I dislike amp sims now...

They sound to.. harsh and weak in mids and highs at the same time (except guitar rig distortion pedals which sound unusually great. :P) and very weak in gain, or could it be my audio card, altho i doubt that, i think im going to start double micing amps now ehh :? altho I will need another sm57 so I can get the inner cone and the outer cone speaker at the same time for a warn and trebly tone, which i was avoiding so I dont have to spend money on a second shure :P.

I also tried the peavey sim, and it does not really sound like a 6505 to me, some tones do, but way to weak in gain as well.

Any tips?

P.S But no doubt amp sims have GREAT clean tones, but when overdriven, i'll rather use fl slayer then my dinky (oh no di'ent!)

Out of curiosity, how many amp sims have you tried?

Amplitube, Guitar Rig.

There is almost no reason to buy guitar amp sims like Guitar Rig when for the 300$ something like Amplitube will cost you, you can buy the real thing. Sure, maybe that won't get you a super high-end Engl head but you can definitely buy some quality solid states and even a few tube amp combos with that. Check out the "blackheart". You can (or at least you could at one point) also buy a Peavey 6505 combo for 600$.

For me that's really not a tough call. If you're in an apartment or wherever you can't crank it up, go for something like a POD.

I'm hoping to pick up a Blackstar 20w later this year, but I've been using amp/cab sims for years and have little complaint. NI's Guitar Rig is good for effects and Waves GTR has some good amp sims, seriously. Think about the sheer amount of value you are getting for the low cost on either of those products.

I will say that I've been using my ElevenRack almost exclusively for a few months now and am madly in love with it. It is all emulation, but whatever algorithms they are using are far above and beyond the competition. If I still played live then I'd add a GroundControl to it as well but for studio work the editor in Pro Tools is quite convenient. I should also mention that I have the Sweetwater presets as well as the official expansion.

I'm hoping to pick up a Blackstar 20w later this year, but I've been using amp/cab sims for years and have little complaint. NI's Guitar Rig is good for effects and Waves GTR has some good amp sims, seriously. Think about the sheer amount of value you are getting for the low cost on either of those products.

I will say that I've been using my ElevenRack almost exclusively for a few months now and am madly in love with it. It is all emulation, but whatever algorithms they are using are far above and beyond the competition. If I still played live then I'd add a GroundControl to it as well but for studio work the editor in Pro Tools is quite convenient. I should also mention that I have the Sweetwater presets as well as the official expansion.

Blackstar amps are great!

Amplitube, Guitar Rig.

There is almost no reason to buy guitar amp sims like Guitar Rig when for the 300$ something like Amplitube will cost you, you can buy the real thing. Sure, maybe that won't get you a super high-end Engl head but you can definitely buy some quality solid states and even a few tube amp combos with that. Check out the "blackheart". You can (or at least you could at one point) also buy a Peavey 6505 combo for 600$.

For me that's really not a tough call. If you're in an apartment or wherever you can't crank it up, go for something like a POD.

I'll look into this in the future then.

I don't agree that amp sims are terrible (you can get great tones with any of them) but I am willing to believe hardware amps are better. I only use Guitar Rig 4 Pro because I got it with a free $200 product voucher. xD

How are Line 6's amps, more specifically the "Spider IV"?

I'll look into this in the future then.

I don't agree that amp sims are terrible (you can get great tones with any of them) but I am willing to believe hardware amps are better. I only use Guitar Rig 4 Pro because I got it with a free $200 product voucher. xD

How are Line 6's amps, more specifically the "Spider IV"?

Hardware is way better then software any day.

I have a 5150 that I record, and I also use peavey Revalver MKIII. They're so identical that I can (and have) punch in with the amp sim over the recorded live amp track and you can't tell the difference. So people who have problems with modern amp sims are just full of shit. :)
They sound the same till you crank mids, then you start to notice a strong diffrence chord wise.
All Line6 amps are digital. That's software. Even their tube amps have digital modelling in the signal path.

Never picked on line 6, but I heard there stuff is good. (there HD pods I mean)

but the main reason i cant stand sim are cpu probs and getting a good gain setting on your interface to let you get good sustain on your sim, i cant even do tap solos, and im still working with the revalver.

I dont Hate the sims, but just not really digging the tones. but im not going to lie, revalver and guitar rig have some decent tones http://soundcloud.com/aires/crash-sample (revalver 6505)

but when i go to a guitar center and or a friend, the actual amps sound alot better, crisp and darker :P

Hearing amp tone through your home speakers or headphones in a mix is a lot different than listening to an amp in person.

I understand that, i'v been told that alot, and when recorded you notice the warm/darkness in mids on a real amp that modelers dont even when you have four dedicated tracks

as in 2 sims with diffrent virtual miking Left and right.

That you can include in what I said below with virtual miking,rooms,mic distance i just dont see it on sims.

But you do see it on sims. Some sims these days offer you the option of using recorded impulse responses, which can emulate your particular speaker and room, not to mention they come loaded with all kinds of mic models which very accurately color the sound just as the real mics would, so you can get the exact same sound from an amp sim that you can get from an amp in your room if you take a few minutes and learn what sets this software apart from the versions that were released 8 years ago.

And also going back to 8 years ago, I've discovered that some very early amp sims were used to produce tones on professional albums that sound simply amazing, yet when I used them back then they sounded like cheap toys to me. So in the end, like anything else in music, it comes down to the skill of the user. So blame yourself if your amp sims sound like ass.

But you do see it on sims. Some sims these days offer you the option of using recorded impulse responses, which can emulate your particular speaker and room, not to mention they come loaded with all kinds of mic models which very accurately color the sound just as the real mics would, so you can get the exact same sound from an amp sim that you can get from an amp in your room if you take a few minutes and learn what sets this software apart from the versions that were released 8 years ago.

All my sim tones using th1 are using 57's on the center speaker, and 57 on another one rim but with a warm feeling, and I tweak room controls in guitar rig often and I verb to weaken the sound if I need the guitar softer, all that is not a problem, and altho tone is half the issue thats not the main problem, its sustain and gain thats the problem, altho it could be im not giving my interface enough gain, im not getting sustain, cant really do tap solos, crank my interface then I can tap but its going to sound bad.

2. I damn right never said my guitar sims always sound like ass, and half the time I presets made from people I know, most tracks that i listen to were done through eleven rack, the main thing i said is that they canT beat real. Bolded T for editing justice!

And 5 years ago I was using guitar rig 2, and i did not really complain about it sounding bad because i thought it was good till I started using a amps with pedals.

You really need to start posting with some decency (by that I mean take some spelling and grammar classes). I don't believe you're on your phone all the time.

Why? You missed ONE SINGLE FREAKIN LETTER that changed your post from being serious to just contradicting yourself.

Take a look:

2. I damn right never said my guitar sims always sound like ass, and half the time I presets made from people I know, most tracks that i listen to were done through eleven rack, the main thing i said is that they can beat real.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to say that. :-| Would also help if you put a noun with that adjective. It's one thing to never use the shift key and then hit caps lock when you sign your PM's but it's another to just think the forums can decipher meaning out of your sentences when you post like you learned how to speak English 2 hours ago.

You really need to start posting with some decency (by that I mean take some spelling and grammar classes). I don't believe you're on your phone all the time.

Why? You missed ONE SINGLE FREAKIN LETTER that changed your post from being serious to just contradicting yourself.

Take a look:

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to say that. :-| Would also help if you put a noun with that adjective.

my bad for got the 't' XD

Edit:: How do you know im posting on my phone sometimes?

2. I damn right never said my guitar sims always sound like ass, and half the time I presets made from people I know, most tracks that i listen to were done through eleven rack, the main thing i said is that they can beat real.

Okay so if something can be made to sound exactly like the real thing (which I can do pretty easily, and so can anyone else who takes the time to tweak with things), and if you have not only the perfect model of your amp/mic/speaker/room, but can also model a huge number of amps you don't have in your house, it doesn't beat the real thing?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of having an amp or two in your studio, that's why I have my own amps, but to say that they cant sound as good as the real things is just silly. You need to stop playing with presets and start learning about what makes up good guitar tone. But I know that even after I completely destroy your idiotic points with hard facts (as I have) you'll come back with a new ridiculous point to argue about like "but my friend from last year gav guitar rig 3 and I preset the sound but it sounded faker than amps because of the mids because I dont understand what im talking about"

Notice the accuracy I achieved in copying one of your replies by leaving out words and using very incorrect grammar all while spewing irrelevant babble about a subject I really know very little about. It's this type of researching and observation that you should use when listening to your amp or any guitar tone you like to try and copy it via an amp sim.

Okay so if something can be made to sound exactly like the real thing (which I can do pretty easily, and so can anyone else who takes the time to tweak with things), and if you have not only the perfect model of your amp/mic/speaker/room, but can also model a huge number of amps you don't have in your house, it doesn't beat the real thing?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of having an amp or two in your studio, that's why I have my own amps, but to say that they cant sound as good as the real things is just silly. You need to stop playing with presets and start learning about what makes up good guitar tone. But I know that even after I completely destroy your idiotic points with hard facts (as I have) you'll come back with a new ridiculous point to argue about like "but my friend from last year gav guitar rig 3 and I preset the sound but it sounded faker than amps because of the mids because I dont understand what im talking about"

Notice the accuracy I achieved in copying one of your replies by leaving out words and using very incorrect grammar all while spewing irrelevant babble about a subject I really know very little about. It's this type of researching and observation that you should use when listening to your amp or any guitar tone you like to try and copy it via an amp sim.

Thats you rebuttal? *christ*

I dont play with pre-sets,i just use them half the time when i dont record, which i noticed your pushing in your argument(s). when I record i do the tones my self, and i keep notes on every thing i like in note pad.

2. I dont want any gear for apperal because one they take space, and getting a amp means knowing when my neighbors are out so I can even use the thing, i cant even use my practice amp til around 3pm....

3. I never said the shits cant sound like the real thing, i said in my opinion with some tones they dont, other people may say it sounds like the real thing, I dont really care......

you done?