Great Accomplishments in Gaming: get your brag on

ectogemia

I purged my gaming soul! That counts as an accomplishment.

I just play mobile games now and Civ 5 with my brother every 2 weeks.

I'm actually in much the same boat now. Most of the games I play now are freemium mobile games where I can sink as much or as little money as I want into them, play at my own pace and they serve the purpose of simply passing time when I'm waiting for something. There are a bunch of games coming out that I think look amazing, but I doubt I'll actually buy them. I know people who definitely will buy them, so I'll probably at least get to play them.

For me, it's just an average of $70 - $75 per game, which will probably barely function at launch and most of the best content is DLC just isn't worth it anymore. Especially not when it's summer and I'd rather be out doing stuff, going to concerts and music festivals, going to the beach, traveling, mountain-climbing, reading the shit out of the Avatar comics, or going to the movies with friends - which only takes about an hour and half's time at most to experience the full story rather than spending countless hours in front of a TV to finally make it all the way through I dunno....The Witcher or something.

I know it seems like an off-topic rant, but "purging one's gaming soul" actually does feel like an accomplishment itself. It's like, when I was younger, I was an evangelist for the medium of video games. I couldn't understand how people saw games as "just for kids" and didn't see the narrative and artistic value that video games offered in a way film can't. Now that I'm older and aside from responsibility, have the freedom and money to do (within reason) whatever the hell I want, I totally get it. Out of just about everything I could be doing for fun, games barely make the list now unless it's playing with friends in the same room.