OCR01352 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 'Harvest Hoedown'

djpretzel

Hello. This is Dj Orange with another submission.

Remix: Final Fantasy V "Harvest Hoedown"

Link:

(If right-click-save-as doesn't work, just left-click on the link and you should be re-directed to the file)

Some of the arrangement choices may need explaining, because this remix is kind of unorthodox (and cheesy). I've been studying up ELP, Triumvirat, King Crimson, Jeth Tull, and others for the past while and developing a taste for off-the-wall, gelatinous, lo-fi analogue synth that others unfortunately might not share. The bizarreness from 1:12 through 2:15 (a good chunk of this remix) is admittedly derivative of ELP's work, namely Tocatta on Brain Salad Surgery, but it's all of my own creation.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it despite the mediocre samples and stuff. Still waiting for the megasample fairy...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the samples are bad at all. What really counts is how they are processed and arranged. In this case, those two things are both done excellently. The arrangement here is refreshing, fun, and interpretive. The sounds themselves range from being solid to being psychadelic and eccentric, but certainly not low-quality. In particular, the pan flute lead is sequenced and processed well. Though the source isn't all that deep, DjOrange really took it and ran. This mix just goes to show that you can create a fun and enjoyable mix without having high-end samples.

YES

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff5.rsn - "Harvest" (ff5-1-16.spc)

Something nagging at me at 1:37 & 1:55, because it sounds like a section taken from some other Final Fantasy track that I can't put my finger on. Maybe just because it sounds kind of battle-ish, but it's gonna bug me.

In any case, really good stuff, though the source usage was too conservative. No problem with the samples at all. Geoff did a good job with the textures here and the synthetic feel of the mix wasn't a drawback at all.

The usage of the source melody was verbatim which threw up a red flag pushing me towards borderline, but the instrumentation was expanded nicely, the areas of liberal arrangement that used some of the source's foundations were fine, and the compositional additions independent of the source tune were very well thought out. Keep on improving, Geoff. Very enjoyable.

YES (borderline)

Zircon said refreshing; that's a good word for this mix. It's got a nice vibe that reminds me (at points) of Grandia music. The major key flute stuff has a nice sound.

Awesome percussion work here too. Weird texture, but it works. Lots of cool sounds mixing together in interesting ways. I like that.

This a fun piece, for sure.

YES!