No'ed: Mighty Final Fight / Mega Man 2 (Dr.Willy) / Captain Tsubasa 2 / Tecmo Cup

DjMystix

okay here I am again mixing ridiculous amount of sources together. Usually, it takes me a couple of hours to come up with a concept but this one took a whole day. I'd like to know if you guys like it before I continue in this direction. Does it sound good?

It's basically a blend of Rock and Chillout. Starts with Captain Tsubasa and then currently at Mighty Final fight. I will be using AkumajoBelmont's "For You" in place of Dr.Willy since I now have his go ahead :D

Concept:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/MFF_WIP1.mp3

WIP2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%2...P/MFF_WIP2.mp3

Finished:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/MightyFinalFight_AllOrNothing.mp3

YouTube: (Helps a lot if you want to know which part of the mix belongs to what source)

Sources:

(00:00 - 00:40) Captain Tsubasa 2 - RioCap Enemy Theme

(00:41 - 01:57) Mighty Final Fight - Round 2:

(01:58 - 02:27) Captain Tsubasa 2 - TOHO Team:

(02:28 - 02:57) Tecmo Cup (Dream Team's Theme):

(2:58 onwards) AkumajoBelmont's "For You":

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02121/ (Source:

)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the awesome comments :) I finally got the chance today to sit down and finish this track. The ending (For You) is NOT DONE (very rough) and I also need to add some supporting instruments here and there but it's almost done now.

AkumajoBelmont:

Don't worry, I'll fix the ending and make "for you" sound much better. I just wanted to finish the writing first (and need some sleep now :D)

WIP2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/MFF_WIP2.mp3

At this point, I can definitely use some feedback that can help me apply final polish and finish this track. All feedback/suggestions are much appreciated :D

Thanks Robbie! Your opinion is very important here because of "For You"'s involvement.

I'm done with this mix now, I've re-recorded some leads, added some arpeggio elements on some less busy parts, re-wrote the ending. Fixed all issues that I could find myself. :D

It's mainly Mighty Final Fight - Riverside (Round 2) remix but as usual, I couldn't stop myself from blending other sources in. The idea was to combine Chillout and Rock styles while retaining the chiptunish soul of the sources. I hope you like the remix, the transitions and overall sound :D

Remix: "All Or Nothing":

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/MightyFinalFight_AllOrNothing.mp3

YouTube: (Helps a lot if you want to know which part of the mix belongs to what source)

EDIT:

Slight update to fix some velocity & mixing issues. Also removed the closing drums as pointed out by DC_Desperado. I too think it didn't sound right.

Sources:

(00:00 - 00:40) Captain Tsubasa 2 - RioCap Enemy Theme

(00:41 - 01:57) Mighty Final Fight - Round 2:

(01:58 - 02:27) Captain Tsubasa 2 - TOHO Team:

(02:28 - 02:57) Tecmo Cup (Dream Team's Theme):

(2:58 onwards) AkumajoBelmont's "For You":

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02121/ (Source:

)

Thanks everyone!

It's very much in the same boat as your other songs: some average-quality samples coupled with some really nice production and a stellar arrangement to make something that totally clicks. :-D

I'd like to know which samples you found weak so maybe I could do something about them :) The leads are intentionally chiptunish because I thought using any other instrument will take away the soul of the song.

In this case, it's mainly just the guitars - it's not really anything you're doing wrong, per-se, but they just don't sound completely legit either. They're definitely passable thanks to your great sequencing, but it's apparent that it's a sampled guitar in the end. Short of picking up guitar and learning it for yourself, I don't think there's much you can do, I wouldn't sweat it too much. You're working fantastically with the sounds you've got at your disposal.

Your synth choices sound fine to me, by the way :-)

In this case, it's mainly just the guitars - it's not really anything you're doing wrong, per-se, but they just don't sound completely legit either. They're definitely passable thanks to your great sequencing, but it's apparent that it's a sampled guitar in the end. Short of picking up guitar and learning it for yourself, I don't think there's much you can do, I wouldn't sweat it too much. You're working fantastically with the sounds you've got at your disposal.

Your synth choices sound fine to me, by the way :-)

I'll add to this.

It's true that the guitars do sound sample based, but I'm really fond of the tone and vibe they give off... I don't listen to this and wish they were real guitars, so yah.

Also, the only nitpick I have is the piano in the end... it sounds a little mechanical. What I would do is use the synth that you had in WIP 2 to play the Mega Man source melody, and maybe use the piano as a harmony line in the background.

But if you didn't change a thing, I'd still love this :D

It's true that the guitars do sound sample based, but I'm really fond of the tone and vibe they give off... I don't listen to this and wish they were real guitars, so yah.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to convey; your samples aren't the best in the world but you use them in a way that makes them enjoyable and appropriate. So yeah :-)

In any case, much love goes out to both of you for the encouragement. :)

Also, the only nitpick I have is the piano in the end... it sounds a little mechanical. What I would do is use the synth that you had in WIP 2 to play the Mega Man source melody, and maybe use the piano as a harmony line in the background.

So I did a quick replacement of the leads and supporting instruments at the end. Please take a listen and let me know if this sounds better than previous one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/MightyFinalFight_AllOrNothingALT.mp3

EDIT:

After listening to both of them multiple times, I personally still prefer the ending with piano lead instead of synth (even though I agree that it sounds mechanical). In the second one, the synth lead is used excessively. But maybe I'm too used to listen to the first version so I'll let you guys be better judges to take final votes. I actually wanted to end the song the same way it started, easy and softly but then changed my mind. I wish I could make an ending even half as good as "For You"'s. (Your Haa choir made that song 100 times better)

In any case, much love goes out to both of you for the encouragement. :)

So I did a quick replacement of the leads and supporting instruments at the end. Please take a listen and let me know if this sounds better than previous one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/MightyFinalFight_AllOrNothingALT.mp3

EDIT:

After listening to both of them multiple times, I personally still prefer the ending with piano lead instead of synth (even though I agree that it sounds mechanical). In the second one, the synth lead is used excessively. But maybe I'm too used to listen to the first version so I'll let you guys be better judges to take final votes. I actually wanted to end the song the same way it started, easy and softly but then changed my mind. I wish I could make an ending even half as good as "For You"'s. (Your Haa choir made that song 100 times better)

I'm going with the synth at the end... it gives the track some oomph for the lead out. But, man, do what you think is best. It is your mix after all. And if there's one thing that kinda bugs me about this community on the odd occasion is that people tend to want Mixers to alter their tracks to suit their personal tastes, regardless of whether it's right for the track or not.

Do what your heart tells you man.

This is still sublime. Your mixing is stunning... each and every track you do sparkles. Amazing stuff :D

I prefer the piano ending too, but the synth one does sound less mechanical. I notice that you left out the octave harmony on the lead with synth version (for obvious reasons)

Have you tried the ending using the harmonisation only on some of the phrases with the piano? Thats often easier to humanise and more accurate as a piano piece melody won't just stick to bare octave harmonies (generally). I realise that you use the octave harmony to give the piano some more cut through the mix. I don't think its particularly your sequencing that makes it sound mechanical, more the samples and how the melody is played. Perhaps try have the harmies altering slightly in rhythm, I only had 5 mins to get this together, but i think it gets my point across :)

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=1335

Another thing would be to try the synth with piano harmonies (though I just notcied Akumajo said this :tomatoface:). If you mix them together you can get the percussiveness of the piano (which is where i think the emotion comes from). The synthesizer can just take away from the mechanical feel.

Just thought I'd add that if you still fancied preserving the piano ending :)

Edit: I'd like to second what Akumajo just said, if you prefer the piano, go with it!

After taking all the suggestions below, I tried several iteration with ending piano lead (arpeggio, harmony, etc) but didn't like any of those.

I think the only way to fix the issue is to replace the piano with a different synth which I have just done. I think this sounds much better than piano or using the same synth as the part before. Please have one more listen before we decide which one to hand over to the panel:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/MightyFinalFight_AllOrNothing3.mp3

(Many thanks to all of you for helping me out:))

Dude , I love it. Really good call on the pipe-like synth, the harmony of 3rds are a cherry on top. The strings really add to it.

You've managed to improve that ending section and it didn't even need it. Its more emotive than the piano version I think!

Thanks! that's it then, I'm like 99.99% sure Robbie and Emunator will like this version as well. Let's lock down this one and move on now. I can't thank enough to all of you for helping out in getting this thing improved. Now let's hope this gets through the panel.

The absolute final version:

New Youtube video (once again, helps if you want to know which part of the mix is from what source):

After taking all the suggestions below, I tried several iteration with ending piano lead (arpeggio, harmony, etc) but didn't like any of those.

I think the only way to fix the issue is to replace the piano with a different synth which I have just done. I think this sounds much better than piano or using the same synth as the part before. Please have one more listen before we decide which one to hand over to the panel:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/MightyFinalFight_AllOrNothing3.mp3

(Many thanks to all of you for helping me out:))

Yes. I really like the square lead man. This is DONE! Send it to the panel NOW :D :D :D

• 6 months later...

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36336

I've seen my fair share of No's all these years and always happily accepted the doomed fate of my submissions.

For once, I just don't agree with the judges on this. I know it doesn't make any difference and I'm not complaining, not mad or angry.........just, not in agreement :)

Hmm... well, to their credit, they really weren't in agreement, either. You presented a case that is damn close to the border, here, so I don't think it could've been predicted either way. I'd need to get familiar with the sources, myself, but if what is claimed is true about the slideshow effect then I'd say there is some validity to their claims.

It looks like it was a tough choice for them, though - some of em' might even agree with your sentiments. Sorry your track didn't pass.

I agree with your disagreement hehe I'm still rockin' this one on my playlists. The source selection is fantastic. I went out of my way to find Might Final Fight and play it just because of your arrangement :)

:). Love you for that. Thanks!

I'd need to get familiar with the sources, myself, but if what is claimed is true about the slideshow effect then I'd say there is some validity to their claims.

Then you, my friend, is the best judge of it because that was the whole point. It should NOT feel like a slideshow if you are not familiar with the sources. If you are, then you should be able to identify overlapping of the sources (both Captain Tsubasa sources are overlapped and Mega Man one is overlapped by piano from intro).

What "surprised" me was the fact that most of them overlooked everything else that were "yes" in the mix (IMHO). I don't even know what to do with this other than getting rid of half of the song and call it a Mighty Final Fight remix. I don't think this mix needs that so this will never see the light of day on OCR :)

Oh well. better luck next mix I guess!