MAGFest X! PMD Time :(

Liontamer

So Larry kinda talked me into doing an interview with some random person, I don't know who he was, but he was filming interviews on video. I was too tired and my mouth was dry and I was like "no nono!" but Larry's all like "Come oooon" so I had to do it. I remember thinking after it was over "Oh gosh, what did I just say?" I sorta hope the guy tosses all of that. Cause I think I basically said "I make commercial music that appeals to everyone for no reason, I should just quit." I needed someone to be there and yell "Wake up!" or "What are you saying?"

Too much to write, but I'm glad that Jarel and I actually got a decent toku party going this year in our room. We tried the same thing last year and it didn't work out. Nearly 3 hours of Kamen Rider with a ton of people watching!

Toku night was good stuff -- we should definitely make it an event next time around also.

So Larry kinda talked me into doing an interview with some random person, I don't know who he was, but he was filming interviews on video. I was too tired and my mouth was dry and I was like "no nono!" but Larry's all like "Come oooon" so I had to do it. I remember thinking after it was over "Oh gosh, what did I just say?" I sorta hope the guy tosses all of that. Cause I think I basically said "I make commercial music that appeals to everyone for no reason, I should just quit." I needed someone to be there and yell "Wake up!" or "What are you saying?"

phonetic hero's brother? I did that too. No worries, he's cool

Everything was perfect except that I didn't think to ask Uematsu for a photo until it was too late and - where was Larry!? We always get a few hours of deep-chat face time and I didn't see you, man. Not once! Oy. Well, we always hang quite a bit at the other things. I'll see you in Florida?

Great MAGFest, everyone. I'll see you out there.

I kinda expected more posts - we know we all loved MAGFest greatly!

I'm gonna be honest - this year PMD hit me pretty hard due to a crush that manifested during MAGFest and only really hit after the goodbyes. I've started to channel it into positive motivation to get things done though. Busying the mind & body is a great way to take away from situations that just aren't feasible currently (at least that's what I believe with my case), and I know I'm not the only one in this boat from this MAGFest. It wasn't even something I went & looked for.

Aside from romantic drama, I have many good things to take away from this MAGFest that I didn't mention in my more general post earlier. Here's a list of everything I enjoyed period.

+ Bus Boys & Poets! It was great eating there again, even though they had to split us into four groups, it was still fun jumping around socializing and in some ways even better than if they just stuck us in one gigantic table since there was room for us to go around and even sit down by some of the split groups.

+ Sitting around by the round tables by the escalators near the panel rooms. It was a nice chance to wind down and even do some gaming. I wish more people had 3DSs though, I would've loved to play more Mario Kart. Perhaps next year!

+ The massive Apples to Apples game at Stevo's on Sunday night - it was chaotic in a great way! And it also moved a lot faster than most Apples to Apples games do. I felt I lost my concentration as the game went on but it was fun when I entered.

+ Neo Turf Masters at SnappleMan's room. Dhsu, Christos (Snapple's brother), Sindra, Akumu, and me vs. SnappleMan, virt, and Phillippe. My team sucked the big one, but it was a first time playing for Dhsu, Sindra, and me so I say we were doing respectable all things considered.

+ In general, hanging around Christos, Sindra, and Akumu. Great set of people! I was a bit surprised how Akumu is in person, I still remember when he changed his sig to a gif of "OverClocked Faggots" with a flaming cowboy back when there were the content policy discussions going on :lol:

+ Hanging around Skummel

+ Chats with wildfire

+ Rosa Mexicano with OCR staff. Place is boss as I mentioned earlier, if a bit hellish to reserve for a party of 12. I ended up getting the number of the people in the party wrong but the restaurant worked with me just fine and didn't charge any extra fee. Great restaurant, well worth eating at again next MAGFest if anyone is up for it. zircon picked some excellent choices for the food items for our family style menu, although djpretzel was disappointed we didn't get the big flan due to Andy's desire for some churros. Seeing Jill buzzed from her margarita was pretty hilarious, and later on when she was drinking her Mike's Hard Lemonade too.

+ Running into virt & skilly (A_Rival) before the OCR panel and chatting it up some.

+ Entering the OCR panel in style with my drunken self...ok maybe not in style, but I certainly made an impression.

+ Elevators not being so terrible to go on!

+ OCR hotel room block! Next year we have to do an OCR suite in addition to the normal rooms to give us a great area for us to all chill as a group in.

+ Beating Taucer in the annual Tetris Attack challenge. Next year we need to get a group OCR TA session going, DarkCecil13 wanted in, and wildfire wanted to play too. Dhsu is also pretty good, and I hear Mazedude is also a beast at the game.

+ Breath strips that Arrow bought because Lizz was going crazy at the rest of us in the room making noises when sleeping. I think she has had to wake up all of us at least once throughout MAGFest, poor Lizz.

+ Kamen rider watching party in my room - that was quite fun!

+ Not getting sick

+ Saturday being warm as heck!

+ MtG with Vinnie, OA, Gario, and one of Vilecat's friends. I went 0-8, but I still had fun while doing it!

+ Seeing LuketheXDrunk go crazy, drunk or sober.

+ Seeing Metroid Metal, virt, part of Bit Brigade, The Minibosses, The OneUps, Year 200X, and the Earthbound Papas

+ Being one of 10 people or so who started the crazy mosh pit to Year 200X's cover of Battery (Metallica). We even threw around the scrawny security guards they had guarding all the FF fans who were pushing forward for dear life :lol: ! It has been years since I've been involved in a mosh pit, it is usually me guarding a group of friends at concerts in the front row from that. It also is almost the only time when you can push a girl and it be totally acceptable (she was participating in the pit)

+ Talking to/hanging out with norg, Snapple, Ashane, clansmaneddie and just everyone in general

+ Meeting chthonic! Too bad I didn't get to see more of Ben around :( . And Ectogemia! You've been relatively out of sight too!

+ Meeting DaMonz - I wish I got to hang around more, where the heck were you the whole weekend?

+ Meeting Demonstray. He may have been a project flake, but we're still cool. Was great seeing him and enjoying the DoD listening party in his vicinity!

+ The DoD listening party. It is easily one of the strongest DoD months ever, and pretty much my favorite so far. The quality across the board was stellar minus one or two tracks. Everyone put in max effort or close to it, so I have to give kudos for giving us a great time listening to great music. In a way it was a good thing that there were maybe half as many entries as usual. My voting kinda suffered towards the end of it (sorry OA) due to wildfire dragging me away to play Euchre but I survived my 4th year in a row voting! At least it's not like the hell of being there until 7 am (from 12 am) like the M7 DoD listening party was. That was brutal, I was dying during that one.

+ Drinking with everyone! It doesn't really need to be said, but it was good stuff.

The only negative I'd like to list...is that people were leeching off of alcohol without providing their own. I spent ~$100 on beer and didn't really get much return on it excepting Wednesday night. What's the deal people?

Overall, it was exciting times. I only wish I had more time to hang out with everyone - I was pretty much a social butterfly this year, all over the place and hard to nail down. I think the Marine Corps has changed me quite a bit in making me more of an extrovert, and for those who have known me over the years, they probably could notice the change. I'm drastically different from when djp, zirc, Jill, D-Lux, Jose, and Taucer met me back on that fateful day of Dec. 30, 2005. I still have fond memories of all the times we've all hung out over the years, and OCR has changed me for the better. OCR has provided me with many lifelong friends as well. Friends who are there unconditionally when you're down, or are having emotional issues. I've always been a willing ear, and others around have always been willing to hear my own woes. If it wasn't for the strong support network here and MAGFest 8, I may still be in an uncontrollable depression that plagued me in 2009 from a failed romantic involvement that was a relationship in all but name (namely my hesitancy to commit, which turned out to be the right choice) - I had the right mindset, but I just could not control my heart despite much effort. That also was about the time when I was starting to get a little out of control with starting projects :lol: , but I think part of that was as a mechanism for coping. The community has provided me and many with many fine outlets for venting and rambling, it's hard not to be appreciative for all it has given me.

I hope others around here have gotten or will get as much out of the community as I have. We're all pretty likeminded & have likeminded interests, so there's much to be said for having a pretty mature & friendly community on the internet that has blossomed into amazing real friendships and for some, lifelong relationships.

Thank you everyone, your influence on my life has been great on every level! I hope this doesn't end up being a farewell message of sorts since I am Marine Corps infantry, but I felt like I needed to get it out there after 6 years of knowing a lot of you in person.

You're a good guy, Wes, and probably one of the nicest dudes in the bunch. You're always welcome in my home. :)

As far as the booze issue goes, it's just one of those things. If you buy booze and set it out, people will drink it without any regard to who bought it. My advise is the stuff you leave out for public consumption is just going to be a loss. It's kind of hard to keep track of these things in a party atmosphere but it's best to find a place to keep it out of public view and then offer drinks to people instead of just letting them have at it. Since I will most likely have a room to myself again next year, you're more then welcome to stash stuff in my room since it's quite unlikely that I'd drink any myself.

Yeah. Ari and I got pretty used to the booze leeching. We always buy and I guess don't really expect others to provide. But when they do its always a pleasant surprise. Some people are super awesome such as Lukas and Walan though I always find that no matter how you try to syphon your booze, people sniff it out. Literally this year, five minutes after we bought ours and got to the room like thirty people showed up lol. Didn't even have to invite. Magfest lol.

The only negative I'd like to list...is that people were leeching off of alcohol without providing their own. I spent ~$100 on beer and didn't really get much return on it excepting Wednesday night. What's the deal people?

As far as the booze issue goes, it's just one of those things.

Yeah. Ari and I got pretty used to the booze leeching.

It was me. salook.gif

U mad?

I spent about $75 on alcohol, and I can thankfully say I drank about 80% of it myself.

Secret to success?

1. Don't be on the OCR block
  2. Hide the alcohol even though no one's around

#1 investment for MAGFest XI? Flask.

Solution #2:

Could probably mix it all in a hotel trash bin (clean it first, obviously) and funnel it back into hawiian punch bottles in the bathtub. Now you'd spent a handful of dollars and create 3+ gals of booze. Give that to everyone else, and keep the good stuff hidden for yourself.

Source: Too many fricken house parties.

#1 investment for MAGFest XI? Flask.

Dude, I thought ahead and was going to buy a flask when I bought my alcohol, but by the time I got to the store they were closed. Then I didn't end up having anything of the sort for MAG. :cry: You know years ago I actually saw the classiest flask and shot cups at Wal-Mart, totally unexpected place to see something like that...

Yeah. Ari and I got pretty used to the booze leeching.

It's like when you run into your therapist in public, and you're like "Oh hey, so I wanted to talk about--" and they're like "Dude, we're not on the clock right now.. please leave me alone." That is to say when you're good at something and do it professionally, people come to expect it in a way.. So you're like a pro bartender.. I do regret not tossing you some bucks though, I had some singles I think, I'm not sure.

They seriously need to get something more effective than a carnival bracelet next year. I pretty much rip it off as soon as I get it so I can shower the next morning. Then the cleaning lady throws it away. Not the best idea. I see people on the last day who still have theirs on and I'm like egad man, didn't you shower?

They seriously need to get something more effective than a carnival bracelet next year. I pretty much rip it off as soon as I get it so I can shower the next morning. Then the cleaning lady throws it away. Not the best idea. I see people on the last day who still have theirs on and I'm like egad man, didn't you shower?

I never shower

fact.

-Seen, recognized, but no chance to say hi: Prince of Darkness, Norg, Uematsu (saw him on my way out of the hotel, nobody was around him), Mazedude, Dhsu, and probably a few more.

Dude I sat next to you while you played Puzzle Strike.

I completely missed Tensei, and I don't know how. :[

I did however meet Mellogear, and his epic mustache.

+ Meeting DaMonz - I wish I got to hang around more, where the heck were you the whole weekend?

Well I was fooling around with Kun, just about everywhere actually. I guess we were unlucky? Or maybe I should have stayed around after the OCR panels instead of heading right back to my gamer magcraze xD But it was nice meeting you too! :)

By the way, am I the only one who thought that jamspace was ridiculously chaotic? I had a cool jam though, and I wish I'd have played with some of you guys. Next year? :D

Oh and I have a few suggestions for the OCR workshop panel. Should I start a new thread, or should I pm them to someone?