OCR01336 - Secret of Mana "NightTime Evolution"

djpretzel

This is GORGEOUS!!! ^_^ I love it!! The piano work is great and the little wind down around 1:39 is a nice touch. I also like the little trick with the beat at 1:50 as well!

The acoustic guitar is so soothing...:D

You've done great work here!!! I feel like I could just go jump into a game and wander around in a forest or something, heh! :wink:

• 3 months later...

I have had this remix in my collection some time now, and have also listened to it many times. It's only natural that you grow tired of a song if you listen to much to it, but when I'm listening to it now, I realize how good it really is. The guitar is well played, same goes for the piano(or was that a sample? :? ). Anyways, it still makes me impressed, I think I'm ready to listen to this beautiful arrangement once again.

Good stuff Harmony.

• 1 year later...

At first listen, I felt that the song was, while charmingly magical, a bit unsubstantial, having exciting layering at the beginning only to end on a more quiet note. However, now that I listen to it again, I'm quite satisfied with the beauty of how it ends, and I don't feel that it's too repetitive as I used to. It's an enchanting remix, and I applaud your work.

• 4 months later...

Hmm, suprisingly, I haven't commented on this one yet.

This is a great showcase of Harmony's amazing flow. I love the percussion in this piece and how it livens up the very mellow melody.

Whatever you call the echoes (reverb?) create an excellent ambiance for this piece.

Hmm, surprisingly, I haven't thanked everyone yet...what kind of jerk am I !?

Hoping that it's never too late, I'd like to throw a hearty Thank You out there to everyone who's taken the time to comment on or listen to NightTime Evolution. Hopefully you all will continue to enjoy for a long time to come :)

Shit, I never commented on this!

One of my favorite memories of my VG Frequency radio show was actually not on the show, but getting dropped off by The Lady at WMRE one night and playing this song for her while we drove down. The fact that it was nighttime wasn't any sort of cosmic coincidence, but that was welcome too. Paige enjoyed it, one of the few tracks around OCR that she outright was feeling as she learned more directly about my hobby in VGM. This was one of the first tracks that really illustrated to her how something seemingly inaccessible like VGM could be interpreted and made to speak to others who weren't fans in the first place. Brandon debut mix always has a special place in my history here, as I had no idea who he was, and wouldn't truly realize just what kind of talent OCR had landed until his follow-up mix, "Live at the Springyard." Excellent stuff.

• 7 months later...

This is Brandon's first ReMix? Definately a good start. I can hear his style throughout. Very slick, and a great choice of instruments. Percussion fits very well, I like the dryness of them, as well as the variation Harmony adds to keep them fresh. Guitar work is smooth, very nice.

I never noticed the ending until I read the write up and reviews. I agree now that it is a bit ubrupt and the cello doesn't end all to well, but overall it doesn't detract from the mix as a whole. Great job.

• 1 year later...

There's great layered percussion texture here, combined with the organic acoustic guitar and the bells and subtle synths, it make sfor a really good listen. I love how the Secret of Mana music all tends to sound sortof mysterious, and this envisioning of the source track certainly fits that mood, with some really sophisticated patterns, and interesting melodic phrasing throughout. Really solid soundscape on this one, and for a first sub, it shows a ton of polish. Awesome work, Harmony; this is an incredibly good mix.

Wow, I didn't know this was his debut mix. Even here you can see strokes of sheer talent and brilliance in the layered musical elements, and frankly it's kind of nice to have at least one instrumental Harmony mix for study music, since his stuff is always mellow enough for the task but I find myself too distracted by the wonderful vocals to get any real work done :-P

This is one helluva great start, but even that excellence is out-shined when compared to some of the gems that Harmony would throw our way later :-) In short, this man can do no wrong :-P

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01336 - Secret of Mana "NightTime Evolution"