OCR01334 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "The Devil Inside (Italo Disco Mix)"

djpretzel

As far as I know, the choice of the samples isn't something to take in mind - it's how they're applied. Mind, I saw this to be an awesome mix at VGMix and I equally appreciate it here. A great debut for Akuma in his own right.

Course, for me repetition may be shown as a light issue, but given the popular music format of the 80s I'm sure that can be lifted.

Robbie himself was just as excited about all this - he even sent me a private message in person. I also need to quote something else from him:

i actually didn't use any FL presets at all... all my sounds were built in Rebirth or in FL- from the ground up:) i don't know if they actually sound like FL presets or not I don't use the presets in FL... but a lot of the synths i worked on were from Rebirth:)

Does that answer any FL haters' questions? :P

I think that this stuff is amused without the robot voices. However, I appreciate the power in your work. The beats are in good quality. The hits are amused. The arrangement is pleasant, but the guitar, although hidden, is perceived. Bad guitar sample, fix it.

The errors are small details. Keep it up!

Almost - [96/100]

Yep. I listened this mix on VGMix too. Someone deleted my stupid "review".

On a side note, was kinda surprised none of the judges mentioned the (kinda bad) use of FL Slayer.

Yeah, the guitar is pretty bad (yuk, FL Slayer!). Also, the robot voices are very awful. :(

But it is still awesome.

eh, this remix is nothing special. annoying robotish voice accomplishes nothing except add a load of creamed corn to the mix. perhaps the only reason people like it is because it's a castlevania remix with some nostalgic worth. I bet if this was a remix of say, a nine inch nails crapwork, no one would pay it any attention. Not to diss this remixers skittles or anything, I mean, he obviously can remix. But I just didn't feel this mix. It was as if I was in a bountiful forest where the trees are made of cotton candy, and it looks as if the foliage will be delicious. Yet once you pick the cotton candy and plop it into your mouth, it quickly melts away and leaves you with nothing. Perhaps this mix has just made a bunch of carny's richer, and us listeners slightly poorer.

I can't stand those darn robo-voices... however, it doesn't detract too much from the remix. That's really my only complaint.

92/100; pretty damn good

I can honestly say that I listened to this remix for well over an hour straight after downloading it

PS- to whoever mentioned it before: you're so frick'n right... we need more 80s mixes

we need more 80s mixes

we need more 80s mixes

we need more 80s mixes

we need more 80s mixes

we need more 80s mixes

• 2 weeks later...

To convert the very subbtle harmonies of this original tune in a disco remix was very daring. At the first listenning, I didn't really like it because I felt the music was too rich for this genre wich emphazises more on the rythms than on the melody. But, after I started to like it. It add a little more strenght that the original laked. And the few extrapolations, for example in the intro, are very good , they fit with the original and they stand by themselves too.

I must add, that in my opinion, the original theme is one of the best ever composed for video game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw this listed under SotN, and I had to hear it, mainly because I wasn't familiar with anything remotely named as such from the in-game OST. The robot-voice, synth drums, orch hits, and such in the first 30" was an excellent method of hyping this piece up. The next 29" really began to set the mood. It was at 59" that I fell in love with piece. The entrance music for SotN is my favorite game music in all of the Castlevania series, closely followed by that of the Catacombs in CotM. This remix definately does justice to the original. I could listen to it all day if I had to.

7/7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So i was thinking, "how cool would it be to make an electronica remix of Dracula's castle from SotN." i kept thinking of how it might go, then i found this, which put any previous ideas i had to bed. this remix rocks. well done 8/10

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My favorite track from possibly one of the best OSTs ever, this is pretty great stuff. I hate the vocal samples, but the rest is so strong, i can't help but love it. The style is so different, and there are a lot of rhythmic changes, but what really was great about the source remains intact, and is well showcased. Some really cute homages to some well known 80's songs as well. :-)

If the vocal samples were gone, i'd say it was perfect, but I can see how they lend charm and authenticity to the whole mix. Even with them, it's great, and a whole lot of fun. Nice work. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01334 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "The Devil Inside (Italo Disco Mix)"