Petition to Square Enix to create a new 16 bit FF game

dasaten

Hi all!

I have written a petition in the hopes that if it gets enough sigs, SE may make another game that brings back the awesomeness of FF IV, V and VI. I know it's a long shot, but SE has responded to other petitions in the past. A petition to remake FFVII which has 20,000 sigs was submitted, and SE replied that they have no intention to do a remake currently. So, I'm ambitiously hoping to get at least 100,000 sigs before submitting the petition. Also, I will translate it into Japanese and send it to Square Enix Japan.

If you don't agree, that's fine. Don't sign. But, if you're like me and think that SNES was the greatest system ever made and long for a new 16 bit Final Fantasy, please go ahead and sign. thanks!

http://www.petitiononline.com/finalf16/petition.html

Originally i thought this was a remake of Legend (SaGa), but i forgot that was the US name.

So, yes, there is 2D FFs being made still!

Also being worked on by the same team who did FFIV: The After Years (that I mentioned)

So, like DarkeSword mentioned, your petition traveled through time. Congratulations!

Note: This, like The After Years, is going to start out on Mobile, but like any of the FF 2d games, will probably be ported to everything under the sun.

The After Years team does not comprise of any of the classic developers of FF series. And definately not Uematsu

Oh, exciting! I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone is a primary platform for this; Square-Enix has released a good number of apps for iOS.

It's not an iOS game, it's developed specifically for Japanese cellphones that use the i-mode service. It's already out in Japan too; been out for months.

It's basically an episodic release like The After Years except it's totally original and not a sequel to any previous Final Fantasy game, although it does have a job system like FFV.

Yeah, I know about FFIV the After Years and Hikaru to Yami no Senshi. I don't want some half baked episodic release with recycled music. I never played After Years, but it didn't get very good reviews. I'm talking about a FULL, NEW 16 bit game with the same effort put into it as other releases.

Half baked? After Years was excellent or at least a lot better than it should've been for a direct sequel 17 years after the fact. It wasn't perfect but I guarantee you all those mediocre reviews (74% on Gamerankings is bad? http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/958463-final-fantasy-iv-the-after-years/index.html) basically amount to fan-whining "Urg why did this need a sequel even though we bugged Square about it for years?" instead of reasonable items why the game supposedly does not work.

It's probably the closest thing to a full-fledged 16-bit FF you're actually going to get from them for a while, so give it a shot at least with FFIV Complete Collection.

Yeah, I know about FFIV the After Years and Hikaru to Yami no Senshi. I don't want some half baked episodic release with recycled music. I never played After Years, but it didn't get very good reviews. I'm talking about a FULL, NEW 16 bit game with the same effort put into it as other releases.

Final Fantasy Legends: Hikari to Yami no Senshi is a completely original game. New world, new characters, new music, all done in the style of 16-bit era Final Fantasy games. It seems to me that this is exactly what you're looking for; the only problem is that nobody outside of Japan can play this game yet. If After Years is any indication, this game will most likely get some kind of port to a more accessible platform.

And I did play the After Years and I thought it was just fine. I like the new characters and story, and adding the phases of the moon affecting battle conditions was a nice touch too.

You haven't played After Years or Legends, yet you call them "half-baked" and make assumptions about the amount of "effort" put into them. What makes you think that an internet petition is going to get Square Enix to sit down and say, "Guys, we need to put more EFFORT into making a 16-bit Final Fantasy game! We need make sure this game is fully baked!" What makes you think that just because you get 100,000 people to sign your petition, Square Enix is going to make a better game?

I didn't want to say this before because it's something everyone says about internet petitions and also what you were petitioning for already existed, but here's the thing: internet petitions don't work, especially not with such a traditionally Japanese company like Square Enix. 20,000 people signed a petition for a Final Fantasy 7 remake and what did they say? "We have no intention at this time." That's an official response made to any inquiry made about unplanned or unannounced projects, and doesn't really have anything to do with a petition or the amount of signatures on one.

Umm... I took part in an internet petition once and now we have The Adventures of Pete and Pete on DVD. :) But yes, game companies, especially large ones like Square Enix, won't accept ideas on what they should do next for a variety of reasons. Legal is one, lack of insight another. They watch trends and (sometimes) listen to what customers have to say and make decisions based on those that would prove the most lucrative to them, but they're not going to make games just because you signed a petition to do so. The Chrono series, according to them, is not lucrative enough to warrant another game so they haven't made another one. That's just one annoying example.

I've found that if you never run from battles, unless you're in absolute dire straits, most rpgs are well balanced enough that you should hardly ever need to grind

more advice: don't try to overpower your foes. balance buffs with attacks and you'll do fine.

this even works for other games like Ratchet and Clank (especially 2 and 3 with the Shield Charger/Tesla Barrier)