Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

XZero

I didn't see any threads on this, so I figured I'd start one for whomever is curious about or plans on getting this game on Sunday.

Personally, I'm really excited for it. My 3DS has felt like a giant waste of money since I bought it back in March. Street Fighter IV is good, but a system can't live on one good game alone. I've really been enjoying playing Link's Awakening DX since last weekend. And yeah, I know this is a modified port, but I can't wait to delve into Hyrule in 3D. And then to get sick of the 3D and turn it off and explore the rest of the game.

And for those of you who like Zelda games, but don't care about the 3D stuff, here's something kind of cool: http://www.zeldapower.com/index.php/majoras-mask/676.html?task=view

Official artwork for Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. Most of it is stuff we've seen before, but probably the most beautiful one and the one that became my new background is:

http://www.zeldapower.com/images/oot3d/art/hyruleField.png

^^This is more or less for opinions of the 3DS version since, as you noted, there's really nothing "new" about it.

And for the record, I didn't play Ghost Recon, but I was under the impression it didn't do so hot in the review scores department. I don't think any 3DS game has gotten 9 or above in reviews yet, so that was sort of what I was referring to.

Ghost Recon was getting 8 out of 10 on most review sites as far as I can tell. Then again, I guess it depends on what you consider 'not doing so hot in the review scores department'. You're right that no game so far has gotten a 9 or above though.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/3ds Good place to get averaged reviews.

Average 96 out of 10 reviews for Ocarina of Time 3D as of right now.

I'm really excited for it. I actually just bought my 3DS just yesterday because I want to play this. I've seen enough in the trailers that was changed that I'm convinced that this release is a little more than just a hi-res texture pack. Models are smoother, textures are higher res, and it's got a better framerate. That's enough to warrant a $40 purchase for me. Has there been any comment on the music or sound effects? Are they the originals or re-worked or what?

Has there been any comment on the music or sound effects? Are they the originals or re-worked or what?

From the limited information out there, the music seems to be mostly the original, though if you listen with headphones, the samples might sound better. There is also definitely at least one fully orchestrated track in the game.

Incidentally, I don't know how well-published this was, but if you pick up the game, register it on Club Nintendo before June 30th. If you do so, you get a 50ish-track soundtrack CD featuring some formerly unreleased music from the game. The press release was a little vague, but my guess is that there are tracks like the Forest Temple and the Fire Temple which were excluded from the old North American soundtrack CD release, which only featured about 25-30 tracks. I think the 82 track version from Japan is complete, except for the end of the Water Temple song missing from it (and the Fire Temple chanting). The CD also includes the orchestrated track, which I think they referred to as a "medley." Sounds cool, and whether it's good, bad, or terrible, it's free, as is signing up with Club Nintendo, so I'll be registering mine as soon as I can on Sunday.

EDIT: Source: https://club.nintendo.com/ocarina_of_time_3d_soundtrack_offer.do

Looking forward to this. I plan to pick my copy up the moment I pull them from the backroom at work and put them on shelves. Figure I can take my break at that time. It looks pretty good so far, and from what I've seen and heard the sound effects/music are mostly unchanged. I honestly hope this is well received as more than anything I'd love to see a Majora's mask 3DS. Oh how I'd love to see that mask spin out at me on the title screen in all it's 3D glory..

Without deviating from the Zelda topic too long, just a quick note on the naming thing. One of my best friends named his son Simon. His mother, a devout Catholic, felt this was a great idea as a reference to the apostle. However, unbeknownst to her, Simon was so named because of Simon Belmont. His wife was cool with it.

I do enjoy the fact that Robin Williams named his daughter after Princess Zelda, and I love that they used it in the commercial for the game.

By the way, Nick Hyral, the first thing I thought when I heard they were doing this was "Wow, I hope they do Majora's Mask the same way." I love Ocarina, but Majora's always been my favorite of the two.

Here's some gameplay footage with text in German:

No noticeable changes in the music, but the character models look nice. Link got the best upgrade, and the other characters look great as well. The areas look beautiful, particularly the Castle Town.

One aside concerning the video. Go to 7:06. I know what it means in English, but it still looks funny to call the Zora area "Zoras Reich."

"guys why should I buy an enhanced remake of the best game ever made I mean seriously"

Because it's the same goddamned game you've played though at least 10 times and chances are that if you aren't a moron, you already own it in several of its incarnations such as on the N64, GC collectors disc or the Wii Virtual Console?

Now, if they added an extra dungeon or two, maybe another few weapons or something, THEN it'd be something to scream home about, but it's pretty much just Master Quest with 3d on it.

Yeah, but it's not the SAME Master Quest.

Latest issue of Game Informer says that not only have the dungeons been reworked from what's on the GCN disc, but they've been mirrored as well...I don't see why that last part is important, but yeah.

So it's not really the same game with newer graphics, only it kind of is...and you should buy it anyway because it's fucking Zelda.

What other reason do you need?

Yeah, but it's not the SAME Master Quest.

Latest issue of Game Informer says that not only have the dungeons been reworked from what's on the GCN disc, but they've been mirrored as well...I don't see why that last part is important, but yeah.

So it's not really the same game with newer graphics, only it kind of is...and you should buy it anyway because it's fucking Zelda.

What other reason do you need?

New dungeons.

New Weapons/items.

Reworked sword combat mechanics, AI, and/or increased difficulty.

A mode that lets me play as Sheik.

Include an online Four Swords as a separate game.

Just to name a few possibilities.

Giving it a (mildly)fresh coat of paint, changing up the Master Quest here and there, and tossing a 3D filter on it is hardly anything to drool over, especially given that they could have done something really special for the game given Zelda's 25th anniversary being this year and that you'll probably be able to get it for 25% of the asking 3DS price on the Wii Virtual Console anyway.