OCR00524 - Ecco the Dolphin "Broken Machine"

orkybash

Ecco the Dolphin 'Broken Machine'

Though I know almost nothing about Ecco, doing the music in a heavy industrial-ish style is almost certainly a hard transformation to pull off. Actually, calling this industrial, or even heavy, is a bit of a misidentification, since this mix switches styles so often - at times edgy and synthy, at times a bit mysterious, using pizz strings and vibes. It's a well put together mix, except that it's probably about twice as long as it needs to be, and the high-pitched sweep thing is pretty annoying. Don't get me wrong, though - it's a worthwhile listen, even if only to admire the juxtaposition of styles that it pulls off so well.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed this Remix. I like the beginning, its fluent in an eratic sort of way. I just generally like the beat and the sound. Good stuff, very different from most songs here. If you haven't downloaded it i suggeest you give it a shot :)

• 4 months later...

This song is just... amazing! I can't stop listening to it! An overall amazing beat. A eerie song that just makes me want more. I remember playing ecco the dolphin when I was 7 or 8. This song really fits in with the strange and chilling atmosphere of the game.

• 6 months later...

this is one of my favorite mixes on the site. it went on a cd that i burned for the sole purpose of introducing friends to the 'wonderful sounds of ocremix!!!111oneoneone'

maybe my rgm player sucks, but the original doesn't sound all that special, so this mix was a serious improvement. the melody was interesting, but the same could not be said for the original arrangement. this is one of those songs that would have made the original game better if it had replaced the original (sort of like if ailsean's 'nikki learns a new song' mix replaced the original, the world of chrono cross would be a better place).

-rob

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ecco the Dolphin, with its unique, spooky soundtrack, is the game that keeps me out of the pool. This ReMix is so dark and sinister, it's only strengthened my fear of water. Thanks, I'll just go tell my coach "I can't swim because a Dolphin died on my television screen when I was 6, and Trace made it even scarier."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

THIS is the COOLEST DAMN INTRO TO ANYTHING EVER. I put this on my mp3 player based SOLELY on the intro.

The rest of the song is badass too, but nothing, and I MEAN NOTHING can best the intro. It's so dang cool.

I agree with what OA said up thar: Cool and Calculated.

• 1 year later...

This captures what Ecco the Dolphin really is: Underwater sci-fi. Weird combination, but very complementary.

The main industrial stuff sounds great, but everything is really topped of by the contrast to the main theme. It's an interesting dynamic as soon as it starts going into a light-hearted horror territory. Usually, I'd think it was a bit schlocky, but the heavily industrial bookends of the mix give it the edge it needs. Also, I think the key change at around 3:08 wasn't entirely necessary with something like this, but handled well anyway.

I wouldn't say I was blown away by this, but I think it's interesting in the right places and a bit of dark-ish fun.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Like a cross between the original track and FF VI's Magitek Factory, this just adds a layer of malevolence to an already dark and alien place. (So far from the open ocean, Ecco! :() Trace has also added more musical variation. Even for its time and system, the Genesis version seems like it repeats too frequently... uh, although, when I think of it, players are unlikely to live long enough in this stage to hear a track of Trace's length! Yeeah, maybe for the original, the repetition is okay. ;)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00524 - Ecco the Dolphin "Broken Machine"