Cubase users, please help!

I'm beginning a gradual change to Cubase 6 because of some of it's features, but I've encountered a few problems and/or miss some things good ol' Sonar has.

a) with Waves plugins, namely the C1, I'm unable to send another track to its sidechain.

b)in Sonar, if I double click a parameter, like the fader in the mixer, it returns to 0dB, or the pan, it returns to center. Is there anything like this in Cubase?

Thanks in advance

Hey,

Cubase's internal audio routing is a little different.

The first thing you want to realize is there is a track for EVERYTHING in cubase.

Almost to a ridiculous degree.

You know that saying "there's an app for that?" well in cubase, "there's a track for that" is probably what you'll find yourself saying more often than not.

However, Side-Chaining works a bit differently.

In the mixer, you will find the SIDE CHAIN button on the channel strip itself, this will enable side-chaining signals.

Unfortunately, I'm not in front of a cubase right now or I'd take a screenshot or something.

The only way so far, the only way that I've managed to get side-chaining to work in Cubase is to use the Cubase Compressor.

I'm feeling lazy, but this guide shows exactly how its done: http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/how-to-set-up-side-chain-compression-in-cubase-4/

It says, its for version 4, but its exactly the same in version 5 and I'm sure the same in version 6 (not used 6 yet).

I don't know how to do it using other plugins.....I think that's something I'll research tomorrow :)

According to this, Ctrl+Click to return to the default value. I haven't tried it myself and don't have my Steinberg key within reach to confirm, but I remember reading that somewhere previously too.

it does work, thanks!

EDIT:

more questions:

a) Can the markers be seen from within the Piano roll?

B) Can you select via the ruler (especially for copying a whole measure of midi sequence)? I'm aware there are other ways to achieve the same result, but that's one thing I used to do in sonar a lot.

c) I've heard you can use the waves plugins (which are 32 bit) with Cubase 64-bit, anyone have any luck with that? my waves plugins don't show up in 64 bit cubase.

d) can you monitor a track and listen to what's already recorded at the same time?

c) I've heard you can use the waves plugins (which are 32 bit) with Cubase 64-bit, anyone have any luck with that? my waves plugins don't show up in 64 bit cubase.

I know this one off the top of my head since I ran into the same problem. The only way I could find to get around it was to use jBridge. I've had the odd issue with jBridge and plugins, though not with the one Waves plugin I have so far (though I've hardly used it). Kind of annoying. Cubase has its own bridge built in, though I haven't heard good things about it in previous versions; I'm not sure if/how Cubase 6 improved on it. You could certainly try the built-in bridge before paying 15 EUR for jBridge.

d) can you monitor a track and listen to what's already recorded at the same time?

I don't think that's ever been the case, ever. We're talking functionality from hardware. What you CAN do is in the TRANSPORT window set up your cycle record properties.

You should be able to select parameters which will allow cubase to create a NEW track each time you record with CYCLE on--each pass it will create a new track. You can also have it create sub-lanes/tracks much like PLAYLIST record in PROTOOLS, which I find really helpful for subsequent takes.

However, you can't hear what has been recorded in sub-tracks previously while recording the new take, but you might be able to make it so you can hear your previous tracks while you record.

Worst case scenario, you merely move to a new track each take and record each pass on a fresh track allowing you to hear other wave files or MIDI/Instrument tracks.

To properly use Cubase in an x64 environment you have to make sure that you go into the shortcut properties and click so that it's always running with Administrator privileges. That way when the Waves plugins need access to the Waves shell, they'll get it and the plugins will work. This also makes sure that all your plugins run correctly and all your product registrations match up every time you run Cubase, otherwise you may install something that changes the Cubase profile a little bit and then you'll no longer be connected to the registry and you'll have to re-authorize all of plugins again, and if the Cubase ID doesn't match with the old Cubase ID stored in the product registration in the registry then that plugin wont work till you completely remove it from the system and reinstall. It's a huge mess, so yeah just run Cubase in administrator mode at all times.

To properly use Cubase in an x64 environment you have to make sure that you go into the shortcut properties and click so that it's always running with Administrator privileges. That way when the Waves plugins need access to the Waves shell, they'll get it and the plugins will work. This also makes sure that all your plugins run correctly and all your product registrations match up every time you run Cubase, otherwise you may install something that changes the Cubase profile a little bit and then you'll no longer be connected to the registry and you'll have to re-authorize all of plugins again, and if the Cubase ID doesn't match with the old Cubase ID stored in the product registration in the registry then that plugin wont work till you completely remove it from the system and reinstall. It's a huge mess, so yeah just run Cubase in administrator mode at all times.

I just tried doing this, I ran Cubase 64 bit as the administrator, went to Plug-in manager, selected my paths, and updated. I then got a message saying "Waveshel-vst is not compatible with current application. waveshell-vst and the waves plugnis can only run in applications that support VST shell plugins (kPlugCategShell)".

You can freeze as many tracks as you like; if you're exporting individual tracks though, as far as I know, it's one at a time.

I use the 64-bit version. Almost all my plugins are both 32 and 64-bit anyway, and with the 64-bit version, I'm not tied to a small amount of memory (granted, I only have 6 GB, but still).

What I mean is, for instance, when I record gang vocals, I'll make many takes of a single line and combine it into one track... in sonar, you can have more than one lane active, so no such thing is needed. In cubase, I'd need an obscene amount of tracks, so I'd like to bounce all these into a single track.