Freshly Baked ReMix Challenger 2011: Phase 100 (It's "pretty much" over!)

Ramaniscence

Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge 2011

What is the Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge?

The Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge is an annual video game remixing challenge hosted by ThaSauce, Video Game Remix news portal. During the challenge, mixers are assigned a remixing request, at random, and given an appointed amount of time to complete it. The requests come from members in the community, and as a result everyone is potentially given a chance to have their request filled, and remixers have a chance to exercise or demonstrate their musical prowess.

PLEASE NOTE: This challenge is meant to be just that: A CHALLENGE. By entering this competition you are signing up for, and agreeing to have your skills challenged. While personal preference plays a big part in the creative process, and while you should make music for yourself before anything else, this is, again, a CHALLENGE. This will include working under strict time constraints and may also mean having to mix something you don't necessarily like. If you choose to not accept, then you fail the challenge. Do not expect us to re-roll your match-up until you get "something you like."

STAGE 1: JUNE 13 - JUNE 20 2011, 11:59 PM PST

STAGE 2: JUNE 21, 2011 - SEPTEMBER 2, 2011, 11:59 PM PST

Who Can Sign-Up? Who Can Request?

During stage 1 we will be accepting ReMixer sign-ups and song requests.

The challenge is open to any artists, experienced or new. The artist will be challenged to remix 1 song.

Any member of the community can make 2 requests. These requests must follow the request guidelines and be made in private. You cannot discuss the song that you have requested until all challenges are accepted and stage 2 has begun.

How do I Sign-Up? How Can I Make a Request?

SIGN UPS: To signup as a remixer, please fill out the signup form located here: http://sgtrama.wufoo.com/forms/freshly-baked-remixer-sign-up-form/

REQUESTS: Request must be sent through the requests form located here: http://sgtrama.wufoo.com/forms/freshly-baked-remixer-challenge-request-form/

1. The name of the original song, game and track.

2. A link to the original track to download. The original format is preferred (i.e. SPC, NSF) but MP3 is acceptable.

3. A YouTube link to the requested song.

4. A midi, if at all possible. The more sources you are able to provide, the more likely your requested track is to be remixed. Please note that vgmusic.com does not allow direct linking, however you can link the page with the download link for the midi - please specify file name.

Request Guidelines

During stage 1 any community member can submit a challenge; Be it a specific song from a game, or anything from a game's soundtrack. Challengers MUST include a source tune for reference. ALL CHALLENGERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PICK SONGS WITH STRONG MELODIC CONTENT WITH SOURCES THAT ARE NOT DIFFICULT TO LOCATE. This is merely a suggestion as the easier it is for a remixer to get a midi, or familiarity with a song, the more likely the finished project will be a quality piece of work. Each user is only allowed 1 challenge.

Keep in mind: Your requests will be given to artists throughout the community with various levels of skill.

All remix requests must be made in private. ReMixers already in the challenge are allowed to issue requests, however they may not be selected to remix their own request. Requests posted in the thread will be ignored and may not be considered for submission. We reserve the right to reject requests.

The Match-Ups

Once we populate a list of mixers and challenges, a script will be created and will distribute the songs to each mixer. There will be grace period of a few days while we sort everything out, and following that we will begin stage 2. Mixers will have 2 months to complete their challenge. In the event that there are more challenges than mixers (which is likely) a mixer may randomly select another song from the pool only after they have successfully finished their initial challenge (a COMPLETED and QUALITY remix).

The History of the Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge

In 2002 a forum user name "I Like Cookies!" (now just Jeff), ran a 1-shot competition called the Freshly Baked ReMixer challenge. In the thread artists signed up and were assigned challenges posted by other forum users. This is how artists like myself, Suzumebachi, and GLL all got our starts. There were also some other impressive tracks by Disco Dan and a few others.

Previous results can be viewed here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/FBRC

Challenges:

To be determined.

FBRC2010 was the last time I did a remix, I think.

I look around this time, hope to see some nice songs coming.

Ah yes, Ogres and Knights. First one played too.

Hope to hear something great again this year, man!

I posted the listening party log, so I still have the info on my hard drive. ^.^

And even if it's premature, I'd be happy to post this year's listening party log again.

After some thinking, I decided to sign up again. It's been a while since I did a remix, but I think it's the right time again, and I have some time this summer (I hope I don't run out of time like last year).

I hope to get a nice source, like last years.