Green Lantern (Film)

zircon

For what it's worth, I've only read the comics my dad owns, and he collected them only during the Silver Age (when he was a kid.) So, Hal Jordan IS the Green Lantern to me. I don't know what happens next. It's interesting watching a lot of these comic book movies because they all seem to draw from the Silver Age, generally speaking. Maybe I would feel differently if I had read every little bit of Green Lantern "lore" after. But from our perspective, this basically went through what the core of GL is all about. Likewise, we really enjoyed Spider-Man 2 as it represented what WE see as the whole idea behind that hero: a young adult who has incredible powers thrust on him, but it makes his life pretty miserable.

For what it's worth, I've only read the comics my dad owns, and he collected them only during the Silver Age (when he was a kid.) So, Hal Jordan IS the Green Lantern to me. I don't know what happens next. It's interesting watching a lot of these comic book movies because they all seem to draw from the Silver Age, generally speaking. Maybe I would feel differently if I had read every little bit of Green Lantern "lore" after.

Actually if you've read the current GL stuff, it's still a good movie in that it borrows a lot of things from Geoff Johns's current run, such as green being the color of willpower and yellow being the color of fear. All that stuff about Hal "overcoming fear" is fairly new material, and giving into fear being a weakness is a bit more compelling than "the color yellow."

Actually if you've read the current GL stuff, it's still a good movie in that it borrows a lot of things from Geoff Johns's current run, such as green being the color of willpower and yellow being the color of fear. All that stuff about Hal "overcoming fear" is fairly new material, and giving into fear being a weakness is a bit more compelling than "the color yellow."

Yeah, that all makes sense. But I think it still speaks to the core of what GL is about. Courage, willpower, etc. It's not a stretch, it's not trying to bring in anything ridiculous and get too complex (like Spider-Man 3, cramming three villains in one movie.) We also agreed that characterizing yellow as fear made a lot more sense than just arbitrarily saying the ring can't deal with yellow. But you may not remember that the original GL had a weakness to WOOD, which was way, way stupider.

it really doesn't deserve all the crap it's getting in the reviews. I think its weaknesses are getting magnified by superhero-fatigue and 3D-fatigue.

this is both true and untrue; it's weaknesses are indeed based upon superhero-movie-fatigue, but the reason that this happened is because Green Lantern is incredibly generic

it takes all of the most popular bits from recent superhero movies and mashes them into a boring effects-fest that adds nothing new to the table and isn't really worth watching for any reason other than the somewhat cool action scenes

also writing hal jordan in such a way so that it's a vehicle for ryan reynolds to basically be ryan reynolds is just bluh

Yeah, that all makes sense. But I think it still speaks to the core of what GL is about. Courage, willpower, etc. It's not a stretch, it's not trying to bring in anything ridiculous and get too complex (like Spider-Man 3, cramming three villains in one movie.) We also agreed that characterizing yellow as fear made a lot more sense than just arbitrarily saying the ring can't deal with yellow. But you may not remember that the original GL had a weakness to WOOD, which was way, way stupider.

I do remember that.

Johns's current GL treatment in the books is really logical and simple in how it deals with colors aligning with emotions. The Emotional Spectrum is a really smart bit of mythology, and I'm kind of holding on to the slim hope that there's some chance for another GL movie that'll be more focused in that regard.

Also I want to see Sinestro in all his yellow glory.

We also agreed that characterizing yellow as fear made a lot more sense than just arbitrarily saying the ring can't deal with yellow. But you may not remember that the original GL had a weakness to WOOD, which was way, way stupider.

I like more the explanation they did in the Batman-superman Generations offshoot, in which they explained that Yellow wasn't really a weakness for the green lantern's power. It was rather a psychological thing. They were beaten by a yellow lantern (sinestro) so they automatically thought that yellow was their weakness, just like how alan scott thought that wood was his weakness because he got hit by a wooden club when he got hold of his own ring (which in this universe is more or less the same as a normal green lantern corps ring).

BTW Alan Scott is my favorite green lantern.

I like more the explanation they did in the Batman-superman Generations offshoot, in which they explained that Yellow wasn't really a weakness for the green lantern's power. It was rather a psychological thing. They were beaten by a yellow lantern (sinestro) so they automatically thought that yellow was their weakness, just like how alan scott thought that wood was his weakness because he got hit by a wooden club when he got hold of his own ring (which in this universe is more or less the same as a normal green lantern corps ring).

BTW Alan Scott is my favorite green lantern.

Alan Scott's ring is magic, the corps. isn't magic, they derive power from will. (And hope recharging their will ;))

Alan Scott's ring is magic, the corps. isn't magic, they derive power from will. (And hope recharging their will ;))

I know. but it was different in the Superman - Batman Generations universe, which is what I was talking about. In that universe Alan Scott's ring is just a normal green lantern ring. Also, in this universe it's explained that The ring has no real weakness and the weakness to yellow and wood were merely psychological.