Petition to Square Enix to create a new 16 bit FF game

dasaten

I've played it, and have it in the little desk to the right of my PC here. But I didn't like it all that much. The story was interesting enough. It had a nice challenge to it. Despite the complaints some people had about it's graphics I found it rather charming. But in the end.. I just didn't like it.

There was a time in my life where I could buy any Squaresoft branded game without knowing anything about it, and it would be good.

Times have changed. It kinda makes me sad. But now we're in an era of gaming where reviews, trailers, and demos predate our game releases and we've got to check those or we may be saddled with a bad game.

Four Heroes of Light. Seriously. I don't understand why more people haven't played this game. It is exactly what fans of "old-school" Final Fantasy want.

Everyone is QQing because they either want another 16-bit mainline Final Fantasy or just decided to come out of the wetwork to vent their frustrations with the series as a whole starting from their Final Fantasy of choice. It's basically a broken record by now.

Huh. Y'know, for all the crap SquareEnix gets, I've noticed that some of my favorite games from recent years are from that company (either created or produced by them, anyway). Saga2 DS remake (with the fan translation, of course), TWEWY, DQIX... Perhaps their FF franchise isn't doing so hot right now (I haven't been in the console market for almost a decade so I can't say) but there are certainly some great games that they still produce. I suppose that's just me, though - to each his own, here.

I'm with you on that. I'm really not impressed with all of the ports/remakes they've been doing, but some of the more original games are quite good. Hell, I even liked FF12 even though most didn't. It definitely had a different feel, and the story/characters were terrible, but I thought the gameplay itself was really fun.

There was a time in my life where I could buy any Squaresoft branded game without knowing anything about it, and it would be good.

Ain't THAT the truth.

I put that time period ending around their foray into the PS2. The Bouncer was more a tech demo for their facial animations, and FFX...well, there's been enough said about THAT game that I need not get into it. And yet despite all that I was willing to keep my hopes up, figuring "It's still new technology to them, they just need to iron out the kinks; after all, FF7 looked like crap when it was released, but FF9 was gorgeous for its time. Surely they'll put out a quality product!"

And then we got Unlimited Saga.

One thing I keep noticing: You all keep criticizing Square-Enix in the "they". Do we actually have names for these people ruining your games or is it some sort of phantom composite of Japanese pointy-hair business suits that don't have names but are the icon for the company? I mean, do we actually have an agreement for when Square-Enix supposedly started sucking?

One thing I keep noticing: You all keep criticizing Square-Enix in the "they". Do we actually have names for these people ruining your games or is it some sort of phantom composite of Japanese pointy-hair business suits that don't have names but are the icon for the company? I mean' date=' do we actually have an agreement for when Square-Enix supposedly started sucking?[/quote']

But...those two questions aren't the same at all :S

And there's no way for everyone to agree on a time when they "started sucking". Everyone is going to have different opinions.

Square's still got it. Just go play The World Ends With You, my personal favorite video game PERIOD. RPGamer just awarded it favorite DS RPG amongst the RPGamer staff. Their reviews tend to be pretty reliable as they often release reviews weeks to months after the games come out since they play them all to completion.As far as new stuff goes, I heard Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday is really awesome from a friend.

Home consoles are just not the place for JRPG's anymore. The HD graphics and voice acting requirement force them to make games that feel small to us players who have been around since the 90's, and they have to appeal to such a broad demo as to fall into lameness. See FF13's long development time and how it tried (poorly) to appeal to a bunch of different bases. See Valkyria Chronicles as a niche home console JRPG that was amazing that nobody bought. There is still life for JRPG's on the portables for the moment though.

I don't see a whole lot of remixers angry at all this orchestral crap and starting petitions to get a company to make more chiptunes though

This basically. Y'all gotta stop with the whole "this site thriving off nostalgia" herp a derp shtick. If this site really fed strictly off nostalgia, then every crappy Sonic midi track with an extra snare drum would be heralded as the greatest shit ever. If you'll kindly take notice, the best artists here attempt to look forward with their stuff, not remain stuck in some perceived "golden period".

It's the same thing with the game industry. If you want games like FFIV-VI, guess what? They already exist. Go play 'em. I do on a regular basis, but don't ask companies to take two steps back just because you as an individual may not appreciate their current direction(an opinion that plenty of people would contest).

I get your point your trying to make, but indicating chiptunes are somehow lesser than modern tunes / OC Remixes, and even suggesting crappy MIDIs w/ snares would be better is kinda off. Theres some fantastic chiptunes out there made by talented artists you'd be missing out by not listening to them just because its "not orchestrated"/"modern" etc. Just because its not on this site doesn't mean its not good.

Theres fantastic Retro style games too. SE could make one (like they are having Matrix do with After Years/Legends) if only to sell TO the "Retro" audience. I dont see them ever doing it with a mainline FF for obvious reasons. Closest thing we got to that was IX and probably the last.

Though, I wouldn't call XIII (or XIV) a "step ahead" either. Maybe a retro game would at least have towns. PROGRESS!!

Topicish:

I'd be more looking forward to something being released by a smaller, and/or indie dev than Square for a retro RPG though. As mentioned here by someone else, current audience for console RPGs want bigger and better. Its not lucrative to push something retro outside of a downloadable title or portable. Square themselves aren't exactly the house of talent they once were either way, so Retro or not, the game has a high chance of turning out bad these days

for anyone who doesn't already realize this getting square to make a 16 bit game doesn't mean they'll make another ff III or anything even remotely close to it

this entire thing seems silly to me the people who work at square are a group of people who never worked on a 16 bit game and wouldn't know where to start. like seriously putting everything back in the bronze age graphically doesn't change the way a company makes games. im sure some people will point to the new mega man games but in an rpg there is not restriction to how things are done they could 16 bit just about any of the final fantasy games, minus the mmos and XII and they would largely be the same games. minus you know, good production values because people nowadays clearly hate those

seriously. you might as well petition to have someone flip the original final fantasy on its horizontal axis and call it a new game. or petition to get off your ass and get a rom of one of the old ff's and enjoy it again/for the first time

I'd be more looking forward to something being released by a smaller, and/or indie dev than Square for a retro RPG though. As mentioned here by someone else, current audience for console RPGs want bigger and better. Its not lucrative to push something retro outside of a downloadable title or portable. Square themselves aren't exactly the house of talent they once were either way, so Retro or not, the game has a high chance of turning out bad these days

Atlus seems to be filling this niche these days with their releases. A lot of their DS releases are 2D games, but are actually new games instead of just retro nostalgia throwbacks. Or there is Radiant Historia an RPG that is sprites on 3D (think Xenogears) and is an amazing game.

And before then there was Working Designs releasing 2D RPGs in an age of 3D.

I think they were a better publisher than Atlus myself (because Atlus just puts its name on stuff most the time and knows it will sell*), but that's another topic.

Basically, it's a matter of where to look, since there is still a "retro" crowd (usually a stupid crowd but hey) in the market for "retro" games.

*Not to say they DON'T bring over some excellent games, however.