Your ReMixer name : Rockos

Your real name : Roch Côté

Your email address : darkhia@hotmail.com

Your website : None

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 44017

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged : Chrono Trigger

Name of individual song(s) arranged : Undersea Palace

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :

First started as I was practicing on a dubstep track. I wanted to sound a little bit like Skrillex. Then came in mind; That chrono song was playing in my head. It sounded like dubstep to me. So I started playing around with some Oscilliator and then came with 4 or 5 different bass style with their own texture. I all sampled it in wav then worked again on those sample. Now then, I was playing a little game of what bass come after this one and then how many time I change sample. It all sounded so dirty! Layered kick and hi hat added some snare/clap. ET voilà!

After that everything placed in order and replayed the melody and changed some notes and added some time change signature! For the second part, I used Magus melody.

It was as if I were pro (since I'm not!) and I sounded so cool on this one. With Hours of work, this is what I've done and wanted to submit it.

Enjoy it and play it LOUD!

;-)

Resub add: Well, the community is Huge and they helped me a lot. If this one pass, I wanna thank each member of the community that contributed to this mix by helping me with their feedbacks. Many Thanks!

-----------------

• 3 weeks later...

From the original submission, I'm glad you removed the intro, it's much better as is. The source is apparent, but it feels completely buried severely undulating levels of various synths. The synth sounds chosen are good, but the levels of volume seem strange to me, as suddenly it feels that certain elements jump out completely for 2-3 notes, and then are gone. It would make more sense if they all fit inside the soundscape, but a few randomly seem completely dry and pasted on top. Some of the synth execution is a little off too, frequently not quite matching the beat, or not quite clicking. I can tell a lot of work was put into all of the effects and personalization, but it sounds like a lot of separate elements rather than a cohesive soundscape.

Arrangement-wise, the drums are pretty much on autopilot the entire time, and act as a timekeeper rather than a rhythmic driving force or something interesting to listen to. There are a few minor fills spread out, but overall it's a lot of the same. The source is completely shredded up and sprinkeled around. There are plenty of flashes of recognition, but often it feels like a track that just has references of the theme added, no matter how frequent. I think the source use would be bettter off to be more of a central element rather than a series of background events that is mostly obscured by the overly loud bass.

I'm going to vote No, resub on this, but perhaps some other judges will hear things differently.

I didn't hear the original, so I'm judging afresh.

OA and I were chatting about this one last night. I didn't share his initial concerns on my first few listens. I've given it some time to see if I ended up hearing similar problems.

First up I'll say I love the track. It's a funky, weird and cool sound with lots of interesting things going on. Rather than hearing lots of individual things doing their own thing, I thought it all came together to make a very interesting combination.

One area I do agree is that the drums aren't really doing anything but keeping a beat, at least for the first 2:30. When things kicked up a bit at the end, it got better. But I still feel like it's quite barren and boring in the drums department, in spite of the occasional breakbeat.

I still think it's cool enough and ingenious enough to pass. Sure, it could be better. But I'd like to encourage the artist by passing this.

Yes

I pretty much agree about the drums. Not very interesting. A pseudo-dubstep thang like this definitely needs more attention paid to the drums. The Bass synth is too loud. I'd say the whole track is lacking in spatial effects. You do a lot of note repetitions instead of delays and reverbs.

Not bad, but it's a bit awkward.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely a cool concept, and something different for the theme which has a decent number of mixes already. I agree with the lack of balance between some of the melody elements being overpowered, and the bass just being overpowering. Along with that, more variation in the drums will go a long way to keeping the interest level up.

In the end I think that the issues are just outweighing the good, and I'd like to see them fixed up before I give this a pass. Don't get discouraged, I think you're pretty close on this version!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad dude. Very nice attention to detail - I can tell you spend a lot of time on the various effects.

Trying not to beat dead horse, I'm gonna echo that this needs some balance work (others have already covered how) as well as some drum variation. A little work in both areas would likely bring a yes vote from me.

No, resubmit please