Macbook Pro vs....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OM4ZO/ref=pe_159760_20331370_pe_epc_d6

Mac more expensive.

Mac no tengo FL studio.

HP doesn't support logic.

BOTH support Ableton.

Both i7 w/plenty of RAM and hard-drive space.

HP has a history of poorly grounded soundcards resulting in noise (while mac's are dangerously quiet), but apparently with their newer series they fixed it.

Beats audio ® © TM presents itself as poo.

For music production, which would you get?

Mac more expensive.

You buy it because you want to run an application on OSX and don't feel like making a hack build that'll run on a vanilla x86, and because it's hella stylish.

Also, having Logic AND FL Studio AND Live is having 3 beefed up sports cars - it's neat, but in practice you'll only drive one of 'm.

HP has a history of poorly grounded soundcards

Buy a decent audio interface, disable the on-board crap.

There's no reason to choose one based on what is in both cases a lowest-bidder POS chip that's only included so grandma can listen to Youtube.

The only thing you get with a Mac is better resale value, though for the amount you overpay I don't think it's worth it. These there are countless music production packages that are just fantastic on either platform, not to mention FL is lame and there are better things out there than Logic.

What you really should be looking at is the value. I've got an old Dell laptop that I've been using for personal use and field recording for about 4-5 years now, and it's still in perfectly working condition.. and that's just a shitty Dell. I've also got a Macbook (same specs as the Dell) that I bought around the same time for twice the price, and still works great too. It all comes down to how you treat your stuff.

Generally that's the case with all my machines: for every PC I have an equivalent Mac, and I seriously prefer working on the PCs (I just prefer Windows to OSX), but the hardware performs identically for me and the software is no more or less reliable (because I took the time out to make sure my PC hardware was absolutely compatible and configured to communicate together properly, though with a laptop you're getting that right out of the box so it's less of a hassle).

not to mention FL is lame

FL is the only reason I don't have a mac, cause they won't port it for some inane reason.

Not that my custom WinXP machine doesn't work, I'm just sick of having to do all the hardware cross checking myself, like you said.

As far as audio interfaces go, I really like this one that my friend picked up on the cheap:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACONYXBLACKJACK

It's built like a tank

The only thing you get with a Mac is better resale value, though for the amount you overpay I don't think it's worth it. These there are countless music production packages that are just fantastic on either platform, not to mention FL is lame and there are better things out there than Logic.

What you really should be looking at is the value. I've got an old Dell laptop that I've been using for personal use and field recording for about 4-5 years now, and it's still in perfectly working condition.. and that's just a shitty Dell. I've also got a Macbook (same specs as the Dell) that I bought around the same time for twice the price, and still works great too. It all comes down to how you treat your stuff.

Generally that's the case with all my machines: for every PC I have an equivalent Mac, and I seriously prefer working on the PCs (I just prefer Windows to OSX), but the hardware performs identically for me and the software is no more or less reliable (because I took the time out to make sure my PC hardware was absolutely compatible and configured to communicate together properly, though with a laptop you're getting that right out of the box so it's less of a hassle).

I approve this post.