Zelda Majoras Mask - Astral Observatory - 'shikashi's dream'

anterroir

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, I could recognize it... But it was really quiet. I had to turn up my volume pretty high to be able to hear it. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints.

"Fixed" - it now circles around 12 dB rms, but it's starting to sound sqashed. The rest has to be done with the volume handle ;).

really enjoyed the mix man. I'd but that on my iPod right now in my "chill" mix I have. Only thing I'd like to see is a darker piano when the theme kicks in and maybe a bit more drum action.

All-around solid I thought

I was looking for a darker piano tone too, but my problem is that when everythings playing -> the mids get really fishy with that muffed piano sound. (At least the ones I have) So I set it an oktave up / made it more piercing so that the gated strings and the choirs have room to "work". There is too much going on there for my mixing skills.

The prosthetic drums are now finished with breaks and accents - so it should be more lively.

http://www.anterroir.com/ocremix/shikashis_dream.mp3

EQ the piano. That could help. Add some reverb and wash the high end out a little. Just reduce the brightness :P

The left-panned square (triangle?!?) at about 1:30 was pretty disconcerting on my headphones. There wasn't anything to balance it well. It kept making me wink my left eye. Awesome.

Add some drums, maybe some minimal kick and snare, into the beginning. It was too minimal for too long and didn't build tension very effectively as a result.

I do have to agree with everyone else, though, the second half was very nice... loving the chord progression. Is that straight out of the source? If not, nice work on that!

Overall, I really enjoyed it! Just add some more hooks of some sort in the beginning to, um, hook me better :D

-> Eq'ed the piano, done some sound editing with clocktower samples and link transforming + some minor volume changes

The left-panned square (triangle?!?) at about 1:30 was pretty disconcerting on my headphones. There wasn't anything to balance it well. It kept making me wink my left eye. Awesome.

:shock: Yeah -> its panned a little to the right, but has delay thats pingponging around the center source and thus randomly eliminating some of the frequencies by phasing. Normally you want to avoid that but here it's okay. I love the PSP N2O.

The chorprogression -> when everything kicks in is mostly from the source just alternating where the new melody elements come into play and strechted to fit a 4/4 Bar rythm change. (sorry for my english)

To be honest i never thought much of the source track, (Although the observatory was soo intense), but you've really done well with the track. I love the really dark twist you've done on it, rather than the almost creepily cheerful edge the original had.

Lovin' it :D

• 2 weeks later...

The piano sample you currently have is, albeit a bit plain, definitely adequate and the processing you have on it is quite appropriate. It fits for sure. If you're interested in trying out one of the piano's I've been keeping an eye on lately and am hoping to try out myself shortly, check out the linux sampler's free Maestro Concert Grand 2 http://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html I guess the drawback is it isn't SF2 and requires its own program to run, but hey, I figured I'd mention it anyway.

The second half of the song definitely is where the great stuff is. It is mixed very well and has superb production values, and I'm really digging the arrangement. I have to give it a few more listens to check source usage (unless you're able to post a source breakdown), but from what I'm hearing it sounds like it is definitely up to OCR's standards.

This is basically sub-ready, or very nearly sub-ready. Nice stuff!

Yeah, I just want to chime in and say that this sounds good-to-go on the production side of things. Fantastic take on a theme I've really come to love. Some minor crits - after the intro, the very simple synth line that's playing feels like it could use a different synth choice or some automation/filtering to give it a bit more personality. The piano sample is just fine.

That said, I am pretty concerned that this might be viewed as too liberal. Your remix nicely follows the chord progression of the original so it FEELS like an Astral Observatory mix. You keep quoting the original often but it's heavily mixed with original writing. I can't really objectively say whether or not that the source usage is substantial enough to put it over the OCR bar in this case, I think it's going to come down to a judgment call. I like it a lot though so I say, submit and give it a shot, see what happens :-) I definitely think this has a strong shot at passing.

Either way, it's a keeper for me. Good stuff! :-D

So the full piano part starting at 0:45 is taking the piano from the source for the accompaniment and the high notes are playing that bell melody from the source but are alternating that into it's own melody at starting 1:06.

The "arpeggio" run at 1:25 is clearly the beginning of the original. And the bell coming afterwards is again resembled by the piano and so on and so on.

That synth on left side is doing the guitar part but not strictly.

For the main theme I tried to stay true to chordprogression up to that part where it changes to 3 part combo (don't have the right word for that, it starts to happen at 0:20 in the original) - that didn't fit into my 4/4 scheme so I altered that and tried to stay in the scale for the end of that cycle. So you only have 30 seconds of original material to work with as it starts to loop after that.

The rest is arranging all that and I the try to quote the source here and there.

----

*edit

@emunator:

just saw your post after writing an answer to Level99. It's just like you said.

• 4 weeks later...