Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

XZero

Just got back from watching it. The changes from the book to the film totally benefited the cinematic experience. I especially like the scenes with Ron and Hermione entering the chamber of secrets, which (if I recall correctly) was simply mentioned after the fact by Ron in the book. Using the chamber as the backdrop for the they-finally-kiss moment was kind of brilliant as well.

Considering Radcliffe is 21 now but looks 15, the aging seems reasonable. :<

Actually, I personally thought his aging looked the best of the 3. In the Harry Potter universe, Harry is 17 when he kills Voldemort since the battle happens somewhere around late-spring or early summer and his 18th birthday would be the end of that July. The epilogue is 19 years later, so he and the others are only supposed to be 35 (Ginny), 36, or 37. A young-looking person still looks fairly young, even into their thirties.

Hermione, however, aged very gracefully. And by that, I mean pretty much not at all. Still, I'm glad they went with the approach of just trying to make the cast look older rather than casting someone else to play their adult selves.

Harry'd be 37, as would Ron and Hermione, since their birthdays are earlier, and Ginny would be 36.

The Battle of Hogwarts would be close enough to the end of a school term, so jumping forward exactly 19 years would also be at the end of a school term. Since the epilogue happens as Harry's kids are boarding the Hogwarts Express to go off to school, it makes the most sense to say that it's 19 years and two months later. Harry is 17 for the majority of the book, including the battle, so exactly 19 years from there, he'd be 36. BUT, he has another birthday, at the end of July, before the school term starts, so he'll be a young 37.

Harry'd be 37, as would Ron and Hermione, since their birthdays are earlier, and Ginny would be 36.

The Battle of Hogwarts would be close enough to the end of a school term, so jumping forward exactly 19 years would also be at the end of a school term. Since the epilogue happens as Harry's kids are boarding the Hogwarts Express to go off to school, it makes the most sense to say that it's 19 years and two months later. Harry is 17 for the majority of the book, including the battle, so exactly 19 years from there, he'd be 36. BUT, he has another birthday, at the end of July, before the school term starts, so he'll be a young 37.

Wait, so 17 + 19 =/= 35? I honestly had taken the new term of school and other factors you mentioned into consideration, and 17 + 19 = 35, and 17 + 19 + 2 months = 36 for Harry is what I came to. Thus, I have successfully proven why I went to law school. We call smart people like you to be our expert witnesses because we suck at stuff like this :)

And by the way, on Brandon's point, am I mistaken, or did Ron look like he was starting to bald a little and wearing a sweater?

EDIT: Also, completely unrelated to the age issue, here's a report about the box office information for the movie: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/07/16/box-office-harry-potter-deathly-hallows-part-2/

Not unexpectedly, it is well on its way to trumping The Dark Knight's opening weekend, and it comparatively decimated Twilight New Moon, which I never saw (or had any interest in seeing), but Twilight apparently held the record for best midnight and first day release with about $70 million. Harry Potter earned $90+ million from 12am to 11:59pm on Friday. I'm assuming this is explained by the fact that this HP movie was the end of the whole franchise, which makes it de facto a huge event, and also that it seems to have a broader appeal than Twilight, particularly among the adult demographic.