Petition to Square Enix to create a new 16 bit FF game

dasaten

Atlus seems to be filling this niche these days with their releases. A lot of their DS releases are 2D games, but are actually new games instead of just retro nostalgia throwbacks. Or there is Radiant Historia an RPG that is sprites on 3D (think Xenogears) and is an amazing game.

I'm enjoying Radiant Historia quite a bit, but it's no Xenogears. I get people wanting square to make a new 16 bit/32 bit style game. The RPGs from the 32 bit Playstation days had quite a lot of heart, or maybe it's just nostalgia clouding my judgement. When I play Radiant Historia, it's a great game, but I don't get this seminal legacy feeling that I got when I played Xenogears FFT, or even earlier games like Breath of Fire, or Lunar. I think it is just nostalgia though.

I'm enjoying Radiant Historia quite a bit, but it's no Xenogears. I get people wanting square to make a new 16 bit/32 bit style game. The RPGs from the 32 bit Playstation days had quite a lot of heart, or maybe it's just nostalgia clouding my judgement. When I play Radiant Historia, it's a great game, but I don't get this seminal legacy feeling that I got when I played Xenogears FFT, or even earlier games like Breath of Fire, or Lunar. I think it is just nostalgia though.

I think the PSX RPG's weren't afraid to try something that might fail and were trying to push the boundaries of what kinds of stories games could tell. Like Xenogears ran out of a budget and integrated Gnostic themes and way too much story. But hey they tried. It's not a bad game, just a very experimental one. Chrono Cross had a fuckton of characters and it didn't really didn't work well. But once again, they were just trying something different.

I was just saying Radiant Historia LOOKS like Xenogears. It is certainly no Xenogears when it comes to story or attempted scope. Xenogears is probably the most ambitious RPG I've ever seen.