Green Lantern (Film)

zircon

I saw this yesterday with my dad and sister. Being an old-school comic book fan, I really liked it. I understand the reviews have been quite harsh, but while it's not the best comic book film I've seen, I think it's nowhere near as bad as reviewers have made it out to be. I'd rate it above Fantastic Four, Iron Man 2, X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3. And Daredevil, if we even want to talk about that. The plot is coherent, the characters are likable, the special FX are great, the action is fun, and it doesn't take itself too seriously (we got lots of chuckles out of it.)

So if you saw it, what did you think? Is it the train-wreck that some reviewers think, or a solid comic book film?

Green Lantern is my favorite DC Comic series (I don't read a LOT of them, but I read more than a few) and I was not at all disappointed with the movie. I was a little upset that they changed so much from what things really are but that's to be expected with a comic book movie. Still, there was no real reason to make Parallax a head with smoke tentacles instead of the cool yellow entity bug with millions of teeth. That's my only real complaint.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the movie and I thoroughly enjoyed holding up my ring and saying the oath alongside Hal Jordan. :-D

...I find daredevil a guilty pleasure... but i dislike Ben Afleck and most of the actors in there bar Michael Clarke Duncan

I think the worst superhero movie ive seen lately was wolverine origins and before that spiderman 3 due to all the stuff being crammed in and like 10 minutes of venom screen time, that and them screwing up the whole origin of the death of uncle ben, that pissed me off more then anything daredevil could do.

...oh and i want to kill the director of dragonball evolution...

As for green lanturn i will see it eventually

I saw this yesterday with my dad and sister. Being an old-school comic book fan, I really liked it. I understand the reviews have been quite harsh, but while it's not the best comic book film I've seen, I think it's nowhere near as bad as reviewers have made it out to be. I'd rate it above Fantastic Four, Iron Man 2, X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3. And Daredevil, if we even want to talk about that. The plot is coherent, the characters are likable, the special FX are great, the action is fun, and it doesn't take itself too seriously (we got lots of chuckles out of it.)

So if you saw it, what did you think? Is it the train-wreck that some reviewers think, or a solid comic book film?

So the CG head replacement isn't as bad, as the world says it was? I wanted to see this but the Totally Rad Show guys all didn't like it (and they are down with the nerd) and I usually always agree with them...

It was kind of meh. Even with the GL comics I've read before, from the old ones I had from the late 70s and early 80s to the more recent stuff, I just didn't really feel any connection between them and the movie. Emerald Knights was far better, and I wasn't familiar with any of the stories it had.

Maybe if this movie had more Mogo?

It was kind of meh. Even with the GL comics I've read before, from the old ones I had from the late 70s and early 80s to the more recent stuff, I just didn't really feel any connection between them and the movie. Emerald Knights was far better, and I wasn't familiar with any of the stories it had.

Maybe if this movie had more Mogo?

I saw lots of connection, especially the few references back to current comic book stuff. :P

Say guys

What if you took Top Gun-

but threw in some aliens in there!

Also, Hammond's scenes get so over the top, that it is impossible to take him seriously anymore.

I'VE NEVER FELT BETTER IN MY LIFE

The movie was on the whole sloppy and they definitely could have done a better story.

I liked it, but then again I'm probably the biggest GL fan on OCR. Wasn't a big fan of Hector Hammond being Parallax-lite, that was a bit off, but overall some great action and great visuals.

It's not the most amazing movie in the world, but it really doesn't deserve all the crap it's getting in the reviews. I think its weaknesses are getting magnified by superhero-fatigue and 3D-fatigue.

As for the "real" Green Lantern, please don't even start with any of that "why'd they change him to a white guy?" nonsense. First of all, the Green Lanterns are a group; there are 7200 of them, so you could pick anyone and call him or her the "real" Green Lantern. More to the point, Hal Jordan was the first Silver Age style Green Lantern, and he was the Green Lantern of sector 2814 for years before John Stewart appeared in the comics, and he has the simplest and most memorable origin story of all of Earth's Lanterns. John's, Guy's, and Kyle's all come with baggage related to Hal.

Don't presume to know what you're talking about just because you've watched Justice League. It's a good show, but it's not definitive by any means.

The movie was on the whole sloppy and they definitely could have done a better story.

They have to make crappy standalone ones for the movies so that they make sense to people who don't know "what's a green lantern".

And yeah actually 2 lanterns per sector for anyone who watched the movie and now "knows" that there are 3600 green lanterns. 7200 lanterns but there are a whole metric ton more right now (in the comics) as Kronos just recruited hundreds of lanterns to further the parallax corruption and make his own green lantern army.ED PARALLA

The main thing that I thought was wrong with it was the pacing. It just seemed like they had a TON of build up scenes, but very little pay off.

I think it was a decent film. I would rate it at about Fantastic 4 level. Then again I know next to nothing about GL, so I didn't have any real expectations going in.

The main thing that I thought was wrong with it was the pacing. It just seemed like they had a TON of build up scenes, but very little pay off.

I think it was a decent film. I would rate it at about Fantastic 4 level. Then again I know next to nothing about GL, so I didn't have any real expectations going in.

An honest complaint from a green lantern fan: needs more space and more green lantern and less Carol Ferris and less Hector Hammond.