Seiken Densetsu 3 Powell Remix

NinjaFlute

Huh, I don't know the source very well, but this is pretty nice.

The only thing I really have to criticize is the volume levels in the second half of the song (specifically from 3:14 on). That whole section needs to be louder considering it really starts to get faster and more intense there. The melody that is being played in the background especially needs to be boosted (I can't even tell what instrument it is cause it's so soft!).

The only other thing is that it ends far too suddenly. I generally dislike fadeouts, and this one just doesn't work at all; it feels like it just starts fading out in the middle of the track. Try coming up with a more creative ending!

Other than that, this sounds great! :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The section you specified need to be louder --- I actually did it with the original music in mind (not this piece but the various other boss fight themes). I found that the bells generated some of the original snes feel and I wasn't very keen on bring the level up on the bells. If something needs to be louder it would be the percussions as whole as these are the main components that make this section 'maniac'. Then I face the problem of it over powering the bells. Maybe there are some balance tips? Also, agree on the ending, I am stuck on it now so I moved onto my other projects, maybe sometimes later I will come up with more ideas :)

• 1 month later...

I kept meant to mix it better, I know exactly what you mean about the musicbox spikes out in certain sections, especially when it collides with choirs which are significantly quieter. Didn't notice that when I bounced that morning a month ago cuz I happened to changed the notes to be few semi tones higher.

Ugh, slow intro..... nice sound, but there could be a little more going on, more source bits in the background. 1:35, now we're getting somewhere. The music box seem to fill out the mids a little too heavily, you could EQ those down for the main part of the mix where they'd just get in the way of other instruments. New track or eq automation.

Quite conservative, but with some nice rhythms to it. It's a bit lacking in the mids. A piano or similar instrument covering the mids would be good here.

Some weird notes in the 3:12+ part, clashes or detuning, whatever, it doesn't sound right. I get what you're doing there, but it doesn't quite fit. Some work with the scale you're using there should solve it, tho more source references in parts like that wouldn't hurt.

4:40 now it sounds right. Could of course still benefit from some eq touches, but this part sounds decent enough. Why? Cuz it's balanced. Try to balance the rest of the mix as well.

Good choice of sounds, nice rhythms, really nice percussion. Some nice ideas in here, used well. Just fix or filter out the less stellar ideas. :D

• 2 months later...