OCR02431 - *YES* Sword of Vermilion 'Dungeoneering'

OceansAndrew

Hey, my name is Lanis Watkins. I'd like to submit this song, "Dungeoneering". It's a re-make of the dungeon song from the old Sega Genesis game Sword of Vermilion. I'm awful at putting together a decent paragraph, so here's the list of information it says to send in.

ReMixer Name: Senescence_Band (I assume this is referring to my forum username? If not, I'd like it to just be Senescence.)

Your Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Senescence/231811683502692

Name of Game Arranged: Sword of Vermilion

Name of Arrangement: "Dungeoneering"

Name of Individual Song Arranged: Dungeon

Comments: This game was a favorite of mine growing up. I recently picked it up again out of boredom. Almost immediately, I was blown away by the music. A few days later, I could not get this one song out of my head. All day at work, I was tapping my foot and humming that bass line. I'm an audio engineer, so I've got a pretty nice little project studio, so I called up my friend Derek Steele and told him we were going to cover it. As soon as he heard it, he was completely on board. I did most of the programming (drums/bass/keys/fx) and he laid down the guitars and helped here and there with the drums. A few days later and I had it mixed how I wanted, and here we are! We plan to do the entire soundtrack! We came up with the name Senescence. As it means "the process of aging or becoming old", we thought it suited our subject material.

Hope you guys like it!

• 3 weeks later...

It starts out pretty close to the original with a similar structure and melody, but there are a lot of little details throughout in the track, like the dramatic intro and changed up drums. The B section is also way more filler out with harmonies and is a good changeup from the more sparse verse section. There are a lot of good additions in the drums, and the fills were restrained but interesting and tasteful. I do think a solo would have been really nice, and a little more expansion, but this is a pretty fitting tribute that is personalized just enough for me.

The ending was the only straight up weak part; though there was at least something.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

I love when Andrew covers all the right points. Despite being somewhat conservative in some areas, there are a lot of details and personalizations that add a lot to this overall. As it goes on, things get more in the arrangement department. I like the overall track, and that bassline is super catchy. I felt like the balance in some areas wasn't quite right with the piano being a little overpowered, but it's not a dealbreaker. The ending isn't great, as well, but I'm not totally put off by it either. Overall it works for me.

YES

• 2 months later...

I love it when Andrew and Deia cover all the right points.

Can't say I liked this source nearly as much as you, but you certainly improved on it.

Loved the mysterious feeling you created with the downtempo rock elements combined with the slow pads at :37. I actually felt like they should've continued past their sudden exit at :52, but that's just me.

Very nice production work overall. Things got a little crowded with the pads behind everything else at 1:22, but that's my on

Arrangement is on the conservative side, but there were a lot of nice ideas you brought to the table as well as subtle nuances to various parts.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

That first chord with the lead guitars hit me in a really nice way. Definitely a good feel to this remix, and you can feel the source love coming through. Some of the background elements are getting a little overpowered but on the whole it's well balanced. On the conservative side but there is enough going on to set it apart. I can see why you'd have the bass stuck in your head.

YES