Recommend me Xbox 360 games!

Final_metroid

Hey all,

I recently let myself get shanghaied by the "Laptop + free xbox 360" deal microsoft was giving out. I am unsure of what to get, considering I've been listening to too much zero punctuation and I don't trust the choices when scrolling down the "best seller" list.

I was thinking Bioshock to be a definite, with perhaps Bayonetta and FFXIII being kind of iffy. I remembered the new installment of Katamari that was on the xbox...although I don't know if thats any good either...

When it comes to selecting games though, I just always seem to compare everything to my belated PS2 experience. I immediately inundated myself in obscure or underrated titles like Shadow Hearts or SoTC/Ico. The xbox just seems to have a different character and feel though.

Any suggestions?

I immediately inundated myself in obscure or underrated titles like Shadow Hearts or SoTC/Ico. The xbox just seems to have a different character and feel though.

what's that you say

you like

games

also eternal sonata is definitely solid, although i think it's on ps3 now also

also there's a bunch of not-unknown titles that are really good...just depends on what types of games you're interested in playing. bioshock is a good choice. i wouldn't really recommend ffxiii unless you prepare yourself thoroughly beforehand and decide you still want to play it (it's an awkward experience). haven't played bayonetta but i hear good things.

what's that you say

you like

games

also eternal sonata is definitely solid, although i think it's on ps3 now also

Believe it or not, Viva Pinata was on the top grossing list that I looked at. Eternal Sonata definitely looks interesting, I definitely want to try an RPG outside the realm of squeenix androgynes.

As for ^^ and ^^^, I almost forget about the XBLA, and how it can probably offer me more fun at a lesser cost. Being the self-proclaimed gaming hipster I am, Im reluctant to approach Halo reach but I defnitely want to see what the fuss is about.

Being the self-proclaimed gaming hipster I am, Im reluctant to approach Halo reach but I defnitely want to see what the fuss is about.

Halo Reach is a well-made game (no doubt about that).

The complaints about games like Halo is that each new installment is basically the same as the last with new content, but if you ignore that and just look at the games individually they're each good games. I would get at least 3: ODST and Reach. Reach and 3 (just regular plain 3) are more similar (you're a spartan in both, but reach takes place right before Halo 1) but I like Reach's story (plus it has a much more vast multiplayer experience than Halo 3 by itself) so I recommend it.

In ODST you have to be more careful, you're not jumping into crowds as much as thinking of a strategy of how to get from Point A to Point B without getting MURDERED. You're a regular Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (not spartan) so you're not as powerful, can't dual wield, need med packs to restore health and stuff like that. I would at least get Reach and ODST and if you like it and want more get Halo 3. ODST has very chill music in some parts while 3 and Reach are more epic and dramatic. If you have money just get all three of them, you won't regret it. :P And if you're into RTS games then Halo Wars is awesome. Don't believe anyone who tells you its crap, they're butthurt that it's not a shooter like the other Halo games.

Believe it or not, Viva Pinata was on the top grossing list that I looked at. Eternal Sonata definitely looks interesting, I definitely want to try an RPG outside the realm of squeenix androgynes.

As for ^^ and ^^^, I almost forget about the XBLA, and how it can probably offer me more fun at a lesser cost. Being the self-proclaimed gaming hipster I am, Im reluctant to approach Halo reach but I defnitely want to see what the fuss is about.

i totally forgot about enslaved: odyssey to the west. that game is fucking rad and it definitely takes some gameplay cues from ico. it sold like 6 copies so it might be a good fit for you. it's probably pretty cheap now, also.

i don't know a whole lot about jrpgs on the 360. to be honest it seems to be a pretty barren genre for this generation as a whole. most of the stuff that's hit the 360 tends to have pretty split popular opinions so i wouldn't know where to start. but eternal sonata is a good distraction for a while and it's not a huge timesink. it's very pretty and has a fun battle system. pretty incoherent story.

xbla opens up a lot of options, so definitely look into that. i had no idea viva pinata sold that well, though. that is really encouraging to hear. maybe i should hate gamers less than i do.

Games I play the most:

The Orange Box (Half-Life 2 series plus Portal and Team Fortress, excellent buy)

Gears of War series

Mass Effect series

Bioshock is a definite, 2 is okay if you love the first one

Dragon Age

There are others, but these account for over half of my total playtime.

Two thumbs up for Bayonetta. Hopeful for a second.

This game has a story that never fully reveals itself and keeps you guessing to the final epic scene. Its style is very much a breath of fresh air and the combat is finally back to a style i can really enjoy.

Moves are intuitive and reactive. Witch time is an awesome addition, and the game gives you an honest to god feeling of 'HELL YEAH' When you knock a boss down.

The characters don't feel thrown together and the story really does tell itself. A very fun title to play.

Above it all however is a soundtrack of just OUTRAGEOUS quality. Before you ask, the original song used (and you'll know it when you hear it) was from the 1960's. I was in utter shock because i remember that particular song from a movie. (Space Cowboys) I also know the original singer in question by reputation. You will have a lot of fun playing this in my opinion but if you haven't played a beat-em-up in a while i suggest starting on easy. There is some legitimate replay value to the game to boot as you beat it at higher difficulty levels.

Get Mass Effect while you're at it. This is not something to miss out on. Given that Forza 4 has been announced if you're looking for a racer i'd wait on that.

I should really stop taking zero punctuation seriously or otherwise Id have to discount almosteverything here... (Yahtzee actually managed to scare me away from Bayonetta somewhat)

but im noticing a lot of these games are FPS games. I know games like ME and Gears have gimmicks that differentiate them from tge rest

A lot of the big story games have been FPS which is a delight in one sense.

Halo tells an incredible story.

Mass Effect does the same thing

Having not played GoW i cant be 100% sure but i bet there's a good story on there too.

Now I should put a warning out on Bayonetta I don't bother with Zero Punctuation but some people cant quite get around the curvacious beauty and some of the more suggestive situations of the game. The game does put you on the 'evil' side in a sense but that's all part of the story that's told. It is not for a younger mind who hasn't been playing games for a while. Loving a Mystery this game really won me over early on. If you're not liking mysteries this one might not be for you.

Eternal Sonata is a pretty solid RPG. Mainly because like everything in that game relates to music theory or Chopin in some way which I thought was just awesome. Its on PS3 too, but it was on XBox first. Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean: The Last Hope are both decent RPGs also.

My XBox needs more love actually, I only have a handful of games for it. So I'm going to keep my eye on this thread myself, haha.

GTA 4, that's it. After about 3 nonstop hours of driving on sidewalks, you'll understand. :nicework:

BTW, you can go to half.com and buy most of the games recommended here LIKE NEW for an average of $10-$30 a game. You could easily get 3-4 games under $100. That's how I do it, and it rules. They look as new as taking the shrink wrap fresh off.

GTA 4, that's it. After about 3 nonstop hours of driving on sidewalks, you'll understand. :nicework:

BTW, you can go to half.com and buy most of the games recommended here LIKE NEW for an average of $10-$30 a game. You could easily get 3-4 games under $100. That's how I do it, and it rules. They look as new as taking the shrink wrap fresh off.

This.

I have to admit that Postal 2 was one of my guilty pleasures, and Id have to consider GTA as the same formula except done right. I'll definitely check out the website, most of the games Im planning to get that Ive looked up online are more expensive if shipping costs are considered, so I thought Id just scrounge for them at gamestop

Edit: Any opinions on Arkham Asylum? Ive been finding myself watching justice league and batman TAS more and more nowadays

This.

I have to admit that Postal 2 was one of my guilty pleasures, and Id have to consider GTA as the same formula except done right. I'll definitely check out the website, most of the games Im planning to get that Ive looked up online are more expensive if shipping costs are considered, so I thought Id just scrounge for them at gamestop

Edit: Any opinions on Arkham Asylum? Ive been finding myself watching justice league and batman TAS more and more nowadays

How the hell could i have forgotten that?! They finally got a Superhero game RIGHT!

This played like a batman game should. You really got to play the stealth and investigative side of the bat while being able to brawl. They achieved an incredible balance and the voice acting was oldschool animated series WIN! Batman, Harle, Joker, Croc, and i think even Oracle were the original voices.

The big surprise there was Joker. In the wake of Ledger's death and everything else Mark Hammil comes back for one more run. And he's been confirmed for Arhkam City. (launching in October) The Joker is the one role that no one has Dared to fuck up. Ledger's Joker was masterwork. Loved the spin. Jack Nicholson's was iconic. But The voice people know as 'The Joker' Belongs to none other than the actor who helped kick off Star Wars.

A slower paced game than Bayonetta Arkham Asylum is another that's going to rock.

Alan Wake. It's like Max Payne, but not. But yes. Eh, regardless, I've beaten the game twice now. All the haters gonna hate, but if you're after a cool story, killer atmosphere, some really solid mechanics, and great music, then yah, Alan Wake. (Also check out the 'Bright Falls' web series that acts as a prequel to the game. It's a little bit of a mind f**k till you actually get around to playing the game. Truly stunning.)

The Mass Effect games are a must. Both of them.

If you like arcade racers, I'd recommend Split/Second. A more unique, bombastic arcade racer you have never played. Tons of fun. Should be cheap now too. On PS3 also, but still, completely worth owning.

Another addictive racer is Import Tuner Challenge. Completely generic in every single way... except for the gameplay. This IS a Tokyo Xtreme Racer game (strangely re-branded). As such the graphics are very, very average; the soundtrack ho-hum, and the car AI is horrendous. Except it's insanely addictive. It's a racing game, with fighting game sensibilities. You should be able to pick this up extremely cheap, and as such, definitely try it out. I pull the game out every 6 months or so and spend 2 days straight just playing the thing. Still to this day an utterly unique, one-off title on the 360.

If you're gonna get into Halo, you may as well wait for Halo: Anniversary Edition (or just grab the original Halo) and start from the beginning. To not play through the games in order will be doing yourself a great disservice because, as others have mentioned, the storyline and fiction is rather strong, and a real driving force behind the campaigns. Since all the older Halo's are backward compatible, it would be worth tracking them down.

Also, GTA4 has been mentioned, but personally I much prefer the Crackdown games over GTA4 (which is perhaps the blandest of bland games I've come across). Once you start after the Agility Orbs hidden all over the cities in Crackdown, it's all over. Perhaps one of the most addictive games I've ever played... and all because of those damned Agility Orbs...

Hope this helps :D

Definitely second the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age and Bioshock.

I would personally recommend DJ Hero 2 and Rock Band 3.

Lost Odyssey seems to be somewhat popular around here, seeing as how there are 3 posted remixes (tied for this console generation, excluding portables), though I haven't played it.

I just finally got myself an XBox 360 a couple weeks ago. Been trying to find games that I like.

Significantly more gameplay than cutscenes, please.

I like children games as much as adult. I have a nephew to share it with too, so yeah.

I've never met an RPG that I did enjoy playing, so it's likely that recommending an RPG will fall on deaf ears here.

Also, is there a way to play an XBox with a Qwerty+mouse so I can play FPSs and RTSs?

To avoid burning myself out when it comes to games, I think I may just only start with Viva Pinata and Bioshock.

I never even got to finishing Twilight Princess or RE4 on the Wii...so I shouldnt get too ahead of myself.

But I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from this thread, but the XBLA hasn't gotten any love at all!

To avoid burning myself out when it comes to games, I think I may just only start with Viva Pinata and Bioshock.

I never even got to finishing Twilight Princess or RE4 on the Wii...so I shouldnt get too ahead of myself.

But I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from this thread, but the XBLA hasn't gotten any love at all!

braid! super meat boy! limbo! i'm forgetting some! bastion comes out in 2 weeks which will probably be great

also fuck yeah viva pinata

Before I got rid of my 360, I invested more into the XBLA than physical games. I found few games that could be justified for their $60 price tag.

XBLA games I highly recommend:

Portal: Still Alive (if you don't buy Orange Box)

Scott Pilgrim (a good beat-em up, good Anamanaguchi OST)

Pacman Championship Edition DX

Crazy Taxi (yeah, the "updated" soundtrack sucks)

Super Puzzle Fighter

Bionic Commando ReArmed

Outrun Arcade

Perfect Dark (60 FPS, much better than what N64 handled)

Banjo Kazooie (same as above)

Final Fight

Super Meat Boy (If you can get a 100 % in that game I hate you)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD REMIX (the soundtrack :wink:)

Castle Crashers

Shadow Complex (Metroid rip off, but good)

Beyond Good and Evil HD

Plants VS. Zombies

Doritos Crash Course (an actually good game, and free)

Outland (okay, rips off Metroid, and tries to be Ikaruga also)

I would have recommended Braid, but I realize now that game sucked. Don't bother with Comic Jumper, it tries to be funny, but comes off obnoxious.

Personally, I'd have to recommend Halo: Reach, Final Fantasy 13, and Borderlands.

All 3 are hit or miss, you'll most likely either love em or hate em. Halo's a great game and can provide mass amounts of entertainment. If you like the older Halo games, or FPS' in general, check it out.

FF13 is one that'll really be hit or miss. Most people either thought it was great, or hated it immensely. I was one of those people who put off buying it for a year because I thought it looked bad and I'd hate it. I was wrong, turned out to be a great game, good story, good gameplay, and good length. The only things that kinda disappointed me were lack of things to do post-game, and not very memorable/likable characters (except Sazh, he's awesome.)

Borderlands is a fantastic FPS RPG hybrid. Think Fallout style, but a lot better made, and a lot more replay value. The story is weak at best, but the dialogue and tone of the game are very enjoyable and entertaining (and funny). There's 4 different characters to choose from, all with their own ability trees and skills, so the replay value is good. If you play with friends the game is a fantastic party game. A lot of teamwork can be used in the game, but not really the fast paced intense teamwork you'd expect from a FPS like Halo or Call Of Duty, more of the casual teamwork like something out of a Mario Party game.

I'd definitely say look em up, watch some IGN reviews on em to see if they look interesting (don't trust Zero Punctuation, he scrutinizes the games very intensely simply because it gets a laugh, don't take it as a serious review.). All 3 are generally cheap for 360 games too now.