Contact Information

* Your ReMixer name: elzfernomusic

* Your real name: Elliot Newman

* Your website: http://elzfernomusic.wordpress.com/

* Your userid: 29760

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic & Knuckles

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Doomsday Zone

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

o The Doomsday Zone:

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: Have always loved the source track, and although I knew that Sonic 3 & Knuckles has been remixed a lot in the past, I got an idea for this remix and just sort of ran with it. I've heard a lot of straight metal covers of Doomsday Zone in the past and figured it'd be an interesting experiment to slow the tempo and take away some of the "thrash" elements and replace it with groove based elements.

• 2 weeks later...

cool arrangement! definitely a unique take on the theme. the heavier half was a little more atypical, but the modified rhythms and solos help make it your own. gotta say I'm not in love with the phasing/processing on the guitars in the intro, sounds kinda nasaly. the intro was also really sparse, and started to drag a little before everything picked up.

as for the rest of the track, pretty good, but the mixing feels off, though I can't quite put my finger on it. hopefully some of the more guitar-centered J's can give some more specific advice. drums felt a little flimsy, but he writing was great.

overall I think this is close, but needs just a little more polish. definitely try to condense that intro a bit or introduce some more elements early on to keep it from getting boring.

NO(resub)

The arrangement is definitely creative and well done, but the mixing and production needs some additional work. The snare itself sounds really thin and wimpy, and the guitars sound good and are well performed, but lack some high end bite to them.

It seems like you played the intro twice, once with super brittle guitars, and then again with a cleaner sound. I think removing the first part and just starting with the second iteration would make it a little more streamlined.

Overall I like the direction this is going with, and my main concern is the sound of drums and some of the guitar balance. For being a rock-based track, the drums seem too weak, and the guitars too low in the mix for it to have the energy it needs. There is solid playing here, and an overall good arrangement, it just needs a little work to go all the way.

No, please resubmit

• 5 weeks later...

I like the subdued entrance that leads into the more powerful core, but right now I will have to agree that the production isn't cutting it as is. The drums are overall not pulling their weight, most especially the snare. The guitars are a little nasal feeling at the beginning, I will agree with Halc, although that didn't bother me too much. Later on, though, they could be brought up in the track to increase the energy.

I think this could sound pretty nice with those fixes.

NO (resubmit)