OCR02263 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Dies, Nox et Omnia"

djpretzel

I still listen to this and wonder just how on Earth we actually ended up with such an epic version of D'Force Masters. I could have never imagined such a tune being the climatic point to this little OCR album that we have here.

But i remember hearing the WIP for the first time and thinking this was going to be a ground-breaker. You don't need to be in to opera or classical music to appreciate just how awesome this has turned out.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like this so much. The melody was all the much sameish, the instruments not really moving the piece forward so much as sounding pretty, but boring, and the voices don't really grip me either. The work just fell flat on me, and think this could have turned out better. More emotion, maybe.

ETA: And for someone who asked, the source:

http://www.tylatin.org/extras/cb16.html

I do love the Carmina Burana and opera, so I hope something like this gets attempted again. But this needed work, in my opinion.

ETA 2: To be slightly nitpicky, the topic and OCR page have Omnia mispelled. FYI =P

I loved this piece, and I'm ecstatic to see the challenging art of opera get some attention on OCR. The voices were stunning; the background was dynamic. My only real criticism is that the melody was really choppy throughout, and while that can be great for background boss music, it doesn't mesh very well with the operatic style. Wonderful execution, though.

I was enamored by this piece from the get-go. I enjoyed it thoroughly despite unfamiliarity with the source, and that's when I know I'm not just being biased and sentimental. Beautiful vocal work from both of you, chemistry and finesse in each line of text.

To Josh I have to give my highest congratulations, because this arrangement floored me. Careful and diverse orchestration, power and subtlety, it's all there in this mix. In my book this was a fantastic, successful realization of a great concept, and I tip my hat to you, Danielle and Ryan for a gorgeous work of art. I'll be giving it many listens. :)

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised this mix doesn't have more reviews - it's easily one of the best mixes to have come out this year so far (although Wild ARMS comes out in 5 days so perhaps there might be some serious competition there). I absolutely love operatic vocals, and they're used to good effect in this neoclassical blend of electronic & more traditional orchestration. The arrangement is done in a tasteful fashion that really shows off Josh's classical flair & understanding.

This is an absolutely gorgeous song and easily a crowning moment for the community! I don't think there is anything done by the community that is anything like this in scope & grandness so far.

• 10 months later...

I'll be honest, opera was never my cup of tea, but I have to admit that this is not a bad ReMix at all and I think I like this song more than the usual overblown opera songs. The intro was slow in build, but once it got the ball rolling, this was a great listen. The music was real cool in the way that it fit with the voices, especially around the climax, and for a song like this, all I can say is that I appreciate the skill and talent behind this piece.

• 1 year later...
And for someone who asked, the source:

http://www.tylatin.org/extras/cb16.html

I do love the Carmina Burana and opera, so I hope something like this gets attempted again. But this needed work, in my opinion.

To be precise, the source is the Goliard poetry from 800 years ago or so. But Orff does 'own' this, by which I mean he did a pretty definitive treatment and if you're going to use it otherwise you have a steep hill to climb.

The lyrics don't even seem to fit. Especially at 5:00 the guy's basically saying "The girls are making fun of me!" but the music is trying to make it epic... utter mismatch between music and words. This ain't 'Circa mea pectora'.

Also, it's mihi, not michi

Ego-mei-mihi-me-me. If you have some super-authentic 13th century French/German latin pronounciation guide, please show it to me so this will stop sounding all derped up.

The male soloist sounds strained, like he has inadequate breath support, or maybe it's a pop-ish style thing that bled over.

Aside from that, I like the music.

Edited by Drachefly

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02263 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Dies, Nox et Omnia"