OCR01338 - Mega Man Zero 2 "Cool Mind"

djpretzel

Wow, this is really cool. It's pretty damn catchy and there's a lot going on without making it sound noisy or busy. My only gripe about it is that the ending was kind of abrupt and disappointing.

I wanted a beeping/organ frenzy, but hey, you can't always get what you want. Still, it's some pretty smooth stuff.

I just now downloaded this song onto my flash drive while at school and started listening to it... wow, I must say this is definitely something. I love clean techno such as this, simple instruments, not really all that cluttered in variation of instruments (well, overly so at least), too many techno songs out there try and throw every single little synth trick they have into a song. Such as slowdown and intentional ugly distortion, that can work sometimes.. but this formula for this song is simply stupendous, not to mention the end result. My God...

I remember the last MMZ2 song was outstanding in it's own right, but I didn't really pick up the original melody instantly like I did with this one, it's very amazing that all these hi-tech little beeps could flow together without any true glue, and still work flawlessly.

This is going on my next VGMCD for sure, outstanding job Dragonlord, I salute you.

Okay, seriously, this stuff is funky dope. I loved the way you turned this song (which seemed kinda drab when I played the game), into one heck of a remix. I can't really put my finger on what exactly was good about it; it rocks in every way. Congratulations on a job well done.

you know, it's been a long time since i actually sat down and wrote a review. but i felt this song truly deserved one because of the POTENTIAL for greatness.

let me start by saying that the arrangement here is awesome. one would expect a decent arrangement from one of OCR's esteemed judges, but the work here stands above and beyond. the pad used in the beginning is quite beautiful, and creates a nice light suspenseful feeling. some nice subdued piano with delay adds greatly as well. in fact, everything seems very well placed. the percussion seems far too subdued however. i keep waiting for the percussion to start kicking ass and it never does. also, the dropout at 0:55 and the repetition of the motif at 1:14 were unnecessary and seemed like they were there only to add to the final length. the percussion starting at 1:07 was FAR too quiet, and seemed to just be there as minimal filler. you should have raised the volume. and if you had it so low so as not to detract from the orchestration/arrangement, then you should have used some other method to keep focus away from it, or done away with it entirely. for some strange reason my brain does not like having the drums so low in the mix. it's like WHY FOR PERCUSSION SO QUIET. and on that note, the overall volume of this mix is way too low. and there needed to be much more low to mid-range on the EQ as well. i can't hear any bass at all. at 2:04 we get another drop out, followed by a change in exposition. here things start to pick up the pace a bit. but yet again, the percussion is lacking severely. however, the usage of the choir here is very adept, and accents the progression nicely. some synth stabs are used in here as well to decent effect. at 3:11 there is again yet another dropout. at 3:35 we return to the main theme once again. at 3:58 an attempt at spicing up the percussion is made, which only lasts 8 measures, is contrived, too quiet, and muddled in the EQ. it drops back into the subdued percussion once again until 4:45 where the song sets into conclusion mode and heads on out to the end. i must add that the ending here is well conceived.

so overall.. i would say though the arrangement and instrumentation here is CHOICE, the song is about 2 minutes too long, and is lacking in both the percussion and mixing departments.

I'm proud to say that I've actually met Dragonlord in person, and he is about as cool as his funky style is. Been hearing his mixes a good while before I heard this, and man, what a funky style he has got. And this of course, is no exeption. Funky, funky, funky to the core.

• 7 months later...

Those three minutes just flies by. This is one chill remix!

It began well, the organ reminded me of the sound my freezer gives away when you opens it, so the sound is cool alright. When it picks up the synths its coolfactor ascends to new heights, and the organ playing its groovy melody in the back is just excellent. It takes a break at 1:30, but is back in the flow when the music proceeds further. He may be the lord of the Dragons, but with this remix he might as well be the lord of the dancefloor.

I'm proud to say that I've actually met Dragonlord in person' date=' and he is about as cool as his funky style is.[/quote']

He lives in Norway? Good to see that many Scandinavians are getting some attention at this site. Funky remix dragonlord, and an enjoyable listen for me. Thanks dude.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great rhythmic organ chord comping here, super solid backing for the dual synth leads. The beats take a bit of a backseat overall, and the panned bass seems like a strange choice, but overall the mix was pretty great. Transitions were solid, there was good variation, and the source is cool enough to deserve this kind of attention. I like it. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A chilling reminder that a great mix can come from anywhere and sound like anything. This breakbeating, mouthslappin' song brings to mind the "Chill" genre of techno, that relaxes and grooves you at the same time. The song flys by before I know it, and that's not a bad thing. Great Mix.

• 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01338 - Mega Man Zero 2 "Cool Mind"