Downtempo Sperlunkin' - Donkey Kong Country

kingpiano

http://soundcloud.com/kingpiano/downtempo-sperlunkin

[Was previously 5!D34RM but figured that the username and remix name clashing wasn't good]

Game: Donkey Kong Country

Original : Cave Dweller Concert

Original:

I have been arranging/performing VG music for piano for about 5 years now (and gained a moderate following on youtube), I have no idea why it took me so long to post a mix here. Would definitely appreciate feedback on the mix.

My website:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LedgerLines

Lol, I was expecting a piano remix considering your username and youtube channel. I like the vocals...they make this track very unique. They do start to get kind of boring though. I'd mix them up and add some more variation in there! Also, the last bit (2:05 and on)feels very disconnected, especially with that last synth that comes in near the end. Also, the synth that takes over the melody at 2:06 seems off tune or something. I think it clashes with the background synths.

It sounds like this could be really cool with a bit of work though :)

Yea I guess I should clarify what genre of music it is (guess I thought "downtempo" was a give away) I understand how my name could mislead. Thanks for the feedback; good insight, these are defintely things I had coinsidered (I also was to muddy up the drums cause they fell too clean). It's definitely in alpha stage I just was stoked on doing my first non-piano mix, wanted people to tell me what I could do to improve.

Also about the disconnected bit, the original feels COMPLETELY disconnected. I guess was trying to preserve some of that, but David Wise is a master and he can pull it off. DARN HIMMM!!!

(guess I thought "downtempo" was a give away)

Haha, yeah maybe I should have looked at the title instead XD

Also about the disconnected bit, the original feels COMPLETELY disconnected. I guess was trying to preserve some of that, but David Wise is a master and he can pull it off. DARN HIMMM!!!

That's actually totally true. I hadn't thought of that...I'm just not sure it works in this mix. Then again, with some more work, I'm sure it could work :)

Spent a couple hours today revamping the mix, was feeling inspired took some of it in a new direction (with some VO) and tweaked the balancing and effects (added better reverb and some echo). The end bit i still really like, but I know i need to solidify it (it was freeform for sure). Recommend listening with good stereo system or HPs.

downtempo-sperlunkin-ver2

Would appreciate feedback, what did you like what did you hate?

Thanks guys