Reflections (Ambient Trance)

Hello OCR!

It's been a while since I posted anything so I thought I would return with an original. I wrote it after hearing Armin Van Buuren for the first time. Really cool stuff. Anyway I got inspired and tried my hand at writing trance. Leave a comment letting me know what you think or if it could be improved. Thanks!

stats.png

The call and response synths about a third of the way in (sounds like a sine and some saw) didn't mesh too well, but I understand why you used them at that point since they interplay nicely later in the song.

Besides that, I really don't have anything negative to say.

I do have a couple of questions, though!

How did you make that nasty distorted bass? Is it layered? Sounds like a very distorted saw over a sine wave or something. Anyway, very cool synth, nice work :)

You put together a very cool mix! Can't wait to see the finished product.

And god damn, that bass... so good...

I'm glad you like it!

As for the bass sound. It's a square wave that is being modulated by the lfo. It's a simple pulse width modulation patch. Pretty easy to make. I used Sytrus, but any synth can do it. I've also made it in FM8 and learned how to do it by watching a video where the guy (actually zircon on OCR) used Zebra 2. Pretty cool stuff.

Hope that helped!

EDIT: Or perhaps you meant the intro bass sound. That's one of the funky wave shapes that Sytrus comes with. I just used the patch called Kloug in Sytrus. Loaded it to the mixer and threw on a touch more mid with an eq, but nothing else really.