Thoughts on Transformers 3 WARNING!! Spoilers in open. If you haven't seen it, don't read thread.

BlackPanther

I can say without hesitation that the movie was visually awesome, but that doesn't do it for me. I was thrown off for one by the sound effects. Maybe it was the theater I was in, but I wasn't getting the full effect I couldn't get immersed into the film.

Also, the plot with the transformers using all of the human beings in the world to rebuild their huuuuge fucking planet? We'd all be burnt out building ONE of their buildings I really don't see how man power would benefit a civilization of robots who can transport whole planets from one galaxy to another lol.

Acting was pretty bad I thought. Shia's excessive screaming didn't do anything for the film except show that he knows how to make his face red.

Last of many other issues I had with the film: I'm all for women being able to openly show off their body and express their sexuality, but not in this way because I only see it as a way to make a buck off of drooling men AND women. It's not hard to see boobies on the internet for free. I believe that Rosie Huntington-Whiteley's example should only be used in film if it's important to the story which it wasnt.

Is there anyone else who thought this movie wasn't all that great or had similar thoughts? Did my post make any sense? If not please let me know so I can rewrite it or something lol. Also am I allowed to post what I just posted despite the thread title? Guess I'll find out

Anyone else's thoughts?

I thought the movie was awesome and seriously, if you're going for a Transformers movie expecting excellent acting and character development plus deep story with twists and turns, as they say, you're doing it wrong.

I watch Transformers only for the mind blowing visual effects and nothing more. I think Transformers 3's last hour is the most amazing 3D roller coaster ride I've experienced in a while. It seems Mr. Bay know he can't do intense drama/romance/comedy scenes so he relies totally on some silly jokes here and there, a little bit of romance, some eye candy scenes and FOCUS on blowing up stuff.

I don't understand when people say they loved Avatar but didn't like Transformers. Why? Because Avatar had an excellent story? (same story as Lion King 2) superb acting? absolutely not. It was those mind bending vfx.

I'd watch a movie like this any day and will not mind a T4 or a T5. For "intelligent" movies, we have people like Christopher Nolan to please us.

Anyway, those are my thoughts (and my shield is up) :D

I thought the movie was awesome and seriously, if you're going for a Transformers movie expecting excellent acting and character development plus deep story with twists and turns, as they say, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not expecting either good nor bad acting. What I want is notihng but giant robots blowing the shit out of eachother, but I keep getting scenes with Shia Lebouf and other humans.

It's more like Micheal Bay's Explosion Extravaganza with special guests The Transformers.

I'm not expecting either good nor bad acting. What I want is notihng but giant robots blowing the shit out of eachother, but I keep getting scenes with Shia Lebouf and other humans.

It's more like Micheal Bay's Explosion Extravaganza with special guests The Transformers.

okay you got me there. I agree there are so many "unwanted" scenes in the movie but the last hour makes up for it I guess.

I don't understand when people say they loved Avatar but didn't like Transformers. Why? Because Avatar had an excellent story? (same story as Lion King 2) superb acting? absolutely not. It was those mind bending vfx.

I didn't really care for Avatar either, but at least it wasn't offensive in almost every way, shape, or form. I understand the third one tones down the incredibly stupid and offensive jokes, but apparently they're still there in some form, which is one reason why I'm not going to go see it. I'm someone who was never really a Transformers fan but watched a bit during the Beast Wars era, so it would be perfectly fine to me to have jokes in Transformers (after all, Transformers in general is a pretty silly concept to begin with) if they aren't amazingly abhorrent. Oh, and if they are actually funny.

As for the humans: They should NEVER be the focus in Transformers, especially if your human characters aren't worth focusing on. I understand the inherent need to give us someone to relate to (though how anyone could relate to Shia LaBeef I'll never know,) but your main character doesn't have to be human for us to relate to them. It's really like the Transformers are nothing more than co-stars in their own movie series, which doesn't make any sense. I know it's expensive to render the insane CG (which would be impressive if I could tell any of the characters, especially the Decepticons, apart,) but how long are these movies? Two and a half hours or more? Cut it down to 90 minutes of giant robot fighting with some witty one-liners and badass visual effects that aren't filmed in shaky cam and you got yourself an awesome action movie spectacle. That's all we really want.

Transformers 3 was the best of the trilogy. But that's not saying much. To paraphrase the AVGN, that's like saying the shit I took today is the best shit I've taken in the last 3 days. As comparatively great as that is, it's still shit.

Here are the movie's various problems, which most people here and elsewhere have acknowledged:

--The humans, and especially the military, are secondary characters in the Transformers universe, but these movies have them take center stage

--The first half of the movie had way too much focus on Sam getting a job, which has literally nothing to do with anything in the movie

--The second half of the movie is nonstop action, but it has the Call of Duty problem of lacking juxtaposition. You can't have nonstop action for an hour. It's overwhelming and ends up being plain boring.

--The characters are stupid (like, actually mentally stupid)

--The scenes where the Autobots jump from out of nowhere and save something or someone were cool the first 2 times. Then the next 6 were repetitive.

--The special effects were cool, but don't lend to the story sufficiently

--The humor is embarrassingly immature. I don't want to come off sounding all high and mighty, but I honestly felt like the smartest person in the room when the rest of the theater was laughing at some of these juvenile jokes

--Skids and Mudflap were replaced by 2 equally annoying robots

--I think all of Megan Fox's lines were just handed to this new girl because it's pretty apparent that she and Sam weren't in a long enough relationship to have the lines make sense. They would have had Megan Fox been retained.

--This movie, along with its predecessors, commits the mortal sin of not understanding its source material. Yes, the source material was a 100 episode long toy commercial, but it had a plot, characterization, and made you care about the characters. This doesn't.

--Why does Sam yell more than half of his lines? Why?

I don't understand the argument that people just want to see shit blow up because it's entirely possible to have a cool movie where tons of shit blows up, but it supports a strong plot and characterization. If you're over 14, shit blowing up shouldn't be a strong enough justification to see, let alone approve of, a movie. The first third of the 1986 Transformers movie is better than the entire Michael Bay trilogy combined. That's not because of how cool the fight scene was. It's because there was a decent story behind the battle supporting it and because the robots took center stage. [Quick edit here: For purposes of clarification, I didn't grow up with Transformers. I only recently watched the series, and I saw the 1986 movie after seeing the first 2 Michael Bay films. Therefore, any criticism that I can't take off my nostalgia goggles when I look at the old movie is moot because I have absolutely no nostalgic attachment to the 1986 movie or the series, and thus I judged them objectively.]

Bottom line, if you want to see where Transformers should have been after all this time, War for Cybertron is pretty cheap used. Get that; it does infinitely more justice to the series than Bay's movies ever did.

My favourite transfomers movie is still the old animated transformers, where optimus prime properly died, yeah! That said, I watched all 3 of the new ones, not too hot for the first two, the 3rd I thought felt really good. Not much for story, more of a michael bay vfx funfest and the pacing was good.

I saw this movie on Saturday and really I enjoyed it.

While I will admit some of the characters lack development, at least they tone down the jokes in this movie.

Bottom line: I enjoyed all 3 movies from Michael Bay, regardless of what the critics will say/have said about them. And that's all I'm going to say about it.