of import games are suddenly doable without modding or firmware hacking. That makes the library much more appealing, if you can get over language barriers.

Second, you may have heard that the Vita has been rated at 3 to 5 hours of battery life... depending if you have any number of features on, like wifi, accessing the memory, moving a analog stick, etc. Sony's solution is a battery pack. No, not a battery pack that you attach to the device. It's a battery pack that you plug into the Vita by a cord.

So, it's region free, which is nice, since that seems contrary to what everyone is doing these days, and is a nice throwback to what Nintendo was doing with their portables until the DSi. But the external battery on a cord thing... yeah, it might work as a power source, but having that extra bit of hardware is kind of an issue. I rather like having the battery not hanging from the device.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

the external battery on a cord thing... yeah, it might work as a power source, but having that extra bit of hardware is kind of an issue. I rather like having the battery not hanging from the device.

It's a least a step up from an aesthetically breaking slide-in pad that eats batteries imo. I'm also looking forward to getting the cards rather than digital downloads; what with the price gouges on the memory sticks. Rather have that disk space for something else.

Once again, Sony's desire to push their proprietary formats is biting them in the ass. UMDs, Memory Sticks, and now Vita memory cards.

Jesus christ, just move on and support the ubiquitous SD format like everyone else in the world. I got a 32 GB class 10 for $50, and a small cache of microSD cards that I'm not really using. How about I get to use those instead of some price-jacked-up card that nothing else in the world will use?

Once again, Sony's desire to push their proprietary formats is biting them in the ass. UMDs, Memory Sticks, and now Vita memory cards.

Jesus christ, just move on and support the ubiquitous SD format like everyone else in the world. I got a 32 GB class 10 for $50, and a small cache of microSD cards that I'm not really using. How about I get to use those instead of some price-jacked-up card that nothing else in the world will use?

I dont see how this is really a problem, When I buy games for a system they usually only work for that system.. . unless your speaking as strictly from data storage and not the games.

Eh, I guess it's them feigning the inevitable piracy that will be inflicted upon it.

As far as the device goes, I actually wouldn't mind having one to complement my 3DS, but I'll give the Vita a year before I buy one. I bought the 3DS the day of the price drop, and all I can wonder is why on earth Nintendo was so stupid in thinking they could sell the thing without substantial games to back it up, or at least ones with Mario in the title....

I dont see how this is really a problem, When I buy games for a system they usually only work for that system.. . unless your speaking as strictly from data storage and not the games.

Yes, the data storage. The Vita cards are what holds the games, but for user content, like movies and music, your only choice is to use their very expensive proprietary memory cards.

Eh, I guess it's them feigning the inevitable piracy that will be inflicted upon it.

If you mean the memory cards and not the game cards, then I don't really see how. As long as you can put any kind of file on the, there will be a way to get around any protection system. Just load it up against a firmware that isn't protected against it, and bam, free stuff.

If you mean the ame carts, then i also don't see how that will work. it didn't stop all the GBA and DS flashcarts that came up, and there are already working prototypes of 3DS flashcarts out there.

I honestly think it's just Sony trying to make their system the world-wide accepted standard. They aren't members of the SD Card Association, and they have their own flash memory format, Memory Stick. They would obviously love to have everything use theirs instead of SD, because that's all kinds of licensing fees they would profit off of.

But no, they think they can change the entire electronics industry by making one device use it. It may have worked for Blu-Ray, but that was because one, it was offered in far more than just one Sony device, and two, Sony wasn't the only one invested in it.

It just irks me a bit that they think they can force it upon everyone when there is a more readily available and cheaper (and possibly better in terms of specs) alternative in teh SD format. It just seems... arrogant of them.