UserID: 16102

Name of Game: Duke Nukem 3D

Name of Arrangement: Duke Nukem Jam HD

Name of Individual Song Arranged: Grabbag

Original Composer: Lee Jackson

Systems: PC, Playstation, N64,Xbox 360

Original Soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CezOHqlXAFY

Megadeth version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_9SGrc4Oo

Comments: This song has an extremely long history for me, going back to 2005 when I first created the original mix. It was originally inspired purely by Lee Jacksons “Grabbag” from the PC version of Duke Nukem 3D (which I use to play a lot). During production I discovered Megadeth had already done a cover of it, and thus started listening to it and becoming inspired. Some non-musician types might think this is just the Megadeth version with a solo, but I assure you it’s anything but. On closer inspection you will find that the vast majority of the composition is inspired much more directly from the original and shares only minor relation to Megadeth's. There are only a few small passages that are clearly influenced by Megadeth's cover, and they are still further altered to be unique. Even the original grab bag influences on close inspection have alterations to some of the chord structures and plenty of additional instrumentation and phrasing alterations. Then there are my own completely original passages added on top of everything to really set it apart. The quality of the entire mix has vastly improved in this HD remake to be much more on par with today’s musical standards. This was an enormous challenge to produce this track and I’m very pleased with the results. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, I've heard Megadeth's version a ton, and the backing instrumentation's absolutely nothing like it. The backing writing here was more dynamic and progressive.

On the production side, the drums consistently felt hollow as far as filling out the background, and this could sound more cohesive with some tweaks there. It wasn't a big deal given that everything else worked strongly, and the arrangement was creative.

The arrangement clearly stuck with the melodies we know and love, but there was a ton of personalization in the supporting writing and, from that, the dynamics. Loved the soloing on top of the foundation of the source tune to keep the original song in play while doing your own thing.

Nothing else to say other this rocks. Nice work, Chris!

YES (conditional on distortion fixes)

I'm totally fine with the arrangement on this, it sounds sufficiently expanded and personalized. That guitar solo at the end is ridiculous. However, I'm hearing a huge amount of fuzz/distortion on the drums almost all throughout the song. I can't tell if this is from my listening setup (maybe my headphone jack is wearing out) but I'm not hearing it on any other songs, so I'd like to see if anyone else is catching this.

EDIT: After getting some confirmation that I'm not just hearing things, I'm definitely going to go conditional on fixing all the distortion on the drums. Unlike Larry, that's actually a dealbreaker for me; it's distracting as a listener and it just becomes more noticeable with every pass, so hopefully we can get that resolved because this arrangement kicks all kinds of ass.

YES (conditional on distortion fixes)

I'm hearing a huge amount of fuzz/distortion on the drums almost all throughout the song. I can't tell if this is from my listening setup (maybe my headphone jack is wearing out) but I'm not hearing it on any other songs, so I'd like to see if anyone else is catching this.

Actually, that's a good catch. Maybe we can get Chris to take another pass at this, because there are minor clicks, pops, and distortions all over that percussion. There's not even a need to timestamp it, it's so pervasive. That's definitely a very legit issue. I'll go conditional on it as well. I could live it as a listener, but Emu's ultimately right that it's too messed up to let slide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[18:34] <@djpretzel> http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35950

[18:34] <@djpretzel> only issue is distortion? so I'm checking for that?

[18:34] <@djpretzel> when something's in special review, a post at the end explaining why would be good

[18:34] <Emu> listen to the drums

[18:34] <Emu> he's submitted several fixes and i'm still hearing the issue, and i think larry is too

[18:37] <@djpretzel> I hear it too

[18:37] <@djpretzel> where do I come in?

[18:38] <@djpretzel> final judgment based on mix as-is?

[18:38] <@djpretzel> I'd prefer he resub again, AND if he can't fix the distortion or hear it himself, give us the individual tracks broken down, at 75% volume, so we can remaster ourselves

[18:38] <@djpretzel> I'm surprised he can't hear it