Skills that will help arrangements?

Hi everyone!

I am newbie saxophonist looking for the kind of skills to develop in order to compose arrangements (I hope i have got the terms right!)? For example, one of my favourite saxophonist, muta1206 on youtube, has fantastic backing tracks and arrangements with the saxophone as the primary instrument.

E.g.

Currently, I am studying the saxophone with a teacher, and I would like to know what kind of areas I need to learn in order to do such arrangements. I found this book on amazon, would learning how to compose be the right way forward?

My main computer is a laptop running linux, and I have been playing around with Rosegarden. Hopefully down the line I would like to acquire an osx machine to do arrangements with - not a fan of windows :)

Thank you!

GW

Hey,

So in addition to your music training encourage your teacher to also take some time to teach you about music fundamentals like Music Theory, Instrumentation, etc.

You will want to also pursue the science of music and sound along the lines of engineering concepts, recording theory, midi, mixing concepts, etc.

there are some good books out there, like the "composing/harmony/music theory for computer musicians", I own two of those.

but in all honesty, these books were recent additions to my collection, it was entirely filled with books on audio and mixing and that sort of stuff. if you plan on recording and what not, one I really recommend is "mixing audio: concepts, practises and tools".

What I mean is, what helped me the most was making covers and trying to emulate the originals.

In other words, you want to make music with more nstruments. Well, learn the basics of those instruments and how to record/fake them and how to mix them... All the same stuff every aspiring remixer newb here wants (or at least should want) to learn. ;)

Just read all the musicmaking posts and articles you can find. I have one in a link i nmy sig, and there some good ones on ocr already. And then there's the rest of the internet.

Try to learn something every day. :D

Hello all!

@dannthr - Got a lesson with my teacher tomorrow, I'll be sure to ask these questions :)

@LulzA - making covers and trying to emulate the originals: Sounds like a good idea :) Hoping to transcribe a KOF98 tune atm - bit annoying to do in the evenings thanks to the volume :D

@Rozovian - Yes! That's it. Probably only the sax(es) will be recorded, rest of it I hope to do via computer :) I'm going through your remixing guide now, many thanks for taking the time :)

Thanks remixers :)

I'm not much of a master with mixing, though I like to think I'm improving at pretty fast rate.

However, I've been writing and composing music for years and I know it's been said but honestly, the more you understand about music theory the better your songs will be. That is, assuming you actually use what you learn. A lot of people don't bother with music theory these days and I just don't understand why. It's actually pretty easy to learn, even the more advanced concepts.

A lot of people don't bother with music theory these days and I just don't understand why. It's actually pretty easy to learn, even the more advanced concepts.

It's because it has the word theory in it. Theory means study. Study means boring. Just make stuff, experiment with the writing and see what it gets you, then see if teh internetz has a name for it. I discovered I was screwing with musical modes and time signature and all kinds of stuff before I read anything about any of it. That made reading about it a lot easier when I got around to it.

Also, glad you appreciate my guide. :D

I only bothered with theory when I bought those books. my Teacher tend to teach in a "mind-closing" way... I felt I was being limited by knowing theory. Those books tend to open your mind as you read.

...But then, after awhile, I found I was thinking too much theory instead of letting the music flow.. it's contradictory, but it still helped with my job.

Oh! What kinda sax do you play? I played tenor in hs for a year, it was... fun

The most imperative thing you should do is learn theory. And learn how to play piano. Not extremely well, but well enough that you can record tracks (which isn't too hard). Because you play sax, that's really good, certain instruments/instrument groups are really hard to emulate digitally, sax or hell any brass is one of them. You should later in the far future invest into a mic and a firewire, that way if you wanna play arrangements with a sax it'll be much easier. But for now, just focus on learning an instrument and some theory.