OCR02449 - *YES* Mega Man 2 'Blowin'em Outta the Water'

OceansAndrew

Remixer: TheGuitahHeroe

Game: Mega Man II and VI

Songs: 'Bubble Man Stage' (

) and 'Wind Man Stage' (
)

Title: "Blowin'em Outta the Water" (that is spelled correctly)

This was my entry for the first round of the Grand Robot Master Remix Battle headed by Darkesword. I remember having a lot of fun with this one, despite it being the first time I had ever remixed a theme that I did not want to remix :D

The round itself was a very close match between Gario and me; our mixes were pretty much perfectly evenly matched, but the votes were slightly in my favor. I really hope you guys get a sub letter from him soon with his mix as well :)

That's pretty much all I have to say really, it's a bit happy compared to my other stuff, but I hope you guys dig nonetheless :D

• 2 weeks later...

My first impression was untss untss untss untss!

However, keeping an open mind, I found a degree of complexity in the writing here, untss aside. I won't talk much about the production/instrumentation, because it's pretty standard for the genre.

The arrangement: you definitely jump around quite a bit between the two sources, and sometimes you do so in a harmonically complex or melodically interesting way. My favorite example of this occurs at 0:40 and then 0:52. You use the two themes as a call/response, and the bubble man melody is reharmonized in a very tasteful way.

On the other hand, some of the transitions are less graceful and smack of medleyitis, such as spots like 0:30 where you simply tag one melody after another with no particular continuity. The final section, around 2:20 in particular feels like it was just thrown on with no consideration for its overall purpose within the song.

Let me tell you, if the beat never changed, I wouldn't have listened twice to this submission, but you really do a good job of mixing it up and keeping my head from untssing right off my neck.

Ultimately, the melodic interplay and reharmonization are very well-executed, and while there are moments when I feel very conscious of the fact that I'm listening to a medley, on the whole the writing is quite clever and enjoyable.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I think Vig mentioned all the good parts. I found that while there are a couple slightly medley-feeling parts, nothing is really to the point that it's a detractor to the song. I agree there are some really good writing parts that shine out very well, and the overall production is nice. Vig mentioned 2:20 as being a weakspot, and I will agree, that was probably the weakest transition of the entire song.

Picking a lot of flaws, but that's because I know you're skill level. Definitely over the bar, and a fun listen!

YES

• 1 month later...

I think both previous judges have hit the flow/progression issues pretty well, so I won't be a dead horse.

Tone felt a little dull on the beat - seemed like some highs were missing from the kick & hats. But overall, production was pretty clean.

Nice arrangement work that could've benefitted from better transitions and continuity, but is still effective and a fun listen.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...