*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Melodias de la Vida'

djpretzel

Song Link:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Contact Info

o Xtormrage

o Jorge Luis Boscan

o Xtormrage@hotmail.com

o www.jorgeboscan.com

* ReMix Info

o Final Fantasy 9

o Melodies of Life

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now!

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

• 2 weeks later...

Right off from the beginning, the panning placement I thought was kind of odd. This may very well work with speakers, but on headphones it sounds unpleasant for me. You have essentially the bongos far left and the guitar playing most of the material of the mix sounding far right. I personally would have panned the guitar center or closer to center with perhaps multiple panning layers. For example, it's not uncommon to quad pan guitars in some genres.

The arrangement itself is pretty interesting at times, and most of the other time strikes me as too conservative.

Another main issue for me in the mix is, everything just sounds very mechanical. Everything is too perfectly in time. It just sounds too rigid.

I would work on these three main issues the most. Everything else outside what I mentioned, such as production was above average for me. Spicing up the guitar with more processing and fx would help too. It sounds pretty bland.

Keep at it.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 125 "Crossing Those Hills" & 204 "Song of Memories"

"Melodies of Life" is a separate song on the FF9 soundtrack, but "Crossing Those Hills" and "Song of Memories" make up the melodic content of "Melodies of Life," so I'm liking to those FOR THE PEEPS out there who read this stuff.

The mix sounds cool, and I'm sure FF fans would greatly enjoy it on account of the source material. Didn't mind the distinct panning here, BTW. But the arrangement here is way too conservative and uninterpretive. Plus, the performance is simply way too mechanical like Gray said; no performance dynamics to be found anywhere in the whole piece, so everything sounds incredibly artificial/fake/synthetic/robotic/momma in a spraycan. The ending just came across as "well, I guess I quit." Make an ending to provide adequate resolution to the piece.

You gotta be more, bro. I'd say resubmit if the arrangement were up to par, but as it stood it needs a lot more unique and creative ideas. If you can bring that to the table and work on dynamics issues, then feel free to resubmit. Check out the ReMixing forum in order to look for help in that area.

NO

yeah, well

i'm going to have be harsh on this one. its boring. the panning is far from the issue... i kinda like it this way, it stretches my head and it appeals to me in that regard. the guitar playing is flawless and i don't think its a human player as i don't hear a single human slipup... shoot me in the foot if i'm completely off but i just don't hear it.

unlike arrangements that already are daring in presentation so i can let slide on a lack of arrangement ideas... this one does not get that luxury because a guitar arrangement of the source is not particularly mindbending. basically, you're gonna have to do more than just play it on a guitar.

good idea but grossly underdeveloped

NO