Vine Valley - Donkey Kong Country Returns

remix: http://soundcloud.com/chimpazilla/vine-valley-ed4

source:

(song begins at 0:30)

Hello!

I'll start by admitting the obvious, I am new to remixing. I've only had FL Studio for 3 months. I've been studying, reading (two books on production/mixing), watching tutorials, and lots of practicing with FL.

I set out to copy the song, to use for practice in every aspect of FL Studio. I added some unique elements including a nice drum beat, pad, and extra melodic elements. Please don't bust me for originality, it is still basically a copy! Also I realize it is repetitive. What I would like is a critique based on what I've done so far:

Mixing:

- PEQ2 every instrument separately and gently.

- Mild compression on kicks, snares, and bass.

- Varied velocities for humanization.

- Panned some instruments left, some right, some in the middle.

- Added bass "drop" using slide notes.

- Used stereo enhancer on background groove.

- Used volume automation on background melody, and on strings to create swells.

- Used effects sparingly (one instance of reverb, one instance of flanger).

- One instance of cross-panning using a duplicated portion of melody.

- Carefully positioned volume of each instrument in mixer.

- Main volume fade at the end.

Mastering:

- PEQ2 very gentle curve.

- Fruity Limiter set very gently.

- Created WAV version, normalized in Edison, copied to MP3.

- Listened to MP3 on several different systems including car stereo. Studio monitors are Mackie 5's. (husband has Rokit 8's, I'm stealing those next!)

I really want to get good at remixing. Any helpful advice is appreciated! Is anything missing? Should anything be removed? Does anything sound muddy or tinny? Is anything conflicting? Does it suck? Or does it make you feel like dancing in the jungle?

Thanks in advance!

Okay, where to start ........

I heard no bass ?

The volume levels of the instruments aren't quite right. I would lower the shaker volume, remove it's presence a little bit.

Those arpeggio playing synths would be moved to the background (lower volume, more reverb).

Seperate the two main leads in the stereo field on a little bit right of the center, the other one left of center. Eq the first on in the mid region so that it doesn't sound that muddy. Eq the second one, so that the attack doesn't stand out that much.

Compress the two snares so that they punch and get away the cardboard feel. I would put the more in the center region. Kick and bongos -> the same.

Overall I would try to work with delays as a send effect (tap delay or ping pong delay) especially for getting the stiff drum section alive. (hard to explain for me because I use Cubase and don't have the right vocabulary for fruity) Think of it as a CLAP becoming a ->> CLAP > CLap > Clapppp > clapp by appearing on the left and right side of the speakers.

And put all instruments on one "stage" by creating a main reverb send and give every instrument it's place to "stand" --> the more reverb the more it's moving to the background.

----------------------

We all started somewhere. It isn't that bad - it isn't that good. Try to get it movin, not by stacking one sound up on the other, be playful with all the different meldoy making elements. Start painting the jungle :-D

Hello anterroir, thank you for your review! Your comments are wonderful.

Bass is there... it coincides with the kick/tom combo so doesn't really stand out on it's own... more of an accent than a unique element. Not sure if there's a better way to write the bassline for this song, or bring it out without overpowering the low end. I have the bass pretty low in volume, any louder than half and it sounded very muddy. :?

The two main leads are separated right and left but not much (1 o'clock and 11 o'clock). I will move them more. Will eq as suggested.

Snares are compressed... will compress more, and center more.

Will lower the shaker.

I haven't worked with send effects yet, that will be my next "lesson." (this song was intended to be a study guide for me full of lessons!) Will try to add some delays to the drums. Will work with reverb staging.

I know it's not the world's most exciting song... it's a practice song for me. Trying to get my "sea-legs" with my daw. Thanks for taking the time to review my song, I appreciate it! :-D

Well i don't know a lot about mixing but i had an idea with the shaker.

I was thinking along with bringing down the volume, as anterroir suggested, it could maybe fade in and out of the song. to me that sounds like a good idea maybe you could see what that would sound like.

i wish i could be more help because this sounds great.

Hello again!

http://soundcloud.com/chimpazilla/vine-valley-ed9

I've made the changes suggested and I think it is sounding pretty good! I brought the bass up a bit and compressed a bit more, can you hear it now? (is it too bottom-heavy now?)

I compressed the kick, toms, and snares a bit more and centered them more. I added a tiny (I mean tiny) amount of delay to both snares. (I did it separately as I'm not up on my send effects yet.) Not sure it I like it better... what do you think?

I lowered the shaker. I lowered the two arpeggios and added a bit more stereo separation on the one that doesn't change volume. I eq'd the two leads, that was a very good suggestion. I think I took the mud out of the one, and hopefully made the attack of the other one a bit more tolerable.

Is the drum pattern pleasing? Any suggestions for improving it?

It's better but you`re still not there.

The bass is audible now. Compressed snares sound a little better, but are too loud now, also the pffffff sound is too shreek. Still a level thing.

Be more calm with them, like at 2:30 -> I really like that transistion but when the snares come in it just makes boom, paff (like an old batman comic) with no more interaction of the bass and other elements. Still room for more :)

--------

To show the delay thing I just made an mp3 -> first without then with (it's a little bit "overdone" to hear the difference but mixed subtle really moving mixes forward)- also with a bass idea

http://www.anterroir.com/test/chimpazilla.mp3

Oooooo more help, wow, thanks soooo much! I'm so glad you wrote again Anterroir because I really still don't like the snares! Thanks for making an mp3 for me, gonna give it a serious listen and try to make the changes. Will do it tomorrow, busy today and will be interrupted. I do need practice developing my "listening ear." I just love the Batman reference, yeah that's accurate! If I can get this fixed, using your advice, I am going to be so very grateful (I'm already grateful). Gonna try putting the delay on a send effect (watched some tuts yesterday). Also will check out your site as well, tomorrow without interruptions. Thanks again so very much for taking time to help me!!! :grin: I hope you won't mind giving my song one or two more reviews here shortly! I'm very grateful indeed.