Are Obsidian making a new Chrono Trigger?

lazygecko

I think Team Ninja may have had a hand in making it a Ninja Gaiden-ish game. Just a hunch. Nintendo may have been the ones to force them to use only the Wiimote/Waggle/Pointer, but considering how thats a major part of the game play its hard to believe they never objected at any point

Back to topic:

I still question why a Western RPG team can be expected to make a good game with a license from a very Japanese RPG game series. The styles conflict greatly. It would be interesting to apply the open ended western style RPG style of gameplay to time travel, but you'd have to have a developer a lot better than this to try to pull off something like that. Wouldn't make it very Chrono ish either way being the series is focused on a linear story path

I still question why a Western RPG team can be expected to make a good game with a license from a very Japanese RPG game series. The styles conflict greatly

i agree with this. you can always expect a studio to put their mark on an IP, which is why awesome games don't always come from developers with the best track record, and vice versa.

look what obsidian is known for. KOTOR 2 is considered by most who played the game without beer (SW) goggles to be a real letdown after the excellent initial entry in the series. the NWN games, while doing decent in critical reviews and being fun to play, were marred by bugs and inconsistent design, and barely sold within parameters for being such a big-name IP. alpha protocol was a commercial and critical failure, regardless of what a few vocal people on these forums seem to think. new vegas has the Fallout IP on it, and it was criticized for massive bugs that persisted from Fallout 3 - as in, they didn't fix the bugs they already knew about - and for just being more of the same. Dungeon Siege III is getting similar criticism, for uninspired design that's clearly derivative of a prior game (in this case, DII).

i see a troublesome pattern here. I see game after game handed to them - only one is their own IP, the rest were given to them to handle - where uninspired design and major bugs are the defining characteristics of each game. the poor job on New Vegas and DS3 are the two that are most troublesome to me - these are established IPs where the game functioned either as a large expansion pack with no new engine improvements or bug fixes (New Vegas) or functioned as a shiny layer of graphics over a tired gameplay mechanic. these are huge, huge IPs, people - Fallout's probably top five among PC games, and the DS series (on PC and consoles) has sold millions of copies doing their own unique form of dungeon crawling. one goes the way of shiny graphics and crappy gameplay, the other keeps the gameplay and dated visuals someone else already did and just regurgitates some more "kill six rad roaches" design from the previous five or six entries in the Fallout 3 world.

and you folks want obsidian - a developer that has always been primarily a PC developer - to do something with CT, one of the most venerated games in history? a game that is lauded for single-handedly introducing the importance of story, of depth of character, of creative continuity, to the RPG world? to the console world? sorry. i'll pass. at least until they show that they can do something great.

also, before someone points out that fallout and NWN are technically obsidian's IPs because Black Isles studios did them initially, it's not the same thing. not when a lot of the original development crew wasn't there, and they were under new leadership. not the same at all.

Even if you like their sequels, they are still modifications to an existing engine, and PC games. They had an entire recent game to mimic, resources to borrow, and the engine to mimic it on.

CT was SNES, CC was PSX. They'd pretty much have to start from scratch to make a modern Chrono

Not to mention the whole JRPG vs WRPG thing

I would encourage ANYONE to try to make a proper CT sequel. I would also encourage them, if they failed, to delete it from existence instead of releasing it if it is crap.

But there are some games like FFX-2 that have the potential to be a decent game, but just need things changed... Like every aspect of the dress-up system, and put Tidus back as the main character, and get rid of the pop songs... Just minor changes that would have made it ok.

ffx2 is considered by most japanese game writers and reviewers to be one of the better jrpgs to have ever been released. i think famitsu has it listed in the mid-30s all-time among any game, ever. maybe 32? i forget. i did a little research on it for a writeup a did a while back. it's got a high metacritic rating, too. that's almost more notable, showing that it was well-received in all three major theaters of the gaming world, unlike some other high-scoring games that weren't ever reviewed overseas.

i got the information off of wikipedia, so i'm sure it's still there since it was referenced and supported.

I would encourage ANYONE to try to make a proper CT sequel. I would also encourage them, if they failed, to delete it from existence instead of releasing it if it is crap.

But there are some games like FFX-2 that have the potential to be a decent game, but just need things changed... Like every aspect of the dress-up system, and put Tidus back as the main character, and get rid of the pop songs... Just minor changes that would have made it ok.

You mean, change the entire tone and point of the story even taking place? If you didn't know FFX-2 was going to be about gurl powah and sugary boppy bullshit then you were not making an educated purchase.

On-topic, I think at this point I'd just love another game that has a similar CONCEPT as Chrono Trigger. Radiant Historia came closest, and is a damn fine game in its own right.

I was 15 at the time, and I loved FFX and thought it'd continue in the same way and bring back Tidus. Don't make fun of me. :-( I can't take it!

Why'd they show him swimming up at the end if he was gone AHH FORGET IT

If they made Marle the main character of CT: 2 and had them all dressing skimpy and singing pop songs, I would be pissed. :-(

The good ending of FFX-2 you mean? I never actually finished that game. :-( I was talking about how at the end of FFX (which only has a bad ending that I'm aware of, lol) after the credits, you see Tidus swim up out of the water...

Considering I'll probably never play it again (partially in part due to PS3 having no ps2 compatibility anymore) I will definitely check out this FFX-2 Good Ending you speka of

edit: That's another thing CT had that i wasn't so fond of, the multiple endings based on stuff you did, ya?

I was 15 at the time, and I loved FFX and thought it'd continue in the same way and bring back Tidus. Don't make fun of me. :-( I can't take it!

Why'd they show him swimming up at the end if he was gone AHH FORGET IT

If they made Marle the main character of CT: 2 and had them all dressing skimpy and singing pop songs, I would be pissed. :-(

When I was playing FFX, I remember wanting a prequel starring Braska, Auron, and Jecht.

Obsidian is not a singular entity, but a corporation made up of many individuals. The title is grammatically correct. Gecko does not make mistakes.

While the rest of this topic is relevant to my interests, the only reply I have decided to make was this.

He's right - "Obsidian" is a singular noun, consisting of a conglomeration of its elements. Else, he would say "Are the members of Obsidian making..." which points to the multiple people involved.

It's like saying an omelette isn't a single entity because it has multiple ingredients that make up its whole.

I'm so glad that I can add value to this thread and not bicker over dumb, irrelevant shit that doesn't matter.

"Obsidian" is a singular noun, consisting of a conglomeration of its elements. Else, he would say "Are the members of Obsidian making..." which points to the multiple people involved.

It's like saying an omelette isn't a single entity because it has multiple ingredients that make up its whole.

Thank you. Please change the grammar. I'm sorry but maybe just this once Gecko made a mistake, yo.

As for how well Obsidian could do making the next Chrono game, I don't know since I've never played an Obsidian game. But I'm sure that any western game company could make a JRPG and visa versa. Also, if they want to give it to another company, I hope they think hard about whom because it's not like we're ever going to get another better Chrono game if they mess up this one. Level 5 has been doing a good job with Dragon Quest lately. I think they should do it.