Double tracking questions

I was wondering if recording twice with little imperfections would give the same effect as copy and pasting and delaying a one of the tracks?

This track I recorded twice and delayed one tracks by a few ms, then when the guitar is comming in, I just copied and pasted take one on guitar tracks with the same delay settings :P

http://soundcloud.com/aires/dorian-practic-track-test

I was wondering if recording twice with little imperfections would give the same effect as copy and pasting and delaying a one of the tracks?

Last I checked, recording twice with the differences in performance is what creates that wall o' sound and the stereo image. Copy/paste/delay is the haas. Which isn't as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLdkR5Nv0w4

Double Trackin'. Makin' heads bang every where since the invention of metal and stereo.

Last I checked, recording twice with the differences in performance is what creates that wall o' sound and the stereo image. Copy/paste/delay is the haas. Which isn't as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLdkR5Nv0w4

Double Trackin'. Makin' heads bang every where since the invention of metal and stereo.

been knew all this, but i just wqnt to be lazy :P but the 2 styles get the same image sound tho if the delays are large in intervals

• 3 weeks later...

When I was lazy, I've tried to copy/paste some tracks, but man... no way!

It didn't work so well as double recording the tracks for me.

and also, when I used the copy/paste, I caught myself losing much time trying to delay and make some differences between the tracks..

I have a question related to this one. If I am trying to double track a rhythm guitar VST that's being played through a midi sequence what can I do to vary it just enough but not too much?

i tried adjusting the timing to be slightly off for the second recording but it sounded awful. I would think that recording a midi sequence twice would produce the same effect as copying and pasting an entire audio track right?

Not necessarily. If the VST sounds awful to begin with, it will still sound awful when double tracked. Furthermore, timing is just one little part of what makes a sound different, amplitude, phase, and frequency content also factor in. You're only creating a simple pan effect by using different timing.

You'd do better to pitch-bend one track a few steps up (no more than 10 cents, or 6 pitch bend levels if my memory and math is correct; but I suggest only 2 or 3), the other one down about the same. This, while not as varied as two real-world performances, should separate the tracks enough.

Or perhaps it's easier to just change amp sim settings. This would create a different frequency content in the amplified and distorted sound. Subtly applied effects, like auto-wah or flanger, might give your sounds some further differences, but be careful as these have more distinct sounds and easily sound like "newb adding effects to make sound better". :P

Using all three techniques (timing, pitch, amp settings) to some extent might yield the best results, but it all hinges on having a decent enough guitar sound to begin with.

Also, you don't need to have these tracks in stereo. It's unnecessary and might screw with the sound in ways you don't want. They're basically just left and right channel of the same sound anyway. A real guitar will usually be mono until it comes out of the amp.

Thanks Roz, just the information I was looking for.

More than likely I am going to invest in a guitar and maybe a few basic stomp boxes or a MEP. I picked up Ministry of Rock a year ago and have been hearing nothing but bad things. I am also getting tired of the limitations of using a guitar VST but it was 200 bucks at the time.

I am almost positive that MOR was on the soundtrack for Duke Nukem Forever. So at least someone is using it professionally!

There are good sampled guitars creeping into the market as of last year. Electri6ity and Shreddage are both wonderful sounding tools that fool all but none other than guitar professionals themselves. (Some guitar pros were fooled by Shreddage, I read in a review)

I dont see how people dont find then synthetic sounding.

Thanks Roz, just the information I was looking for.

More than likely I am going to invest in a guitar and maybe a few basic stomp boxes or a MEP. I picked up Ministry of Rock a year ago and have been hearing nothing but bad things. I am also getting tired of the limitations of using a guitar VST but it was 200 bucks at the time.

I am almost positive that MOR was on the soundtrack for Duke Nukem Forever. So at least someone is using it professionally!

Boss 59 Bassman is one great sounding overdrive pedal :P