Chippy, melodic house: House of Bits

song is here (final)

My friend Rob hung out over at my place for a while today, so we decided to work on our first ever collab! Rob is a house-lovin' man who listens to entirely too much Dinka, so he immediately laid down a sweet house beat and put together a very nice and housey chord-stab synth. He gave me my assignment for the day: make something out of that beat and chord synth before he gets home from work.

So here's my first attempt at house.

Hope you like what's done so far!! :tomatoface:

Please provide feedback if you listen! Anything is appreciated. I'd especially like to know how my mixing and mastering sounds.

haha, nah i figured, i've been distracted with some other work, too, no worries. what kind of eq are are you using on your chippy stuff, by the way? i've been messing around a lot with magical8bit and it's really fun, but it seems like there are some harsh frequencies mixed in there that i'm not sure how to eq out...

It really depends. I always turn down the volume on magical8bit (thanks halc :P) because the plugin is stupid loud by default. Also, yes, I always cut the highs a bit, roll off the subs, and boost the 4kHz area a tiny bit to make it cut. Adding overdrive, distortion, and reverb are pretty important to allowing chippy things to cut through mixes more modern elements.

Anyway, I'm just about done with this mix. I'll probably have it posted within about an hour :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, I like this. Very chilled. As for specific comments on mixing, I personally prefer much harder hitting drums and slightly louder bass, but that's me. I'm a huge fan of PrototypeRaptor's Penultimate album, so I base my assessments on that. For a first go though, it's a really nice effort!

Hah, we can't all be PrototypeRaptor :tomatoface:

I hadn't heard any of his music when wrote this, but since then, ben briggs has showed me a ton of PR's music, and whaaaaaaaaat.... that guy is incredible. His production is so damn professional. Am I jealous? Yes, I am.

I'm still pretty new to writing music, so at the time I wrote that mix, I hadn't even considered that, but if I were to go back and mess with the mix some more, I'd definitely add some more untz to the drums, especially the snare. I like the bass where it is, though. Very subtle.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, glad you liked it!