OCR02261 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Overnight Cloverleaf"

Always had been a fan of Jose's work so seeing him take interest in this song had me excited from day one. You gotta love this, it gets the mood of NiGHTS so spot on it's hard to picture this song for any other game other than NiGHTS.

I remember when i first heard it, i was totally caught off guard by the NiGHTS flute jingle at the end of the tune. I had to rewind it. It was the perfect homage to the character in an already great song. That jingle is NiGHTS' trademark. To have this album with that jingle present somewhere was like the cherry on top of the ice cream cake. Just brilliant.

• 4 months later...

Another strong track I remember from the NiGHTS project launch. It manages to fit so well with Jose's more laid-back style that I've come to see of him lately, especially in regards to the instrument choices (namely a lot of key-based instruments) and varied drumwork going on here. It plays so strongly with each of the different components of the source (even the rhodes solo at around 2:40), and even manages to find room for cameos along the way (the NiGHTS main theme and the appearance jingle at the end, most notably).

It's hard to find much to fault here; if anything I'm not so sure about the accompaniment writing during the rhodes solo as it doesn't seem to match melodically with the rest of the writing, but that can probably only be seen as a nitpick in regards to the structure.

Overall I dig the atmosphere work going on here, and while I do miss the Bronx Rican rhymes from time to time, a nice expressive instrumental work can be just as sweet to hear. I'm all set for more, Jose :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this ended up being one of my favorite remixes from the NiGHTS Lucid Dreaming album. It's ability to relax you is one of the best things about this track, everything fits together so perfectly. The intro is especially good in my opinion. It's quiet piano with background sfx are beautiful. I would love to hear a more atmospheric version of this, based on the intro.

great textures on this, and DAT CLAV is excellent, and the small nights motifs sprinkled about make this more of a super classy backing track for anything I care to do rather than something i'm actively rocking out to. There is so much going on, but it's so well spaced and layered that you can focus on something new with each listen, and the care put into each part makes each listen equally rewarding.

Really intelligent and nuanced work here, Jose, well done! I love it!

Well this is a surprise, a nice jazzy uptempo song by Jose. It has a mystique to it that the synths lends, as well as the keys. I like this feel that is kept throughout the song by various devices and kept fresh. The flow is accomplished almost effortlessly, giving a smooth glide through the song.

Solid & unexpectedly good stuff from Jose!

NiGHTS has quickly become one of my favorite albums on OCR, thanks to songs like this one. I'm impressed by Jose's versatility and the way this jazzy little ReMix continues that "flying through the air" feeling that a lot of NiGHTS tracks have. Love the piano and I liked the little jingle at the end. So smooth and while not overly upbeat, it's got a cool mix of energy and soft chilling music. Great job on this one here.

Funny thing, this mix. When I started the project, I knew José was a fan of the soundtracks, I just didn't know what he'd do if he'd pick up a track. At first I thought he might do some of his fantastical hip-hop somewhere on the album, but then he picked Gloom of the N.H.C. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better arrangement.

Being frank, this perfectly treads the line between being faithful to the source while also being completely original. There is so much attention to detail here that there's indeed something new to hear on every listen. Fantastic Clav, as Andrew pointed out. Just...gah, everything is so so so good. The NiGHTS motif is included in ways that logically fit, and the ending cameo of Ideya Palace is charming.

In short, this is a masterpiece. It is hard to imagine this being topped.

• 2 weeks later...

Opening with that piercing Piano sound is just a balls out way of making you pay attention.

It's great. You instantly get pulled into this world of pure delight.

The kit sounds lively and almost Jazzy. The synths are very fun and "playful".

The Harp and Piano are contrasting of this with a very Jazzy mature approach to the melody.

All in all, this mix represents the feeling of NiGHTS with an unexpected contrast of playful youth and jazzy maturity.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02261 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Overnight Cloverleaf"