Metroid - Item Room

Hm... I dunno. It seems kinda... boring. But it's not like you had much to work with, the original is pretty boring, too (being so background and all). I really don't know what to say. Maybe consider adding another song into this ReMix? Another melody into the mix would really do a lot to make it more interesting.

Ya, there's my two cents.

Yeah, dissonant. This sounds _really_ newby with chords that don't agree with the melody, much like the stuff I used to do way back. :P

It's good to work with minimal sources, they kind'a have to be arranged in a new way to make sense as a standalone track... but in this case I think the source is wrong for you at your current skill level. Red Brinstar or something would probably be easier to work with.

The samples are really exposed, practice using reverb and EQ (and other effects where appropriate) to give it a more refined sound. Hope this helps. :)

• 1 month later...
Here is the updated song: http://www.box.net/shared/qy11p1u7fgxybklyc9mf.

I've reworked the chords to better suit the melody and replaced the string harmony with a choir, but the arrangement is largely the same. What are your thoughts? Please keep in mind that this piece is meant to be an orchestral cover, not a remix.

Well if it's a "cover" than it shouldn't be for OCR in the first place. Especially since the source is so minimal - a cover doesn't add anything new by design and that won't fly at all for OCR.

Aside from that, your chords still seem in different keys. I have a hard time giving advice in that department since I do things by ear, but it's still evident.

Perhaps "cover" is the wrong term; it's an orchestral arrangement of the source, but it isn't a remix. If you're familiar with Zelda Reorchestrated's music, that's the style I'm going for.

This piece isn't intended for submission to OCReMix, at least not right now. It's part of a project I'm working on, Metroid Reorchestrated. I'm just looking to get feedback; thank you to those who have replied so far.