recommend me some got' dang country music

Benjamin Briggs

I'm being serious. I have been unfairly writing off this genre for a long, long, long, long, long, long time for no reason other than (insert horrible reason here)

the fact of the matter is: I love punk rock, and believe it or not, that genre owes its LIFE to country music. every single familiar punk chord progression is also a familiar country chord progression

I blame blues for it all :o

so those of you who listen to country: please point me in the direction of the best of the best. if there is such a thing as "progressive country", I WANT TO HEAR THAT.

thanks! :3

edit: oh, I'd love some bluegrass too!

Don't listen to any country music past 1976, because after that popular opinion dictates its not REAL country. (whatever)

Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Hank Williams, David Allan Coe, Johnny Cash - that should all be a wealth of stuff right there.

Fun fact: If I were 10 years older, I would be Johnny Cash's grandson. No lie.

Also: closest I can even think of to Progressive Rock/Country is, no lie, Charlie Daniels "Devil Went Down to Georgia." I'm not a huge country guy, but I've never heard anything like that before and CHarlie does for the fiddle what all these prog-rock wanks do on their Moogs and Hammonds.

I'm not a huge country fan, either, but if you need a li'l something from this decade, Lady Antebellum is probably the best modern country group you'll find. They're hardly punk rock and likely not what you're looking for, but country has been heading in a pop direction for a while now. This might be the best in the contemporary department you'll find. Otherwise, I defer to Meteo or someone else who knows what they're talking about.

i don't really know dick about country or bluegrass and haven't made much of an effort to remedy that yet, but a few years ago my friend who's really into this type of stuff gave me an album by the greencards called "weather and water" that i really dig. i think it's more bluegrass than country, but either way, it's a great listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEyUVjp24ao

Well you could start with lynrd Skynrd, Its a bit more southern rock, but they got some great stuff thats a bit more country/ blues

Lynrd Skynrd

Ballad of Curtis lowe

But a bit more traditional County

here are some newer guys Such as

Zac Brown Band

Chicken Fried

Justin Moore

Jake Owen

Josh Thompson

Jason Aldean

This I Gotta See

Braid Paisley

these next few kinda have an outlaw feel

Blake Shelton

Ol` Red

Braid Paisley

Eastwood

Toby Keith

I got more.

progressive country? how does progressive bluegrass sound? anything chris thile has done - nickel creek, punch brothers, his solo stuff - is absolute, complete gold. i can't tell you how good this group is. and he won the world mandolin championships at age 11 or 12, if i remember correctly. just stunningly awesome.

the nickel creek album Why Let The Fire Die is probably the best single-album definition of progressive stuff before the album punch by the punch brothers, which blows the doors off of everything that came before it.

drumultima, where are you? you are a fellow thile lover who knows more about this than me.

Links are youtubes. Not always good quality; just what's available. Ignore the vids.

What prophet said, although not everything Thile has done is accessible. Nickle Creek for sure though.

Also, it's not that modern 'country' is bad, it's that it's been commercialized just like everything else, so you usually have to search to find good music. Plus, the same way music was grouped under mass-genres like 'rock' and 'jazz', and just as enlightening as those are, a term like 'country' proves to be just as useless. Regardless, I think country music has progressed and is far better now than when you strummed a few chords and sang along.

Here are a few recs. Note that I am far from an expert in country (and country-crossed genres) but these are simply excellent albums I've found in my dabbling. I know you asked for country and not cross-genres, but it's all good music and mixing with the more familiar makes for an easier transition.

Blugrass: Alison Krauss And Union Station. Aka Soggy Bottom Boys. You've heard them and the rest of their stuff is just as good.

Bluegrass/country (mostly bluegrass): Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band - The Mountain. I'm certain that several other works by those two (usually independent artists) are just as good, but that's one of those albums that I play to death and never get sick of, so I've yet to move on to discover more (surely to my loss).

Graveyard Shift

Alt Country: Neko Case (And Her Boyfriends). Blacklisted is my favorite by them, but I've also heard Fox Confessor [...] and Furnace Room Lullaby. All good stuff. I think "alt country" means whatever is country that doesn't meet Nashville's approval (like the "rebels" of the past), but in the end this is conventional pop-rock song structure with a twang... that's also really good.

Deep Red Bells

Country Rock: Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera. Great band; this is their best album. Second side is better. Earthy lyrics. Slighty dirty mixing (for effect, I assume) but excellent music. Highly recommended.

Daddy's Cup (different album)

Zip City

More to give, but that's more than enough input for one fag.