Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) - Piano Redux

Here is a complete album: covers of all the songs and jingles from the first Sonic the Hedgehog game (Released on the Sega Genesis in 1991) redone in a piano/electronic arrangement. Using the link below, you will have the option to download the entire album at once as a .ZIP archive by clicking the image labeled "Dropbox", or you can download one track at a time through Soundcloud. Enjoy!

http://birdtownstudios.web.officelive.com/SonictheHedgehogPianoRedux.aspx

>Album Information<

Title: Sonic the Hedgehog Piano Redux

Composer: John "EspioKaos" Weeks

Arrangement: Philip "Dr. Mack Foxx" Byard

Total Length: 18 minutes, 17 seconds

Tracks: 19

File Size: 32.2 Megabytes

Audio Codec: LAME MP3 V3.96r

Format: 32-320kbps Variable Bit-rate @ 44.1kHz, Stereo

Please Note: I do have permission from my collaborator, John Weeks, to post this album.

An entire album?! .........*head explodes*
My thoughts exactly! Holy crap!

Ah! I can understand the surprise. I have been browsing around the forums a lot more these days and it does seem that complete fan-made albums are indeed very uncommon. Easy enough to understand why: making great remixes or covers takes a lot of time and effort, even for a single track if you really want to make it great. This album took over a year to put together. John and I also have a Sonic 2 album in the works. We hope to have it finished within the next few months or so if all goes well.

At any rate, thanks for stopping by Watarimono and Zach! I hope you enjoyed or are enjoying these tracks. :)

Aha, now you've rolled into my neck of the woods. Feel my fury :<

Giving this a quick glance, the album has a nice consistency to it, though it does wear on me a little bit after a while (I'm the sort of person that likes a touch of variety). The MIDI enhancements are nice, overall, though it perhaps could have used a couple of different instruments from track to track (or less, oddly enough - a piano covering both the bass and the melodies/harmonies would've made a nice bonus track). Some of the tracks (Marble Garden comes to mind) are a touch off from the source, but that's an issue with the MIDI, so you can take it up with John Weeks. I remember commenting on that particular issue some time ago, too, so... yeah.

It's still a fun little album for what it is, though. As long as you're not going into it and expecting a remix album but a straight re instrumentation of preset MIDIs then it's not bad. Hope others around here enjoy it.

Also, 'sup.

AH HA! CAUGHT YOU Gario! Now you have to go review mine! :tomatoface:

This sort of thing would be great on shuffle in a playlist somewhere, but I don't know I'd listen to it as an actual album. It is neat to hear them all in piano form tho. I tend to like the boss and final boss themes, but it's all pretty good.

The soundcloud link doesn't appear to work for me.

I think I have the Soundcloud link repaired.

http://soundcloud.com/drmackfoxx/sets/sonic-the-hedgehog-piano-redux/

However, Soundcloud seems to be having problems with their servers today. I had a hard time navigating the site today and got a lot of error messages there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hope you enjoy the album. :)

AH HA! CAUGHT YOU Gario! Now you have to go review mine! :tomatoface:

This sort of thing would be great on shuffle in a playlist somewhere, but I don't know I'd listen to it as an actual album. It is neat to hear them all in piano form tho. I tend to like the boss and final boss themes, but it's all pretty good.

Well! Thank you very much for checking out this album and I'm glad you liked it. :)

Aha, now you've rolled into my neck of the woods. Feel my fury :<

Giving this a quick glance, the album has a nice consistency to it, though it does wear on me a little bit after a while (I'm the sort of person that likes a touch of variety). The MIDI enhancements are nice, overall, though it perhaps could have used a couple of different instruments from track to track (or less, oddly enough - a piano covering both the bass and the melodies/harmonies would've made a nice bonus track). Some of the tracks (Marble Garden comes to mind) are a touch off from the source, but that's an issue with the MIDI, so you can take it up with John Weeks. I remember commenting on that particular issue some time ago, too, so... yeah.

It's still a fun little album for what it is, though. As long as you're not going into it and expecting a remix album but a straight re instrumentation of preset MIDIs then it's not bad. Hope others around here enjoy it.

Also, 'sup.

Now this is a surprise! I had no idea you were on OCRemix as well, Gario! Nice to see ya. :) I would agree that there is little variation in the instrumentation and that it could be an issue. You also have a good idea for a bonus track. I do also recall your review on Marble Zone Piano back on Newgrounds. Probably not going to do much more with this set as I'm working on a Sonic 2 album right now.

At any rate, it's always nice to read your critique. Thank you very much. :)