Original orchestral battle theme (console RPG-style)

docnano

Here's an original Uematsu- and Mitsuda-esque battle theme I composed with EWQLSO silver:

Any feedback is appreciated!

Hey Doc,

Sounds good, great use of EWQLSO Silver.

What I would like to see is more instrumental diversity earlier on. You have this A section withe horns and trumpets together, then you move on to the Trumpets in the B section, the C section also features the Trumpets, then you have a Bridge sort of section with the T-bones and Trumpets, and then finally, you have the strings come in at the end of that bridge/D section. It is so relieving when I finally hear the strings in a lead, I can not tell you. You want to keep your textures diverse and colorful because I'm literally tired of hearing that trumpet.

Don't let me hear an instrument lead a section more than twice in a row, I think if you do that, you'll find your orchestrations are more refreshing and interesting to listen to on a loop.

Hey Doc,

Sounds good, great use of EWQLSO Silver.

What I would like to see is more instrumental diversity earlier on. You have this A section withe horns and trumpets together, then you move on to the Trumpets in the B section, the C section also features the Trumpets, then you have a Bridge sort of section with the T-bones and Trumpets, and then finally, you have the strings come in at the end of that bridge/D section. It is so relieving when I finally hear the strings in a lead, I can not tell you. You want to keep your textures diverse and colorful because I'm literally tired of hearing that trumpet.

Don't let me hear an instrument lead a section more than twice in a row, I think if you do that, you'll find your orchestrations are more refreshing and interesting to listen to on a loop.

Thanks for the feedback, Dan. I used the trumpets/horns a lot because I'm in love with how they sound in EWQLSO (soooo much better than any synth sound I'd had up till recently), and I wanted a lot of power. But probably it wouldn't have less impact if I had the woodwinds/strings take over the melody in the B section, and that would solve some of the diversity issues.

The horns sort of dominate in the A section, and the Trumpets in the B section, I would say that's fine, but bring them to the back in the C section.

Celli make a very nice sub/double for Horns, clarinets for the trumpets.

If you want to chat more, pm me your AIM or MSN.

Celli make a very nice sub/double for Horns, clarinets for the trumpets.

Glad to hear you say that; I've got celli doubling the horns at times, and clarinets doubling the trumpets throughout much of the piece. :-) But I could probably bring them both out more at times to change up the sound, or replace.

Regarding section C, I really would hate to push those heroic trumpet fanfares too much in the background, even if they are merely silly little arpeggios. But maybe that's just due to my current brass fetish.

I'm not talking about the mix or balance, I'm talking about replacing one instrument group for another.

Oh, ok, I thought by "doubling" you meant playing the same part simultaneously in two instrument groups.

Loving the battle theme. Feels like it has a bit of Final Fantasy in it. Could see myself enjoying listening to this while battling in a RPG. Great work!

Thanks, glad you like it! After getting some pointers here I might continue with other fictional RPG tracks such as a town theme, world map, emotional themes, etc.