Zelda: Ocarina Of Time - Zora's Domain (close remodelling)

Iceferno

I got my 4th Zelda remix done today. Zora's Domain from OOT. I went back to basics with this one, not getting too bogged down in trying to make an extravagant version. There aren't any effects used, though this gives you the option to apply some water SFX perhaps :razz:

I do try to "unloop" the song though, as I always do. A familiar and somewhat related melody creeps in around half-way through.

Watch & Download:

Hope you enjoy!

I got my 4th Zelda remix done today. Zora's Domain from OOT. I went back to basics with this one, not getting too bogged down in trying to make an extravagant version. There aren't any effects used, though this gives you the option to apply some water SFX perhaps :razz:

I do try to "unloop" the song though, as I always do. A familiar and somewhat related melody creeps in around half-way through.

Watch & Download:

Hope you enjoy!

I love this!

Jut sounds great - lovely bossa nova feel which kind of caught me by surprise but then totally made sense. Everything is pure magic! As a rebuild I really have nothing to complain about.

I wasn't too sure about the end section with the sax - it seemed quite separate from the flowing pads and icey marimbas (or whatever they are) - i didn't recognise the melody either (I THOUGHT IT WAS JUGGLYPUFF'S SONG!) - perhaps shame on me.

Anyway I enjoyed the whole thing but felt i get wanting to break out of it and try to add some originality but the texture really changes up with the introduction of the sax and with all the reverby pads disappearing! BUT i'm not telling you to take it out.

keep it up!

Yeah, I probably should've mentioned I added a percussive element to it and in keeping with the original style. Though just after the New Wave Bossa Nova melody (not Jigglypuff's song! haha) plays, it goes even more to the original source with panned bongos and tablas.

Thanks for the feedback. I was originally going to have the Zora's Domain melody playing in the key of C after the New Wave did its thang, but then after realising I'd have to revert back to the original key, the ZD melody would be overplayed, so I just changed the arrangement instead.

Yeah, I probably should've mentioned I added a percussive element to it and in keeping with the original style. Though just after the New Wave Bossa Nova melody (not Jigglypuff's song! haha) plays, it goes even more to the original source with panned bongos and tablas.

Thanks for the feedback. I was originally going to have the Zora's Domain melody playing in the key of C after the New Wave did its thang, but then after realising I'd have to revert back to the original key, the ZD melody would be overplayed, so I just changed the arrangement instead.

AH! It's a song from majora's mask - i never played or listened to any music from that!

Mmm yeah, i do like the switch up and think that another repetition of the ZD melody would be overplayed but it was more maybe that i felt the two sections were too different - you went from the reverby, flowing ZD to a really quite clean sound for the New Wave Bossa Nova with this sax sound that was never played before so it feels quite discontinuous. If perhaps you were to introduce the sax earlier playing perhaps a countermelody or accompanying figure then to break out of that into a lead role at the New Wave Bossa Nova section that would please me more. Also if you had perhaps some elements of the icey zora still in there. Maybe you disagree and you think the big contrast between the sort of wet and dry sounds is what you were going for.

It's just a tiny thing really!

But yeah, i really enjoyed this. I'll listen to your other zelda tunes!

So mellow and I love the vibe!

A suggestion for the bossa nova feel on the snare-rim: I was forced when I was taking drum lessons to play this over and over again until I got it. It was so boring, but you learn how to ever so slightly vary the pattern (throw in a clave every 16th bar or whatever), and maybe some dynamic changes w/rhythm every so often as you feel.

AH! It's a song from majora's mask - i never played or listened to any music from that!

Mmm yeah, i do like the switch up and think that another repetition of the ZD melody would be overplayed but it was more maybe that i felt the two sections were too different - you went from the reverby, flowing ZD to a really quite clean sound for the New Wave Bossa Nova with this sax sound that was never played before so it feels quite discontinuous. If perhaps you were to introduce the sax earlier playing perhaps a countermelody or accompanying figure then to break out of that into a lead role at the New Wave Bossa Nova section that would please me more. Also if you had perhaps some elements of the icey zora still in there. Maybe you disagree and you think the big contrast between the sort of wet and dry sounds is what you were going for.

It's just a tiny thing really!

But yeah, i really enjoyed this. I'll listen to your other zelda tunes!

That's more a matter of opinion, I reckon. The purpose of the sax section was to not only break up the song, but to re-introduce the ambience from before. You have the panned instruments with instruments slowly coming back, then it ends pretty much as full as it started.

So mellow and I love the vibe!

A suggestion for the bossa nova feel on the snare-rim: I was forced when I was taking drum lessons to play this over and over again until I got it. It was so boring, but you learn how to ever so slightly vary the pattern (throw in a clave every 16th bar or whatever), and maybe some dynamic changes w/rhythm every so often as you feel.

Yeah, fair point. I suppose it'd sound more natural if there was more variation in the percussion, but I'm still relatively new to the Latin sound. I've only done it once before, and that was done in Logic where it's easier to edit and cut up samples.

Wow, I never would have thought this could be adapted to bossa nova while keeping so much of the original song song intact. I'd love to hear what this would sound like as a properly arranged ReMix, but even what you've got here is pretty neat. I like!

I assume by properly you mean professionally or more to the standards of this site. Thing is, I don't think I'll ever have a submitted remix here. The judges tend to flatten creativity with suggestions of modification. I like to have some kind of natural (or as much as possible) flow to each of these remixes. I am pretty strict when it comes down to it, though I suppose I'm more "youtube remix" material.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all comments and points raised here. :)

• 1 year later...

This is sounding really cool! Some things:

The E. piano would benefit a lot from some variation. Instead of simply long sustains most of the time, try adding some staccato chords, like at 0:21.5 - 0:22.5 and other similar places that make sense. You could even try a different EP library if you have one. There's probably a better one out there somewhere.

At 0:48, the lead that comes in would greatly benefit from slightly louder delay.

The choir aahs at 1:36 and 3:12 appear to be pulsing in and out, probably from some sort of panning LFO or something. Try it without that and see how it sounds to you.

The sax that comes in at 2:24 might sound better an octave up as a solo-type instrument, without a doubled up octave below.

Good take on the Bossa Nova, though. Keep working on it! Sounding great.